Is Rogue One OK for kids?

Honestly? It's just more of the type or violence that's the problem. It isn't just lightsaber fights like the prequels. It's terrorist attacks. It's war. Gritty, saving Private ryan-type war.

So if you have sensitive kids, they probably won't like it at all. It's kind of short on heroes, if you know what I mean.

I would never let my kids see it.
And that's too bad. I miss space opera as a genre

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My son is almost 6 and has seen all the other films. My Wife is supposed to take him tomorrow morning and I saw it last night myself.

I'm thinking he would be fine for it having seen the others as well as being in to the Avengers films and Civil War.

There definitely was a lot of stuff that happened, but there was also the point that no one really not stabbed through like in TFA, no dismemberment, and very minimal blood.

It's so hard trying to remember what I was watching at 6 years old, but I do remember seeing such tragedy as Neverending Story with Artex at 6. My Dad took me to see Empire Strikes back when I was 2 and I loved Star Wars after that.

Thinking back to being a kid, my thoughts were not as deep as adults tend to get. I just remember there was bad guys and good guys and that it was the battle against the 2. There was no deep understanding of actions and theories.... it was just pretty black and white to me.

As the years have gone on I have loved continuing to watch the films and develop my relationship with the films on a deeper level and to this day ask questions on things I have never thought of. I think as adults and now parents (if applicable) we panic thinking what some of these things will mean to our kids, when sometimes we're the problem and can overthink everything. I think that's the debacle I'm in right now. My son does understand things in movies are not real, but some images can still make for a powerful impact regardless. In my reflection of a kid growing up I just don't recall ever Star Wars affecting me past being the coolest thing ever with the most interesting characters and imaginatively rich-filled worlds and creatures I've ever seen and believed in.

I think its a hard question to simply answer to anyone questioning whether or not to bring their kids to see any film. Even some of the most G-Rated films can contain some awful tragedy to scar a child, depending on what it is.

No kids here, but I think it depends on the child's level of understanding.
There are sacrifices made for a great good.
It's a war film, no gore really but if explained why such things happen there are lessons I think.

Great question... Here's my experience with a little context.

My 7 year old son loves Star Wars, but has a bit of love/hate with Vader. The Dark Lord is his absolutely favorite character, yet he's also had numerous nightmares about Vader over the years that have freaked him out something awful. Because if this, I was very tentative about taking him due to the final scene with Vader especially...

Today I caved and took him anyway, having watched it myself last night... The bottom line is that he got a little bored in the middle, but loved the movie overall, and even though he initially hid his eyes during the Vader scene, he ended up peeking, and it was his favorite scene! :)

There's quite a body count in this film, but things move so fast that it didn't seem to bother him... just know that there is no bb8, jar jar, or ewoks to make the kids feel all warm and cuddly in this one...

Great film, but there is NO cuddly.

Jason

My almost six year old loved it - a few boring fidgety moments for him.
I tried to cover his eyes a few times but he wouldn't have any of it.
We'll see if the nightmares start soon though!

My 12 year-old nephew and 9 year-old niece weren't phased by it at all.

In all honesty, I think Revenge of the Sith is a much more mature movie. ...and maybe even TFA due to what happens between Kylo and Han. Maybe it's just me, but the one-on-one personal deaths are a more mature, harder to deal with death than what we get in Rogue One.

That said, it does depict sci-fi war and there are deaths.

My kids did just fine with it. They are 7 and 9. They watch Marvel movies and plenty of Star Wars. My 7 year old was a little bored and my 9 year old was a bit bummed but I don't think either of them were scarred for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my 4 year old niece to watch it last night and she loved it. She was sad at some parts (don't want to spoil anything) but she didn't cry or get scared.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I took my 8 year old twins to see this, they're turning 9 in January.

My son absolutely loved it, didn't look away and only got scared a bit when Vader turned up. I knew I'd have problems with my daughter, so I brought a beanie for her to pull down over her eyes at the scariest bits and that worked fine. If anything, she got bored by the talking heads dialogue parts.

Two days later, no nightmares, no flashbacks, they're all good.

My 8-yr old does not like loud noises. So imagine what the BIG D 3D theater was like? It was too loud for an adult.

It started off bad with the Mummy trailer. I remember seeing it so I told him it wasn't scary because he started looking weirded out. Then BAM, the body bag scene. Man, I felt bad. So the whole time through the movie, he had his fingers in his ears and every now and then he'd not use the glasses. He turned away during the octopus mind rape scene.

This movie definitely doesn't have the upbeat/fun feeling that TFA had.

If your kid can't handle this movie, for the love of God please don't let your children ever go outside. Real life will probably kill them in a heartbeat.
He has a good point:/
Laspector BUT there are some kids that really hate stuff like this but we can't do anything about it. If his child likes it she likes it, if not then not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your kid can't handle this movie, for the love of God please don't let your children ever go outside. Real life will probably kill them in a heartbeat.

That is not a very helpful response - all children are different and all respond differently to images and ideas in movies. Movies are not real life, don't for a minute confuse the two.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back