Dr. Strangelove survival kit

Box open.

The hinges look like they might be clear. Thick clear tape? Or clear soft plastic?

Again, I'm guessing those are the nylons on the far left.

That might be a box of ammo north of the compass.

Might also be a box of ammo underneath the rubles.

Great stuff!! I'm excited to see what comes of this...

Nice spot on the wrist compass. Has any one seen one like this before? - doesn't look us mil issue to me. Unless it's later and has a custom band.

Packs of Spearmint and Doublemint gum. Note that the Doublemint has little mint sprigs on both ends of the pack, which is not evident in the screencap. Spearmint, however, has mint thingies only on one end, which looks like a match to the gum on screen, assuming his thumb is covering the mint leaves. The dashed "zip strip" I cannot explain.

resurrected again!

This project is forever on the back burner and back of my mind, and i tend to revisit it every 6 months only to spend 12+ hours straight "researching/investigating" military surplus items on the internet. :roll eyes

one day....one day. Anyways, I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out the "wrist compass" in the photos. It aint on the list, but seeing it in almost full detail is such a tease! It has a lot more data than a compass..maybe technical? And i have yet to see a similar one to that in the film. Looks like a Rubber "divers" style cover/boot over a black face pressure gauge. ANy one stumble upon the make or model or something similar?

Thanks! lets keep this going.

links....
wi08_gr.jpg

http://www.atra.name/ThumbnailFrame.htm

Compass Museum - Wrist Compasses

Im currently in the prosses of this build. I have some info that I haven't seen on here. First of all the box, the 45 caliber fits very snugly in the shot and it seems that the dimensions are 9"x 6.75"x 3.5". The 45 caliber automatic is a standard gun, so there isn't much lee way for that. The 2 boxes of ammunition were "western Super Match" 45 ammunition. the food rations is a rectangle thin metal box that has "Food Packet Survival. " The bible and Russian phrase is about 2"x 1.25" and has "53 Russian/ English" written on its spine in pen. the $100 in rubles translated to 400 Soviet Rubles in 1960 when the movie was set and was held by two rubber bands; the HD prints can be found on Wikipedia and are 3"x 5.5"; Im assuming they wanted the most disperse range of money and probably wouldn't have just had 4 100 bills, so I put together 200,100,50,10,10,10,10,5,3,1,1. the $100 in gold is very hard as no shots are taken of it in any container, if someone could message any info about it, I would most appreciative. the packs of gum are Wrigley's gum, not double mint; I suggest printing decals and wrapping it around modern double mint gum. The phrophylactics are just condoms and again, have no real shots. the 3 lipsticks were tricky, in 1960, lipstick was lingo for modern chapstick and they can be found on google under "military chapstick". the nylon stockings are standard and just in a metal box. the 3 pens that are not on the list are unknown as well as the wrist compass

the $100 in gold is very hard as no shots are taken of it in any container.
After doing some reading it seems pilots had "barter gold" either sewn into their vest or melted into a block of rubber. I found a few photos of WWII era don't know if it was the same for the 1960s. British Gold Sovereign comes up in searches as well. In 1964 gold was $35.35 ounce, Gold Sovereign was .23 Troy Ounces... if i've done my math correctly i'm going to include 12 Sovereigns although most photos show a mix of rings and coins in the kit. Would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank youusg_army_survivalgold_03.jpg

the 3 lipsticks were tricky, in 1960, lipstick was lingo for modern chapstick and they can be found on google under "military chapstick".
I really liked this idea, I even bought Vietnam era "aviators lipstick" for my build. The more I look at it though it seems like 3 identical shiny lipstick tubes standing up in one of the screen shots. Another item used for trading I guess. From the photos of Adams collection, looks like he chose 3 gold lipsticks. Opinions welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm inclined to think they're women's lipstick; I think that would make more sense, especially when considered with the nylons.

They may have some design embossed on the top of the cap, but I can't be sure.

I actually think we still have a ww2 backpack around here with those straps and friction teeth.

Any number on on-line sites sell old military surplus from the east Block army, which should have the correct type of straps and buckles.

Pantyhose hasn't really changed in 70 years either..

Hoses from back then would have been silk or nylon (not lycra like most modern hoses), tan or black with a seam at the backside:

bddcaac762f680c5b15704309d6f7fa8.jpg

They would also be separate stockings (to be held up by suspenders) rather than pantyhoses with a croch

Received this in the mail today. I was a little surprised at how small it was. Side note: The stamp reads, "For one man for three days" (1953). Is there a 4 day version, a newer one from the 60s perhaps?
Food Packet.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back