Solo: A Star Wars Story

Lol...no it doesn't.

And as long as you persist in being the leader of your ilk, I will reference you. ;)

The Wook

You guys can’t stop taking the ‘ Mickey ‘ out of each other huh !? :devil

Seriously , No Offence Intended to either of you gentlemen ( @Bryancd & @The Wook ) , but I swear , reading the semi - affectionate slings you throw at each other at times , can’t help but remind me of Felix & Oscar ! ;) ... But , which is which !? :lol

Now , back to the Earth Shattering Issue at hand ...

Last edited:
I'm still all in on this movie and expect to come out wanting LANDO A Star Wars Story multigenerational take with Donal Glover and Billly Dee Williams.
Donald Glover seems like a talented guy, but filling Lando's shoes seems just as hard as filling Han's. Billy Dee Williams has a singular charisma. Talk about carving a lot out of a few lines... just him saying "Hello, what have we here?" was like, Damn: a SW Legend is born.

First Vivian Banks or second Vivian Banks?

As hilarious as this example is, strangely it was one of the first recastings I experienced watching TV as a kid, and it was quite jarring for the same reason I find the HS casting with AE jarring: they simply look/speak/move nothing alike. I get that they don't have to be mirror images of each other, but they could have dared to achieve something besides "brown haired white guy" as their standard of commonality IMHO.

I mean, for Leia and Tarkin in Rogue 1, they created digital reproductions. It seems inexplicably inconsistent to go to this extreme to mesh a character's appearance between two films in one case, and then recast a character using a completely different looking actor in another case as if commonality of appearance means nothing.

To be honest, Theres a couple looks in the trailer, mainly when he looks over his shoulder in the speeder chase, and the final shot where I think he totally looks the part.

...and I always liked how Jazz knew she was different. He also noticed how Nicky did the sitcom baby to toddler shift.

I mean, for Leia and Tarkin in Rogue 1, they created digital reproductions. It seems inexplicably inconsistent to go to this extreme to mesh a character's appearance between two films in one case, and then recast a character using a completely different looking actor in another case as if commonality of appearance means nothing.

It's about what is better for each situation.

The less time we spend with the replacement actor, the more the physical appearance matters. The more screen time, the more their overall mojo starts to take top priority.

It's about what is better for each situation.

The less time we spend with the replacement actor, the more the physical appearance matters. The more screen time, the more their overall mojo starts to take top priority.

True.

But in addition to that, the environment matters. When CGI characters are in a dimly lit environment, they tend to look better, compared to when they're in a brightly lit environment. Tarkin was in a dimly lit dark walled ship, and looked much better than Leia, who was in a brightly lit, white walled ship.

It's tough to hide the main character of a movie in dimly lit environments for 2 hours. Unless you're Gollum, in The Two Towers.

The Wook

How much dialogue do we think Han will really have in this movie? It is his film but there is a huge support apparatus built around him. Strong supporting cast as well as fight scenes, chase scenes, 'splosions, space battles etc. I suspect he won't be monologuing like Macbeth. For that reason I think it would have made more sense to get someone who looked more like Ford for the role. Although it is called 'Solo' I don't think he alone is going to carry the movie.

To be honest, Theres a couple looks in the trailer, mainly when he looks over his shoulder in the speeder chase, and the final shot where I think he totally looks the part.

...and I always liked how Jazz knew she was different. He also noticed how Nicky did the sitcom baby to toddler shift.
I thought the exact same thing with the over the shoulder speeder shot

I really hope they don't let AE talk too much. He's already distracting enough in appearance, but he doesn't sound remotely like Han, either. I can possibly eventually get past how he looks absolutely nothing like Ford, but if I have to look at him while he talks I'll have to mentally check out.

The character in SW77 he is the experienced jaded veteran, he's been "out there", to balance against the naïve farm boy Luke, that is a big part of what made him so cool.
Now he will be not so experienced in this right? ****** he is almost another Luke talking about joining to learn to be the best pilot, yadda yadda.
Is that not removing a major cool ingredient to the character?

Regarding the whole casting thing. I will reference Marvel replacing Terence Howard with Don Cheadle:

vlcsnap-1091852.jpg

"It's me. I'm here. Deal with it."

Anyway. Going back to something mentioned some pages back...

Hey.....I don't know if Hunk a Junk mentioned it or sparked my train of thought regarding the front 2 landing gears......

Well,....the gear boxes are quite big.....
.http://www.candykiller.com/mfbuild/underside.jpg

Han is a smuggler.....would you stash something in a cargo hold?

in SW (ANH)....we know Han jettisoned Jabba's cargo at the first sign of an Imperial check point....

What if he jettisoned the gar boxes full of pruck?

So by ESB he's using his reward money to put the Falcon right again

.......????

J

I could get behind that in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact that those forward-ventral equipment bays got moved to make room for the additional landing gear when they modified the model for ESB, as the diagram you made and posted in the Bandai thread shows so well. That and the exhaust streaks are the only things I can't easily reconcile about this version of the Falcon.

--Jonah

I really hope they don't let AE talk too much. He's already distracting enough in appearance, but he doesn't sound remotely like Han, either. I can possibly eventually get past how he looks absolutely nothing like Ford, but if I have to look at him while he talks I'll have to mentally check out.

Would be nice if it was like Gosling in Drive, where he was the main character but his actions/driving spoke waaay more than his words

Regarding the whole casting thing. I will reference Marvel replacing Terence Howard with Don Cheadle:

https://thefilmgeekblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/vlcsnap-1091852.jpg

Anyway. Going back to something mentioned some pages back...

I could get behind that in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact that those forward-ventral equipment bays got moved to make room for the additional landing gear when they modified the model for ESB, as the diagram you made and posted in the Bandai thread shows so well. That and the exhaust streaks are the only things I can't easily reconcile about this version of the Falcon.

--Jonah

Ha,...it works for me because I don't get into too much of all the technical stuff

J

Ha,...it works for me because I don't get into too much of all the technical stuff

If only ILM had just had the gear box overlap the original pits, with the sidewalls projecting down into them. Nice implication that the stuff in those bays had something to do with whatever was inside the gearboxes. But then that leaves the issue of how much does the landing gear compact when it retracts? There have to be hull cutouts for the machinery, shock-absorbers, gear mountings, etc. Not the uninterrupted hull the ANH Falcon had. When people actually think about this "technical stuff", we the fans don't have to bang our heads against it.

I wish I wish I wish the ship was modular enough the presence or absence of the two additional front landing gear mounts was as simple as adding a roof rack to one's car. Then their presence on the ship in its configuration in Solo wouldn't be at all an issue. I'd still prefer if the Falcon (or, rather, the Stellar Envoy) started out without them and Han ended up adding salvaged units from a scrapyard to reinforce the gear on his ship what with all the punishment the Falcon endured. As others have mentioned, not having them present on the ship in Solo would accentuate the streamlined appearance of the ship we're seeing.

--Jonah

How the Kasdan's became involved with Solo, surprise, it pre dates the Disney acquisition, and their film inspirations.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/12/solo-a-star-wars-story-influences/

Is he calling his dad Larry in there? I can't stand people that call their parents by their first names!

https://thefilmgeekblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/vlcsnap-1091852.jpg
--Jonah

I liked Don Cheadle way more than TH.

every time i go to that site, it tries to force me to watch their video...twice. then i have to click again when they try to impose a special offer. must be my settings.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back