TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: Small Update

I basically agree, the main body is flat black, but those inner lines are a textured matte black, which you can see in that close pass shot from the D23 video in message #70.

I basically agree, the main body is flat black, but those inner lines are a textured matte black, which you can see in that close pass shot from the D23 video in message #70.

It doesn't look like the texture was intentional to me. If I were to try and paint a satin or gloss black on top of that "rubber" soft touch I would get much the same appearance.

Another pics I found on the net of the real Quorra prop from the PIH auction, nenox, as you can see the disc has a sanded or satinized surface, which extends to the inner C ring, where the c gap is and on the opposite side, except for the little space between the grooved lines and the inner side of the C ring where the groove engulfs them. As well you'll have to cut small triangles covering the cutouts aligning the disc shape.

trondisc.jpg

Another observation I did, the poster pics showed only the special disc auctioned, where it doesn't posses the small cutouts, that means, a least two different discs have been used for the movie.

That is not Quorra's disc. That disc was a 10 inch hero version donated by Disney to Variety charities, which Profiles auctioned. Quora's disc was 8.5 inches in diameter for far shots, and on her back. The size of the disc changed only at the end of the film when other both Sam, and Kevin Flynn had to handle it on the close-ups. This info was confirmed by Disney. The Deluxe Sam Flynn toy is the correct Hero Quora disc size. Also note that the auctioned disc was never advertised as her disc. The assumption was because they used a photo to illustrate the disk itself for the sale.

Here is something that has been confusing me. Depending on the disc the Matte vs Satin sections seem to flip.

to Determine which is satin and which is matte I look at the reflection of light.

Matte |-----(more diffused)-<-<-[Highlights]->->-(more defined)-----| Satin

Exhibit A: Auctioned Disc ( appears that the body is Satin and the Strip is Matte)
trondisc.jpg

Exhibit B: D23 Disc ( appears that the body is Matte and the Strip is Satin)
bildschirmfotodisneyd23.png

Small thing I wanted to post in relation to the Identity disk after re-watching the film. It appears that the lights on the outer ring are in almost indicernable groupings of 3 lights/LEDs, total groupings I was not able to view. The inner C-ring has the same kinds of groupings, however I was able to count a total of 16 groupings, having 8 per side

Just figured this info my be relevant if not already established

nexnox, I have found an interesting pic of the disc blade on the side, hold by Jeff for the e-Motion capture and his body stand-in, it seems to be lit by 3 LED for each blade sections. The LED are as wide as the gap of the inner "C" ring as you can see, if you draw lines to the inner section. And the metal collar are slightly lit...

newjeff.jpg

Last edited:
I just went to the movie again and I could clearly see the LED's grouped like that in several scenes when the real prop was held sideways. It might have helped that I saw it in 3D this time.

Also, you can see that the end notches have the translucent material filled in, in the edge notches.

newjeff1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc :: Mold Pics

Look at all those people living in denial! :)

Ok, but it gets a bit boring up here. Here is a cool pic though!
twitpic-from-space-engadget.png

but alas, I don't technically work for ISS.

Last edited:
I think I figured out what those circular pins things are on the disc, or at least one side of the disc (the ones I'm referring to are the four metal/steel/silver looking bits). After looking at that picture from the Profiles of Hollywood I thought it was odd how those things looked in comparison to the photos posted. Could it be possible that they use small Earth magnets on one side? The reason why I ask is because going off the picture of the ID Disc, they look almost like small Earth magnets. Just looking at them reminded me of the STTNG ranking pins that Dietrich (Cmdr.Kerner) made and brought with him when he came to Florida in November, and I remember he talked about them being Earth magnets, and they certainly had a strong connection on them.

I think they may be Earth magnets. It makes sense to have them on one side (and use whatever it is on the "front" side, those rivet looking things), especially for shots where Sam pulls his Disc off his the back housing that holds the disc when not in use (which he is seen doing a couple of times in the film).

Yes, we ID's the backside to have the 4 earth magnets to attach to the costume and the frontside has the 4 metal funnel-shaped collars with a LED under that. They can light up to transmit the data/life pattern above it, as seen in the end scenes of the movie showing Quorra's pattern.

Yes, we ID's the backside to have the 4 earth magnets to attach to the costume and the frontside has the 4 metal funnel-shaped collars with a LED under that. They can light up to transmit the data/life pattern above it, as seen in the end scenes of the movie showing Quorra's pattern.

Yup, the magnets are pretty strong (being earth magnets and all.) They grab individual coins rather well in the test that I did on the disk. :)

Hey Rick! *bow before the ID Disc maker* Can you tell us now, since Legacy is out and I hope the NDA is expired, what exact diameter the disc has and how the blade is done and what the metal collar houses, and if so far we are close with our assumptions to your work.... pretty please :D

You guys have really done your home work. Very nice. I wouldn't got to that expense though. Bravo. Looks great. Nice pics.

Howdy Rick!

I'm also wondering if you might be able to talk about the disk as well. (perhaps a personal message to keep the thread a little cleaner?)

I'm a little worried in the back of my head if there was ever a time I'd want to replace the power source in the disk. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back