Dr. Strangelove survival kit

I don't think these are 2 dram vials. To me, they look like half-drams. They are commonly used for small amounts of chemicals, biological samples, sediments etc, typically found in science supplies rather than perfumeries. Here are some I found at the museum where I work (sorry for the yardstick being in metrics):

View attachment 637475

I have some older ones, but they have a grey rubber plug-type stop, not the press on white plastic.

Here's a source for glass vials in various dram sizes with white plastic stops: https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/vials.aspx

Good lead. I think I was looking at that website but I couldn't make the photos bigger. Im curious about the ones labeled "tooled neck". I will hunt around to see if I can order from someone in smaller quantities.

-wade

Im curious about the ones labeled "tooled neck".

I've got two different styles of white plastic stop vials, perhaps it will give you some idea about the type of rim you're after. I believe the ones with the paper label is the oldest of the two:

IMG_1073.JPGIMG_1072.JPG

I will hunt around to see if I can order from someone in smaller quantities.

I'm not entirely sure what they're named in English, but at least here's a Norwegian supplier selling what you're probably looking for:

http://no.frederiksen.eu/nettbutikk/felles-laboratorieutstyr/flasker--bokser--dunker/dramsglass

Using a little crude photogrammetry,

Rouble length = 242.4 pixels = 1X

vial height = 107.2 pixels = 0.44X

vial width = 30 pixels = 0.12X

So, just plug the length of your Ruble bill in and solve.

-MJ

Using a little crude photogrammetry,

So, just plug the length of your Ruble bill in and solve.

-MJ

Agreed, it should work out. However I don't think I took into consideration the perspective of the photo. If the vial was inline with the length of the Ruble we would be all set, but the image has some foreshortening. If someone wants to fool around with it the length of the bill is 102mm and the width 53mm.

-wade

2013-09.jpg

Adam Savage and his cameraman toured the Kubrick exhibit, and I snagged a few HD frames of the kit:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.16 PM.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.43 PM.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 465
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.16.04 PM.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.15.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 11.15.56 PM.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 308
Thats great Mike! I was hoping he stayed a little longer on the display. Maybe they will do another video down the road. Wish I could get out there to see that.

Adam Savage was in the process of creating a bunch of these kits in a Wired video I saw, why reinvent the wheel? He's probably got a researched answer to everything in the kit already. :)

I sent him a pm but he's Adam Savage. Busy has GOT to be his middle name.

Last edited:
This isn't a prop from the survival kit per se, but it's displayed alongside it in the exhibition so I thought I might as well ask here:

I bought the Nuclear Bomb Effects Computer on eBay and when it arrived I found that it looks a lot more green than the more blue looking ones in the exhibition.

It's definitely an original from 1962, just like the screen-used prop. I thought that maybe it looks greener because it may have yellowed from sunlight over time or something, but the white parts of it aren't yellowed very much at all.

nbec.jpg

When I did a google image search for these, the majority of the results look like the blue ones but a few are green too. Does anyone know if a greener one was just also sold alongside the blue one, or if there's some other reason for this?

This isn't a prop from the survival kit per se, but it's displayed alongside it in the exhibition so I thought I might as well ask here:

Thats a hard one to find. Great job!! I wanted one for my kit too. Found some available with books but were too much $$.

I was thinking the color varied by date but in my research I have photos of green and blue dated 1962. Im stumped.

Conqueror_Worm's high def photos of the Holy Bible & Russian Phrases book prove what I'd assumed: it's not an existing book, but rather a modified Langenscheidt's Lilliput Russian-to-English Dictionary, as is visible by the spine (53: Russian-English) and the noticeable seam along the edge of the spine that reveals that the Holy Bible & Russian Phrases cover was simply pasted on top of the dictionary. The background of the front cover (plain brick red) also differs from the crosshatched linen pattern of the rest of the cover.

Since I couldn't find a Lilliput Russian-English dictionary, I got myself a 1950s English-German one instead (since I'll be displaying it closed anyway) and made a custom wrap-around cover. The details are fully accurate screen-used prop except I chose to remove the visible seam and make the background of the front cover have the linen pattern, so it's kind of an "idealized version" of the prop:

xFSaYoW.jpg
K4l3smO.jpg

If anyone would like the file to print and wrap around a Langenscheidt's Lilliput dictionary, I'd be happy to share. PM me your email address and let me know if you'd prefer the version I made above or the "technically accurate" version with a flat red color background for the front cover and a visible seam. The thicknesses of the dictionaries all slightly differ, so I can't guarantee that it will fit every Lilliput.

Have been trying hard but can't find anything even similar to the movie one. It's veru frustrating as it's the only piece of the puzzle I have left before I can start my build :(

A side note on the calculator for fallout: the studio had a bunch made to hand out at theaters during the release so keep an eye out for those ones too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back