Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Well, JJ dumped on the table set by Lucas, so...

It is the penultimate film of this trilogy, being the second of three parts.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on the film and I respect that.

You are also correct regarding the classic definition of the word Penultimate however, there is an evolving modern slang form in usage due to its similarity to the word ultimate.
I believe Johnson is using it in this slang form as he would obviously know his film was 2nd in the trilogy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=penultimate&amp=true

Well, JJ dumped on the table set by Lucas, so...

It is the penultimate film of this trilogy, being the second of three parts.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on the film and I respect that.

You are also correct regarding the classic definition of the word Penultimate however, there is an evolving modern slang form in usage due to its similarity to the word ultimate.
I believe Johnson is using it in this slang form as he would obviously know his film was 2nd in the trilogy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=penultimate&amp=true

Dang Robn1, why did you use the correct definition, instead of the one all the hip kids are using that is just plain wrong?

Oy vey.

Dang Robn1, why did you use the correct definition, instead of the one all the hip kids are using that is just plain wrong?

Oy vey.

I haven't seen the Rian Johnson quote Panaflex mentions, but it's possible he used the word to mean best. He also used "decimated" incorrectly in the TLJ crawl, by it's proper definition decimated isn't as bad as it sounds.

I wonder if we collectively think Luke won't show up in IX as a force ghost? I understand that the Order of the Jedi may now be lost - but that doesn't mean that Rey needs to necessarily figure it all out on her own; Seems like there's opportunity for Luke (and others maybe?) to appear to her and help out. Or, maybe Rey's just going to spend the gap between the next movies traveling around to learn more about her powers?

Just trying to make clear what I think Johnson's usage means. Robn1 is correct and words change. Peace/.

I haven't seen the Rian Johnson quote Panaflex mentions, but it's possible he used the word to mean best. He also used "decimated" incorrectly in the TLJ crawl, by it's proper definition decimated isn't as bad as it sounds.

Sorry to pick but I checked:

Merriam Webster, Wiktonary, the Free Dictionary, Audio English, Dictionary dot com and vocabulary dot com and none of those showed penultimate to have a meaning of best or second best. It all had to do with second to last.

Sorry to pick but I checked:

Merriam Webster, Wiktonary, the Free Dictionary, Audio English, Dictionary dot com and vocabulary dot com and none of those showed penultimate to have a meaning of best or second best. It all had to do with second to last.
Yes, but people misuse the word all the time thinking it means best. Like it's some super form of ultimate, which of course only means last :p

Yes, but people misuse the word all the time thinking it means best. Like it's some super form of ultimate, which of course only means last :p

I guess I need to see the original quote, as well. I took a quick look and couldn't find it.

Mark Hamill was so good in this movie.

The scene where he first sees R2 again, with the joy and surprise on his face (and in his voice) for that brief moment... it was like all the years washed away. I saw the young Luke/Mark again and it was incredible.

I tried remaining spoiler free as well. I caught a few spoilers, but nothing in context. I enjoyed the movie immensely and caught, I felt, almost everything. I did miss the Royal Cameos and Tom Hardy, though. I've been a fan since the 90s, and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I thought this hit the chords as a SW flick on every level. It had humor, it had stakes, it felt like a SW movie to me, a lot more than TFA did. I mean, the biggest fault of TFA was that it was too much like ANH. Now, we get a new SW movie that is unexpected in every way yet still manages to feel like a SW movie in every sense... and fans don't want that either? I had one friend who criticized it by calling it too much like an 80's movie and a Flash Gordon movie. But that's what it's supposed to be! SW is an early 80s franchise, which Lucas created to evoke Flash Gordon serials. Literally, the biggest compliment you can give to a SW movie is to compare it to Flash Gordon! However, I was confused by the kid at the end. I mean, I got that he's kinda meant to represent the "child in all of us" but I feel like it could have been a lot better done.

For me, TLJ may just be a contender with ESB for my favorite SW movie. Anybody who is still saying it's a rehash of ESB hasn't watched the film

That and his beard was missing gray hair.
You'll also notice (and this had to be pointed out to me) that he doesn't make footprints in the salt crust on Crait. What tipped me off was the Skywalker saber magically repaired.

Was anyone else irritated that Luke referred to a lightsaber as a "laser sword"?
Was this just Rian trying to provoke and unbalance the fandom?
I think it was supposed to be Luke being purposely flippant to Rey.

So who's making Rose's Resistance ring? That was pretty cool.. kind of reminiscent of WWII era spy gear
Definitely on my list of wants from this movie.

I’ve been watching lots of reviews online and on YouTube and the one thing I can’t figure out is the negative ‘Leia Poppins’ mentions.

Last time I checked:
- Mary Poppins is awesome
- Everyone loves Mary Poppins
- Being compared to Mary Poppins is a compliment and an honor

Like people should be saying “When Leia did her Force-fly in space back to the ship that was awesome ! Just like Mary Poppins !!”
I'm convinced that Mary Poppins wouldn't even be brought up if GotG2 hadn't made her culturally relevant.

If setting an abandoned cruiser to jump to lightspeed though an enemy ship can cause so much damage, what is stopping the Rebels from rigging up remote control capital ships and just jumping them through the Death Stars or other enemy Capital ships? I'm having a hard time accepting how easy this was, unless the Mega Star Destroyer in TLJ had it's shields down, it worked far to easily IMO. I'm afraid the writers might not have thought about the implications this creates.
Because that would be terrorism, and the Resistance wants to be seen as a legitimate counter offensive and not just a bunch of angry rebel rousers plowing their vehicles into crowds like some ISIS goon.

I have a theory, based on the fact that life = the Force. In ESB, Yoda said that life creates the Force, and helps it grow, right? So, it'd make sense that more life = more Force to draw from.

Take, for example, the top pic. Ben can't fully form a corporeal Force Ghost because the planet Hoth has barely any life besides a few permafrost sucking carnivores and herbivores.

But he can on Dagobah, because the entire planet is so full of life!

He can't form a body AT ALL on the Death Star because it's all durasteel. There's no life at all for Ben to draw the Force from except a couple thousand troops.

Yoda and Luke thus can perform great feats of the Force on Ach-To because the planet is SO in tune with the Force.

This is further supported by the Mortis Arc from TCW, where Qui-Gon, despite never finishing the training to become a Force Ghost, is able to become one because it's a conduit of the Force.

I'm not bummed about Rey's parents, it's nice to know though.
I doubt that yarn Kylo spun was really Rey's parents. Kylo was doing what all Dark Siders do best: being deceitful and lying to get what he wanted... an apprentice as powerful as Rey.

And BTW, this movie did have another death star. Sure, it was smaller and sat on the ground, but it was yet, another death star
I'm confused about this, actually. Finn describes it as a miniaturized piece of Death Star technology... but then is it fueled by kyber crystals? If so, why is the color of the beam not green like other kyber fueled super laser weaponry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke, broken shell of himself, brought to the edge of murder (of his nephew no less).

Oh you mean that guy who once tried to kill his own father?

5359660-luke-v-vader-o.gif

Ten will get ya twenty that the next one has the Rey, I am your father moment, obviously who it is hasnt been chosen yet.

I've got it!!!

Like Jar Jar in TPM, Lando "is the key to all of this"...

The one OT character who has yet to show up.

He always had a thing for Leia ever since he met her...so when she and Han were on the skids, Lando and Leia made a go of it ("Hello, what have we here?") resulting in the forbidden love child--"Rey Calrissian".

But--Leia could never shake Han so Lando retreated to Cloud City with a broken heart and Leia hid the love child on a backwater planet.

Yes, Lando--the ol' smoothy- is Rey's father.

It's so deliciously idiotic that it MUST be true.

Brilliant!!

Last edited:
Can’t see Luke Skywalker wanting to kill his nephew... can’t see it at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why its so powerful.

Okay, this is going to sound harsh, but imagine we're sitting in a bar having a cold one with a smile on my face as I lay this on my Star Wars brethren. :cheers

Just so we're clear, in Return of the Jedi (the climax of the OT's story arc), Luke was presented with a conflict: his greatest enemy -- the guy threatening the entire galaxy -- the guy he needed to defeat (i.e. KILL) in order to save the galaxy -- was also his father. He was told by both Obi-Wan AND Yoda that he needed to confront and defeat Vader because "the good man" was "lost" (i.e. already dead). So Luke had to kill his dad. THAT's the conflict. THAT's the setup for the trilogy's climax. What makes Luke a hero is that when confronted with a need to commit patricide to save the galaxy, Luke instead defied his masters and came up with a different option: turn his father back from the dark side -- something Obi-Wan and Yoda told him is impossible. Luke tries it anyway. He turns himself in to the Emperor, he's willing to put his LIFE on the line -- to even put the entire galaxy at risk -- in the hopes that he could retrieve this tiny glimmer of goodness still clinging to life inside Vader. Luke did that. He THREW AWAY his lightsaber. He rejected violence. He told the emperor he'd rather die than kill his father. He WON that victory by NOT giving into murder. And it WORKED! He saved his dad and saved the galaxy. Huzzah! Luke learned that lesson 35 years ago....

But NOPE! Rian "I made Looper" so I'm a ****ing filmmaking genius" Johnson decides he needs a cheap plot device to give the audience a quick thrill so he throws out the ENTIRE POINT OF RETURN OF THE JEDI. Nope! Luke hasn't learned the lesson that murder isn't the way to solve a problem. He just somehow forgets that love and compassion are the ways of the Jedi. He just blanked on the whole "my relative is evil but it's up to me to save them and bring them back" idea. Even though it WORKED before. It's like Johnson never even saw Return of the Jedi. If Luke is willing to kill his own nephew for being evil -- even for a MICROSECOND -- it makes the ending of ROTJ completely pointless. He learned NOTHING! That's why people are losing their minds about this.

So, I'm sorry, it's not powerful. (again, beer talk :cheers) It's complete ignorance on Johnson's part of the climax of the OT and BAD BAD BAD HORRIBLY ****TY SOPHOMORIC WRITING! It's perhaps the clearest evidence that the people running Not-Lucasfilm either don't know what they're doing or don't care. For my money, this is a WAAAAAAAYYY more horrendous failure than "Han shot first", Jar Jar, or anything else fans have been complaining about for years. This ruins the ending of the OT. Luke's victory? Not a victory. If he can try to kill his nephew after all that, he's learned nothing and the series has no point.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced TLJ is a disaster. A flippin' disaster.

Take, for example, the top pic. Ben can't fully form a corporeal Force Ghost because the planet Hoth has barely any life besides a few permafrost sucking carnivores and herbivores.

But he can on Dagobah, because the entire planet is so full of life!

Or maybe because double exposures show up better against dark backgrounds ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back