Dr. Strangelove survival kit

Those are nuclear blast damage calculators, IIRC. I think they were given away as promos. They're not in the survival pack, I don't think, but Strangelove uses one on screen.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 272
good eyes! I should really watch the movie again. I wonder if any of the survival items are found elsewhere in the film. I would agree that it probably wasn't in pack. will include it in the extras if I can find one.

Re scaled my ammo cartons. Laser printer did not like using cardstock for some reason had all sorts of issues. Art work is so so, will re do when I have more enthusiasm.
2cartons_ammo.jpg

Roubles. As you can tell by the file name, these are Pick 222 (or P222), which is a banknote catalog reference number. You can look them up on eBay that way. They should be cheap.

-MJ

Attachments

• roubles.jpg
    roubles.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 277
  • RussiaP222a-1Ruble-1961-donatedoy_b.jpg
    RussiaP222a-1Ruble-1961-donatedoy_b.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 300dpi.jpg
    300dpi.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 287
Great work!

the $100 in rubles translated to 400 Soviet Rubles in 1960 when the movie was set and was held by two rubber bands; the HD prints can be found on Wikipedia and are 3"x 5.5"; Im assuming they wanted the most disperse range of money and probably wouldn't have just had 4 100 bills, so I put together 200,100,50,10,10,10,10,5,3,1,1.
I was going down this road then I realized the ones seem to be smaller than the other 1961 denominations. So now i'm thinking stacks of ones? Mike, any thoughts.

Soviet money looks wicked cheap. Im waiting for something I bought weeks ago... hope its the right "one" at least.

The box I made turned out to be smaller (left). I guess the box size depends on the way the bullets are stored inside, newer ones have styrofoam or plastic inserts. Im going to scale up my box to be closer to the new one (right). 5 1/2" x 2 13/16" x 1 3/8". Hopefully more stuff comes in the mail today!

Mid-20th century pistol ammo would at best only have very thing cardboard inserts, so that the dimensions of the box would be almost only the with of the cases themselves. Here's a German 9mm cartridge box showing the typical stacking:

17322.jpg

The Match ammunition box has 50 rounds (the typical number) and looks like it is stacked 5 x 10. 1950s ammo boxes would have a box-with-lid construction:

ammo_45acp_case_box_375.jpg

Here's a better image of the lid, in case you want to make a military style box:

74689_ts.jpg

Alternative box style:

post-8381-1337078494.jpg

cool thanks for the info. originally I was going to make a 2 part box with a lid, like in your second photo.
d5a1654d6b9f195d907b71757f9246aa.jpg

Then I was looking at the screen cap and it seems to have a flap opening on the side. (or its a lid which hinges in the top back and wraps over to the front)

6.jpg

So I went this route.

IMG_3868__44039.1422560904.1280.1280.jpeg
I am probably on the larger side... would like to pick up a 1960 carton to work off of.

Last edited:
Then I was looking at the screen cap and it seems to have a flap opening on the side. (or its a lid which hinges in the top back and wraps over to the front)

Side opening boxes probably would have an inner cardboard tray, like this lend-lease box:

8408d1215443444-45-ammo-box-royal-connections-45-auto-cartridge-box-spent-cases..jpg

I am probably on the larger side... would like to pick up a 1960 carton to work off of.

The box in the picture is 123mm long, 67mm wide and 35mm tall according to the owner. Unless the Match ammo box has an insert, it should go for it too. Hope this helps.

According to Wikipedia, the 'official' exchange rate in 1961 was 0.9 R = $1. That lasted until '72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_ruble#Historical_official_exchange_rates

According to this Russian article: https://www.rt.com/business/217003-russian-ruble-tumultuous-history/

"Throughout the Soviet Union, the ruble was little used outside state borders, so the government kept the official rate close to the dollar, a massive overvaluation."

I think they do change size by denomination, IIRC, the 1 note was very small.

If you want to calculate an exchange rate, "The currency was not internationally exchangeable and its export was illegal. The Soviet ruble of 1961 was formally equal to 0.987412 gram of gold, but the exchange for gold was never available to the general public. This ruble maintained a constant exchange rate at 40 Kopeks per Pound Sterling until 1992..." (Wikipedia).

-MJ

The box in the picture is 123mm long, 67mm wide and 35mm tall according to the owner. Unless the Match ammo box has an insert, it should go for it too. Hope this helps.

Yes super helpful. This is actually closer to what I started with. Your right, the newer box must have had additional packing to hold the bullets. Thank you

I thought for sure this was a gag made up for Adams kit but apparently Langenscheidt's was a company that print a line of "Lilliput" miniature books. In the mail today #52 English-Russian dictionary. Was there a #53 Holy Bible/Russian Phrases? I haven't found one yet, so for now... 1 Rooshen Bible -er Dictionary, check!

lilliput.jpg

So for the purposes of this pack do you think we include a little over 100 Rubles? This would make things a little easier.

thanks Mike

I don't know; that's really up to you. It would be, what, 111 Roubles? I'm sure that on the black market $100 could buy many more Roubles than that...

It does beg the question, if SAC is equipping every bomber crewman with at least 100 Roubles, where are they getting these tens of thousands Rouble notes? ;)

-MJ

I thought for sure this was a gag made up for Adams kit but apparently Langenscheidt's was a company that print a line of "Lilliput" miniature books. In the mail today #52 English-Russian dictionary. Was there a #53 Holy Bible/Russian Phrases? I haven't found one yet, so for now... 1 Rooshen Bible -er Dictionary, check!

View attachment 633464

Wow, that's a great find. I vaguely remember having one of those dictionaries with the plastic cover years ago. You used to see them at the impulse buy sections of bookstores, near the checkout. According to a quick Google search #53 is a French-English dictionary.

That's hilarious.

Got this old ammo carton in the mail today. Friendly Flyer was spot on. Ill use this old box to make another set of cartons.

old box.jpg

Below is my first attempt, the vintage box, my second attempt, and modern ammo.

4 boxes.jpg

Im also going to try to get closer to the colors in the vintage box.

Got my divers wrist compass in the mail today. Looks similar but the packaging makes me think its pretty modern, 1980s maybe? Sorry for the crappy photos.
wc1.jpgwrist compass2.jpg
wrist compass3.jpg

Getting a little closer to my ammo boxes. I found these on ebay, closest i've found so far. My finished version will change the top to read "match ammunition" instead of "center fire and the warning on the left.
newest ammo.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back