Fallout 4

The leaked casting documents refer to the PC as "player" in the script while other NPC's have unique names, which is usually a stand in for player created characters.

Yeah, isn't the player supposed to be in the pre war U.S. army or something?

I stopped reading once it was clear that most of the information is probably true, based on the trailer. I didn't want spoilers.

From what I remember he/she was cryogenically frozen, which will probably be elaborated upon at E3.

I stopped reading once it was clear that most of the information is probably true, based on the trailer. I didn't want spoilers.

From what I remember he/she was cryogenically frozen, which will probably be elaborated upon at E3.

Well, either way, I'd be happy to still be able to create my character. :)

There's a 4K Screenshot rendered in-engine on the website, which is so far the only screenshot (without video compression) from the game.

47158_2_0.jpg

Yup, it is. I'd wager it's an updated version, but we'll see for sure soon enough. I hope they were able to sneak in the T-51b variant as well. Seems like the T-45d is the "main" power armor in the game, like F3.

There is a scene in the vertibird, where you see a power armour from behind that sort of looks like the T-51b, especially the double shoulder bells. It may just be the updated T-45d though.

Hooooray, Fallout 4!

There's a few things I noticed.

Pip-boy

The pip-boy is simplified and appears to be updated to have a light globe for the light function, which is a nice addition. It also moved the settings dials to the right, which makes more sense from a usability view.

View attachment 485252

Vault Suit

The vault suit seems to be going back to its F1 and 2 style and has almost no visible seams. For Fallout costumers like myself, this is going to be tricky to replicate. It's also very snug, I hope everyone in the vault has been working out, this isn't a design that's suitable for all body types.

The F3 and FNV suits were designed with functionality in mind. I did some research (documented on my blog) on the concept art for F3/NV and found that they chose denim coveralls because it was very 50's, economical, suited all body types and made sense for life in a vault. The Vault 111 suit is more sci-fi and reminds me of comic books. This isn't a bad thing, I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that it's more difficult for people to cosplay a 111 vault dweller than it is to do Vault 101.

What I really like about the 101 suit is how simple or complicated you can make it. If you're more into props and armour, a blue coverall will do the trick, if you're like me and like to sew, a custom denim jumpsuit is also good.

Nuka Cola

Nuka cola now has round labels and a different shaped bottle than the previous ones. I get the feeling that this was more about Cokes IP lawyers and less about improved design.

View attachment 485256

Power Armour

I'm really happy about this, the size of the shoulders on the old armour always bothered me. This looks more compact and protective. I can't wait to see more.
View attachment 485257

The Dog
Is the dog was in both pre and post war situations? If so, then the game isn't too long from when the bombs fell (unless there's some kind of cryogenics in the vault?) Dogs live to an average of about 15 years. It's not dogmeat as we know it, Fallout 3 dogmeat is alive in 2277 Fallout 1 dogmeat is alive in 2161. The bombs fall in 2077. Perhaps all dogs are dogmeat, like all horses in the Witcher are "roach" - perhaps they're all related :-\

I'm probably going to be obsessing over this for a while. But hooray, finally Fallout 4 - all of my friends told me it was never going to happen. I'm off to do the "I told you so dance" in their face!

Pretty sure vault suits are leather, not denim. Although the one in your avatar looks nice. :thumbsup

There is a scene in the vertibird, where you see a power armour from behind that sort of looks like the T-51b, especially the double shoulder bells. It may just be the updated T-45d though.

Yeah, I think that is the T45 model in the vertibird as well.

Pretty sure vault suits are leather, not denim. Although the one in your avatar looks nice. :thumbsup

F3 and NV was definitely denim. Aside from looking like denim in the texture files, I found a quote from the lead artist, Adam Adamowicz in an old Bethblog developer diary from Fallout 3 and he says.

"Designing, or redesigning the (fallout 3) vault suit meant adhering to canon, and updating the textures and tactile feel for the detail we can achieve now in games. I opted for a more durable denim like material, something quintessentially American and, suited to carrying out vault tasks involving heavy machinery and crawling through metal pipes.”

(edit for source - The actual article is missing from the Bethesda site because of Fallout 4 overwriting all previous content, but you can read a mirror of the article on the IGN/conceptual design boards and fallout.gamepedia)

Last edited:

F3 and NV was definitely denim. Aside from looking like denim in the texture files, I found a quote from the lead artist, Adam Adamowicz in an old Bethblog developer diary from Fallout 3 and he says.

"Designing, or redesigning the (fallout 3) vault suit meant adhering to canon, and updating the textures and tactile feel for the detail we can achieve now in games. I opted for a more durable denim like material, something quintessentially American and, suited to carrying out vault tasks involving heavy machinery and crawling through metal pipes.”

No, vault suits are made from leather, not demin. Not sure what about the game texture makes you think that, doesn't look like denim to me.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_jumpsuit

I wouldn't give credence to an unofficial wiki (which can be edited by anyone) vs. what the lead artist has explicitly said.

Yeah. I've been sent the wiki link a few times. After reading Adam's quote I was 100% certain it was denim because he was the person who instructed the texture and 3D artists to make it denim. I've also worked with textiles for a number of years and leather doesn't drape and fold like that. The new suit could be leather, but F3 and NV isn't. I wrote a fairly lengthy article about it for my project blog. :)

No, vault suits are made from leather, not demin. Not sure what about the game texture makes you think that, doesn't look like denim to me.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_jumpsuit

The quote from Adam is included in this wiki http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Vault_jumpsuit and the full developer diary can be found here, it's a really interesting read. I hope we get a developer diary for Fallout 4, I'm interested to learn more about the weapons :) http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/conceptual-design.163925462/

The quote from Adam is included in this wiki http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Vault_jumpsuit and the full developer diary can be found here, it's a really interesting read. I hope we get a developer diary for Fallout 4, I'm interested to learn more about the weapons :) http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/conceptual-design.163925462/

An interesting read, indeed.

Honestly, I've never perceived the texture to look like denim. I'm wondering if this was something corrected with the Hi Res textures? (never got to play with them) I'm seeing a lot of pics on Google that do in fact look like demin seams, and they look a lot sharper in detail.

I guess my biggest misconception is that the original suits from F1 & 2 appear to be a tight leather, as you mentioned in your blog. I've never read anywhere that the "Fallout 1" suits and the "Fallout 3" suits were different, so just assumed it was leather. And like you mentioned earlier, lots of people have made that connection as well.

An interesting read, indeed.

Honestly, I've never perceived the texture to look like denim. I'm wondering if this was something corrected with the Hi Res textures? (never got to play with them) I'm seeing a lot of pics on Google that do in fact look like demin seams, and they look a lot sharper in detail.

I guess my biggest misconception is that the original suits from F1 & 2 appear to be a tight leather, as you mentioned in your blog. I've never read anywhere that the "Fallout 1" suits and the "Fallout 3" suits were different, so just assumed it was leather. And like you mentioned earlier, lots of people have made that connection as well.

I thought it was leather for a while too, which was about to be a very expensive cosplay! Fallout 1 and 2 (art directed by Leonard Boyarsky) are probably not denim as they're going for a sci-fi captain hero of the future kind of look. I have some friends who cosplay Vault 13 and they've used blue stretch cotton, which gives the same look as the game model and is fairly inexpensive.

But I've taken this discussion wayyyyy off topic. After watching the trailer another 20 or so times, I'm really excited for the game. I secured some tickets to the Bethesda E3 event in Sydney, i'd probably faint if we get to see some gameplay and find out more about the story. Fingers crossed!

So how about that climate system? Finally a Fallout game with dynamic weather (rain, anyway) and atmosphere.

I just preordered my copy, no sign of a special edition yet but if one pops up i'll upgrade. Not release date yet either but they're doing stuff at E3 in a few weeks. A little off topic but here's a guy who writes songs inspired by games and even got one as the end of Wasteland 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloF7F4dPNo
Fallout songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbPGqEqTIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoP07kmKQOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebF6Fqhq1P4
check out his other stuff too, his song based on Deus Ex: human revolution fits the game really well. Kinda hope they get him to do a song for the next Deus ex game

Last edited:
There's an interesting theory rolling around that I actually quite like. The vault dweller you play actually comes from the pre-war era and the opening moments of the game (post character creation if there is one) takes place before the bombs fell. Some details that support this. The trailer has been boasted by Bethesda as using in-game graphics. If this is true, than everything we see pre-war are actual in-game assets. And any Fallout fan out there would know that every vault has a different purpose in experimenting on how humanity would cope with post-war scenarios. Having vault 111 be full of pre-war civilians woken up centuries later would be a unique twist on an already game changing twist from Fallout 2.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back