Rey's terrible very bad Lightsaber skills: Star Wars

I never got that feeling from ESB, ( born in 72 so I was FULLY immersed with my 3 Bros), I figured Luke was particularly strong in the force like his father but there wasn't any "chosen one" stuff in ESB. I saw it like inherited athletic ability or potential. The Skywalkers weren't presented as some lineage of savior's born from the magical will of the Force. Just force users that were particularly special since the force was a legendary concept at the time and most people during the OT had never seen a Jedi or the force being manipulated. To me the things that made Luke heroic were the personal choices he made, not the will of the (lightside) force guiding his moral decisions, conversely, Darth Vader is villainous because of his choices and not because of an external will of the (darkside) force guiding his choices. The potential for greatness or a tragic fall lies in the person not with the Force.
I came off too strongly to make my point but let me clarify. I didn't walk away from ESB thinking there was anything wrong with The Force at all. What I meant was that the moment Vader became Luke's father his role as the "everyman" fell by the wayside. It was only in reflection years after RotJ I realized how much the original concept evolved. I just point to ESB's ending as a turning point.

In 1977 I was 11 when I saw Star Wars and in the years between that and ESB we imagined anybody could be a Jedi. It's really in RotJ and PT that SW started to invest more into "the Chosen one" themes over themes about The Force being a universal power uniting all living things. Midichlorians was simply an awful culmination.

Last edited:
..in the Wampa ice cave. Where he reaches out for his saber with the Force. As a kid, I can remember that being an ability not yet revealed, but it was not jarring to see Luke pull it off...

I can remember in the Star Wars comic the Death Star conference scene, where Vader levitates a cup of coffee into his hand. This put the idea of telekinesis out there long before TESB.

I can remember in the Star Wars comic the Death Star conference scene, where Vader levitates a cup of coffee into his hand. This put the idea of telekinesis out there long before TESB.
Coffee? Seriously? I didn’t remember that from the comic.

Coffee? Seriously? I didn’t remember that from the comic.

I clearly remember the image of the cup in midair. And if I remember right it was in the novel as well, though no mention of how he would have drank it.

ETA: found it.
12.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll do you one better. I’ll prove you RIGHT, AND I’ll prove that it was all part of a plot by Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson! They’re out to ruin things, don’t you know! They’re ruiners! I’ll also prove that RJ’s true name isn’t “Rian” at all, that’s a fabrication. He was born as “Ruin Johnson.”

How could we have been so blind?

Beware! Secure your loved ones! :darnkids

Show me one post in the last six months here from anyone who finds TLJ a repulsive Star Wars movie that said the movie ruined their childhood, just one. You cannot.

This and the use of one guy on You Tube pulling apart his action figures is just another way that the people who have convinced themselves that this is a good movie and even one that isnt a great fan ignore the fact that most of the world does not agree with their view on the film and the state of Star Wars and the people running/ruining it and take great pleasure trying to make them seem hysterical and illogical. The fact some threads get derailed here isnt something due to chance either btw.

Show me one post in the last six months here from anyone who finds TLJ a repulsive Star Wars movie that said the movie ruined their childhood, just one. You cannot.
51C71EC8-AE7B-43C9-B970-794321E1216C.jpeg

Putting aside the fact that I’m now being asked to give supporting evidence for the basis of a joke ( :lol ), I believe that post should meet your specifications as to age, origin, and content.

4BED0572-9077-427F-8F1D-1EBD6426B945.jpeg

Seems you read it too, actually... so I’m not sure why I needed to go fetch an example. In any case, I wasn’t actually referring to anything here on the RPF, specifically, just having a bit of fun with a phrase that I find a bit... much. Just as you seemingly did, per your screencapped response.

ignore the fact that most of the world does not agree with their view on the film and the state of Star Wars and the people running/ruining it and take great pleasure trying to make them seem hysterical and illogical. The fact some threads get derailed here isnt something due to chance either btw.

It is most definitely not a FACT that "most of the world does not agree..."

Clearly there are many who do not agree. But they are not "most of the world".

Certainly not a FACT. It is a grossly subjective opinion... nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 834197

Putting aside the fact that I’m now being asked to give supporting evidence for the basis of a joke ( :lol ), I believe that post should meet your specifications as to age, origin, and content.

View attachment 834198

Seems you read it too, actually... so I’m not sure why I needed to go fetch an example. In any case, I wasn’t actually referring to anything here on the RPF, specifically, just having a bit of fun with a phrase that I find a bit... much. Just as you seemingly did, per your screencapped response.

download.jpg

Based upon the way The Wook (an adult man) has acted over the multiple multiple Star Wars related threads and subjects over the past six (SIX!) months since The Last Jedi got released, I'd happily believe it was the case with him.

That guy was a walking broken record.

The Entertainment and Movie Talk section has been a total quagmire since that film got released, to the point where I rarely even bother with it now. Any Star Wars related thread and it will be the same guys complaining (again) about The Last Jedi or 'SJW's'.

While ESB gave us one of the best plot twists in movie history - It did so at the cost of Luke's universal relatability.
And the cost of Obi-Wan's competence!
"Well, my former student has turned evil and is now off to oversee the construction of giant murderships. I'll just take the son he doesn't know exists, give him the name 'Skywalker', and put him in the care of his Step-Uncle, on Anakin's home planet. It's a perfect protection plan!"

This and the use of one guy on You Tube pulling apart his action figures is just another way that the people who have convinced themselves that this is a good movie and even one that isnt a great fan ignore the fact that most of the world does not agree with their view on the film and the state of Star Wars and the people running/ruining it and take great pleasure trying to make them seem hysterical and illogical.

I call foul. You can't call out someone else's use a strawman and then immediately follow up with creating one of your own. I'm pretty sure that no one who liked TLJ had to "convince" themselves to like it, and your assertion that "most of the world" doesn't agree with their like of the film is pretty much debunked by box office numbers.

The very notion of the Skywalker lineage being "the chosen" people is a violation of the universal concept of The Force as established in ANH. Luke was introduced as someone with whom the audience is supposed to relate - an "everyman" who learns that the key to perseverance in a vast universe lies in opening up his mind and spirit to limitless possibility. Through that we feel we can do the same.

While ESB gave us one of the best plot twists in movie history - It did so at the cost of Luke's universal relatability.

The Force in ANH inspired kids to imagine they can unlock limitless potential with belief and will. But, from ESB forward, and for generations of kids that grew up with ESB and RotJ The Force really unlocks limitless potential .... only if you are a Skywalker.

The notion of midichlorians epitomizes that miserable idea.

Yeah, but that's actually something I like about TLJ: it takes the notion of EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SKYWALKERS and opens it back up to the nobodies. Granted, it gets there in a weird way that starts touching on the "will of the Force" and such (which I enjoy, but I recognize not everyone does), but it still gets there. You don't have to be a Skywalker to be a Jedi anymore. You could be a stable boy or a junk scavenger.

I mind the "Chosen One" a lot less after watching the Clone Wars cartoon and seeing how it's really just an interpretation of a prophecy, and one that has multiple interpretations apparently. In a way, the notion of a "Chosen One" is what actually brings about the destruction of both the Sith and the Jedi. It brings balance to the Force, but it does so by basically mashing a reset button on the whole thing, which continues up through TLJ. And it's the Jedi's own failure to understand the prophecy that screws 'em in the end, which just ties back into the whole thing where their hubris and detachment ultimately bring them down.

Man, did they get a 12 year old that worked cheap to draw this?

If it's adaptation I think it is, Howard Chaykin did the artwork based on a single viewing of a rough cut in early 77, rushing to get it out the door - the first 3 issues were on stands before the movie was released in May.

Yeah, that first six issue run of the Marvel comic is kinda weird in it's art style. I don't know if it was the inkers or if his artwork changed or what over the course of the run. Issue one looks pretty rough. Issues 2-5 are all pretty consistent in their art style, which is much better than issue one (although still pretty bad). And by issue six it's pretty damn good. In fact I would almost say issue six is some of the best SW comic book art ever. Looking at issue one and issue six are like looking at the differences between night and day. Yet they are all credited as the same artist.

Not sure what happened there.

Yeah, that first six issue run of the Marvel comic is kinda weird in it's art style. I don't know if it was the inkers or if his artwork changed or what over the course of the run. Issue one looks pretty rough. Issues 2-5 are all pretty consistent in their art style, which is much better than issue one (although still pretty bad). And by issue six it's pretty damn good. In fact I would almost say issue six is some of the best SW comic book art ever. Looking at issue one and issue six are like looking at the differences between night and day. Yet they are all credited as the same artist.

Not sure what happened there.

In my opinion, the best Star Wars comic art was Al Williamson's run.

View attachment 834197

View attachment 834198

Technically, it only damaged Old Kens childhood, not ruined it, big difference and I was merely commenting that I found TLJ so offensive that I nearly gave up entirely on Star Wars after it as well. Kind of impressive and creepy that you found those anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Based upon the way The Wook (an adult man) has acted over the multiple multiple Star Wars related threads and subjects over the past six (SIX!) months since The Last Jedi got released, I'd happily believe it was the case with him.

That guy was a walking broken record.

The Entertainment and Movie Talk section has been a total quagmire since that film got released, to the point where I rarely even bother with it now. Any Star Wars related thread and it will be the same guys complaining (again) about The Last Jedi or 'SJW's'.

Its considered poor form to talk about people here who cannot respond because they have been banned just so you know. Unless its about a specific prop project or sale in the Junkyard or Project run section.

In my opinion, the best Star Wars comic art was Al Williamson's run.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I fell in love with his style when he did the daily SW newspaper strips, and was thrilled when he later did the ESB adaptation.

Though I also have a soft spot for Carmine Infantino’s stylized work from right after ANH (almost) right up to the ESB adaption.

M

ETA - Little bit of a faulty memory on my part – ii just remembered t was Russ Manning who first did the original newspaper strip; I really liked his work as well.

Last edited:
Technically, it only damaged Old Kens childhood, not ruined it, big difference and I was merely commenting that I found TLJ so offensive that I nearly gave up entirely on Star Wars after it as well. Kind of impressive and creepy that you found those anyway.

Technically, I’m bored with this conversation, but since you brought it up:

36C7AAB1-EBAD-49C2-8FB8-200F615C7DEC.jpeg

(As far as finding posts, I give thanks to the search tool. Very powerful.)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back