Dr. Strangelove survival kit

Finally received my Rubles from Azerbaidjan, took about a month. The "ones" are surprisingly small, I had no idea. will omit the larger denominations, looks like it would just be stacks of one ruble bills. 110 to go. Does anyone have an opinion as to how many rubber banded stacks there were? I don't have any screen caps to suggest it was more than one.
1 ruble.jpg

I ordered some bottles last night based on measurements I could get from the traveling Kubrick exhibit. I think I figured a little over 2" tall. 2 drams seems to be close, we'll see. Having the hardest time with the caps, which could be press on polyethylene. Searched through perfume testers as well, no luck. New words I learned if you want to try some google fu: serum vial, dram, PE press on plug.
2013-09.jpg

I see similar vials when I search for "bead vials," but most of them do not have the subtle neck the Strangelove vials seem to have :(

Now that you have the Roubles and the Liliput dictionary in hand, you should be able to get a good estimate of the size of the bottles by comparing them to them.

-MJ

I see similar vials when I search for "bead vials," but most of them do not have the subtle neck the Strangelove vials seem to have :(
-MJ

Yes that neck is killer. I dunno, I was hoping for some holy grail out there. I measured off the photos, although I wish I had a bottle that was more parallel to eliminate any error.

Same is true for the pens, no definitive markings to help me out. I was hoping for a second they were similar to the floating pen in 2001 but that was completely different.

-wade

Yeah, Dr. Heywood Floyd's pen was custom made for 2001 by Parker, IIRC. Very odd and futuristic looking. And that would have been made in '68 or 67? Years after Dr. S...

I'm looking at my copy of Dr. S now, let me know if you want any particular screencaps.

I doubt we'll get a close-up of a box of pens, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The issue of Playboy that Major Kong is reading is the June 1962 issue.

Made a composite of a few frames of the kit; pretty poor results, in my opinion, but maybe you all can divine something from it?

Also grabbed a few pics of pens used by the B-52 crew. It looks like it might have a brand name on the clip (Pilot? Biro?), but I can't make it out. Could be some old UK brand, for all I know.

Attachments

• Stack 2.jpg
    Stack 2.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 266
  • Pen 1.jpg
    Pen 1.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 235
  • shot0015.jpg
    shot0015.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 249
  • shot0021.jpg
    shot0021.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 267
One shot of a pen or two on Ripper's desk. Looks a bit different from the others?

Attachments

• shot0015.jpg
    shot0015.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 227
Made a composite of a few frames of the kit; pretty poor results, in my opinion, but maybe you all can divine something from it?

Also grabbed a few pics of pens used by the B-52 crew. It looks like it might have a brand name on the clip (Pilot? Biro?), but I can't make it out. Could be some old UK brand, for all I know.

really cool. let me run these through my crime solving computer. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I think those could be cartridge cases... the one in the top right I cant be sure. (on Rippers map)

Last edited:
Fascinating. The obvious alternative is a pencil; however, pencils produce shavings and erasure detritus, which could jam or short circuit electronics or sensitive mechanical parts. For the same reasons, ballpoint pens would be popular in space programs years later.

Ordered these from Amazon... couldn't find the white plug caps. They seem a little larger but will have to do for now. For the record these are 2 dram vials.
vials1.jpg
vials2.jpg
From the Kubrick show:
2013-09.jpg

Attachments

• 20160622_191523.jpg
    20160622_191523.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 229
I ordered some bottles last night based on measurements I could get from the traveling Kubrick exhibit. I think I figured a little over 2" tall. 2 drams seems to be close, we'll see. Having the hardest time with the caps, which could be press on polyethylene. Searched through perfume testers as well, no luck. New words I learned if you want to try some google fu: serum vial, dram, PE press on plug.
View attachment 636014

I don't think these are 2 dram vials. To me, they look like half-drams. They are commonly used for small amounts of chemicals, biological samples, sediments etc, typically found in science supplies rather than perfumeries. Here are some I found at the museum where I work (sorry for the yardstick being in metrics):

IMG_1071.JPG

I have some older ones, but they have a grey rubber plug-type stop, not the press on white plastic.

Here's a source for glass vials in various dram sizes with white plastic stops: https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/vials.aspx

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back