NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

i don't think credit was withheld...he's a big part of the reason there are long, big lists of people named in the end credits even to this day. maybe some here can remember the short list of credits on movies shortly before. to do that at the time was bucking the Hollywood norm....

i don't think credit was withheld...he's a big part of the reason there are long, big lists of people named in the end credits even to this day. maybe some here can remember the short list of credits on movies shortly before. to do that at the time was bucking the Hollywood norm....

Not to drag this on, but I'm talking about specifics. For instance, who came up with the Death Star trench? And would we have ever found out it wasn't George if Colin Cantwell didn't speak up in recent years? It's shocking how many key elements in these movies came not from George, but from people in that long list of credits. No doubt George is a legend. I just grew up assuming too much about him.

So as not to hijack this thread, I'll offer my two cent on the Solo Falcon. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm ready to have some fun with it. I just wish they'd get a little more detail oriented. It seems every theory that can explain it's outer appearance doesn't fully fit. If you look at the "coverings" for example, it seems that the core geometry of the ship doesn't exactly fit in there. Also, the jaw angle and height has clearly been altered in order to create an intersecting line with the extended mandibles. It is clear, however, from the model that that thing comes off. Hopefully that happens by the end of the movie.

The cleaned up interior seems to conflict with my sense of it's original purpose as a freighter, although maybe, as some have alluded, those are not original coverings but later additions. I prefer the ship to be very old, certainly not new around the time of Han's birth.

I find the blue paint scheme boring and uninspired (maybe that's just realistic, not every decision is sublime in real life). I would've liked them to take the random red panels on the New Hope Falcon and extend a meaningful pattern out from them that made sense. I would prefer the red and I would prefer the more immediate and direct connection. Perhaps there is a red pattern underneath all those supposed coverings.........​

Last edited by a moderator:
At this time we have no idea if they are saying the Falcon is fairly new or not in Solo. Even if it is old, Lando may have altered it to make it look more flashy. All we know is it will look different for part of the film. We will need to wait for the film to know how the appearance is explained. It sounds like the evolution of the Falcon is part of the story in the film.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So as not to hijack this thread, I'll offer my two cent on the Solo Falcon. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm ready to have some fun with it. I just wish they'd get a little more detail oriented. It seems every theory that can explain it's outer appearance doesn't fully fit. If you look at the "coverings" for example, it seems that the core geometry of the ship doesn't exactly fit in there. Also, the jaw angle and height has clearly been altered in order to create an intersecting line with the extended mandibles. It is clear, however, from the model that that thing comes off. Hopefully that happens by the end of the movie.

I’ll admit up front, having seen essentially nothing but a couple pics, that I like the OT falcon much better - for now. Seeing the new movie may well matter.

I live in a 100+ year old townhouse. It was once a long, long time ago, shiny and new. It got renovated in the ‘70s, lost a few internal structures, and looked a different kind of new, then. It changed purposes from a home, to a multi rental unit, then back to a single family home again. Some nearby houses changed from homes to small stores and back to homes again.

Then I bought her and spent a few decades running her into the ground. About 5 years ago it looked pretty much like the Falcon did in ANH. And I had to keep banging on things and using multiple applications of gorilla glue in places while telling her to hold together just a little while longer till I could afford to retire and patch her up properly.

I gave up on that idea and mortgaged my soul to have her renovated again. She lost even more internal structure; but actually gained some external structure. She is shiny again (most of her, anyway) - but only for a while.

The next owner may well look at her and think, “what the heck was that guy thinking?” He/she may elect to refit some of the structure I tossed, and maybe even lose some of the structure I had added in.

That’s what happens over the years to something that’s actually built to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you look at the "coverings" for example, it seems that the core geometry of the ship doesn't exactly fit in there. Also, the jaw angle and height has clearly been altered in order to create an intersecting line with the extended mandibles. It is clear, however, from the model that that thing comes off. Hopefully that happens by the end of the movie.
I noticed the same the other day. If you look at the top and bottom jaw boxes of the 5ft Falcon from the side and intersect the lines of their angles they definitely do not match up with the Solo Falcon's extension. So even if the nose piece were detachable it would require the jaw boxes to sit higher while decreasing the angle all the way to the turrets. Kind of like the Fine Molds jaw boxes. I attached this photo so you can see the angles of the jaw boxes.
View attachment VEH_IA_850.jpg

View attachment VEH_IA_850.jpg

I noticed the same the other day. If you look at the top and bottom jaw boxes of the 5ft Falcon from the side and intersect the lines of their angles they definitely do not match up with the Solo Falcon's extension. So even if the nose piece were detachable it would require the jaw boxes to sit higher while decreasing the angle all the way to the turrets. Kind of like the Fine Molds jaw boxes. I attached this photo so you can see the angles of the jaw boxes.
View attachment 795195

I'll play a little devil's advocate with our observation. The lines do converge better if you remove the AMT 1/25 Kenworth Cabover frame rails and Bandai 1/24 Panther parts, which they appear to have done. I still think the jaws are too high, though. Much like the atrocious full scale TFA mockup.

...but who's to say that the top & bottom jaws don't open & close the same way the mandibles adjust.....to attach to the pod they are carrying

J

...but who's to say that the top & bottom jaws don't open & close the same way the mandibles adjust.....to attach to the pod they are carrying

J
That would be really cool, but definately more thought that I'm willing to bet went into it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

From looking at the video from The Star Wars Show it's clear that the entire exterior of the ship is covered in added on panels, except for the cockpit and docking corridors. These panels don't conform tight to the hull, there is a lot of open space underneath in places. I'm sure the familiar Falcon in under there.

I’ll admit up front, having seen essentially nothing but a couple pics, that I like the OT falcon much better - for now. Seeing the new movie may well matter.

I live in a 100+ year old townhouse. It was once a long, long time ago, shiny and new. It got renovated in the ‘70s, lost a few internal structures, and looked a different kind of new, then. It changed purposes from a home, to a multi rental unit, then back to a single family home again. Some nearby houses changed from homes to small stores and back to homes again.

Then I bought her and spent a few decades running her into the ground. About 5 years ago it looked pretty much like the Falcon did in ANH. And I had to keep banging on things and using multiple applications of gorilla glue in places while telling her to hold together just a little while longer till I could afford to retire and patch her up properly.

I gave up on that idea and mortgaged my soul to have her renovated again. She lost even more internal structure; but actually gained some external structure. She is shiny again (most of her, anyway) - but only for a while.

The next owner may well look at her and think, “what the heck was that guy thinking?” He/she may elect to refit some of the structure I tossed, and maybe even lose some of the structure I had added in.

That’s what happens over the years to something that’s actually built to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think there are too many theories involving real world reasoning and logic on a ship thats based on fantasy created for film.

May need to keep in mind that just because a reason has logic in the real world doesnt mean its the reason behind for the changes in a film design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there are too many theories involving real world reasoning and logic on a ship thats based on fantasy created for film.

May need to keep in mind that just because a reason has logic in the real world doesnt mean its the reason behind for the changes in a film design.

True, but with enough effort, they could do very well satisfying both sets of constraints. Most people wouldn't care, but whackos like us would feel all warm and fuzzy inside.​
:$

True, but with enough effort, they could do very well satisfying both sets of constraints. Most people wouldn't care, but whackos like us would feel all warm and fuzzy inside.​
:$

True, but the filmmakers dont usually worry or bother spending more time and money worrying about stuff like that.

All they need is something thats satisfies their needs for the film. I dont think theyre going to be too concerned with a small nitch of fans doing uber research on these details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Battlefront Falcon & the Solo Falcon

attachment.php

J

Attachments

• BF Falcon & Solo Falcon.jpg
    BF Falcon & Solo Falcon.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:
From looking at the video from The Star Wars Show it's clear that the entire exterior of the ship is covered in added on panels, except for the cockpit and docking corridors. These panels don't conform tight to the hull, there is a lot of open space underneath in places. I'm sure the familiar Falcon in under there.

I see that, but some things just don't jive. For instance, if panels cover the area around the cockpit corridor, but not the corridor itself, and there is plenty of space under these panels, then why does the corridor still protrude exactly like it does without panels. Shouldn't the panels intersect the tube at a more oblique angle and bury it slightly like they appear to be doing with the core ring?

Sure, it's just a movie, but there is no reason with all the geeks working on this stuff, all the money, all the time and all the love and attention for this ship that they can't get this stuff right. Simply said, no matter what panels are removed, the proportions of the original five-foot model (the original basis for the Falcon and the basis going forward per TFA), do not fit correctly under there unless there is a level of unlikely modification or articulation added into the situation. That wouldn't suit my personal preference.

They may have decided that a little poetic license is OK regarding fit, but there was no reason to use it.

I'm not being sour grapes about it. As I've said, I'm ready to have some fun with it, and we'll see what happens that we do not yet know.

regarding the nose...some imagine a "pod". i imagine a hollow nosecone.
in this pic some may see an attachment point for a "pod"...i see what remains of loading arms that slide on a track towards the opening between the jaws....ever watched a crab eat?i-h2CKVhp-XL.jpg
not sayin'...just sayin'....

0177bc310fbfe51e912d5b137c73ed7a.jpg

Last edited:
I can see if one uses the Finemolds Falcon as a basis, you can argue some of this works better. It's just that the Finemolds is based on the 32" ILM model which has notoriously exaggerated cockpit corridor geometry and I thought TFA set the precedent going forward for proportion by using the 1977 model for the digital model. I hope they aren't bouncing between versions. 1977 proportions for TFA and 1980 proportions for Solo.

- - - Updated - - -

regarding the nose...some imagine a "pod". i imagine a hollow nosecone.
in this pic some may see an attachment point for a "pod"...i see what remains of loading arms that slide on a track towards the opening between the jaws....ever watched a crab eat?
View attachment 795336
not sayin'...just sayin'....​

Who knows. Maybe its an escape pod or another ship altogether. I'm sure they've got "a few surprises left".​

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back