Prop Makers starter kit

I mean making an object look like metal by using this tape called ducting tape (http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/at.jpg) It is sort of sticky aluminium foil and i wondered whether just gluing aluminium foil like you get out of your kitchen to something like plastic or wood (not foam) is near enough the same.

So are you saying that you need a heat gun (like a paint stripper) to shape and bend foam exercise mats and that the hairdryer just doesn't have enough heat to do it?

Ah I see what you mean now. I wouldn't bother gluing aluminium foil because it's very weak and it wrinkles very easily; the ducting tape holds it's shape better and any creases and wrinkles can be smoothed out, plus it has the sticky back so application is easier aswell.

The heat gun is exactly what you need, hair dryers just aren't hot enough; you could as an alternative turn on an electric oven hob on a high setting and shape foam that way, but a heat gun has much better control.

Ah I see what you mean now. I wouldn't bother gluing aluminium foil because it's very weak and it wrinkles very easily; the ducting tape holds it's shape better and any creases and wrinkles can be smoothed out, plus it has the sticky back so application is easier aswell.

The heat gun is exactly what you need, hair dryers just aren't hot enough; you could as an alternative turn on an electric oven hob on a high setting and shape foam that way, but a heat gun has much better control.

Ahh thank you. Hopefully my next post on here will be my first project :p

Build a vacuum form machine from the beginning, or you be like me saying im gonna build one three years ago and still i havent lol
:D hope to see your work soon

Speaking of Mr Savage...

Check out his list of a beginners tool kit :)

Tested

The podcast is worth a listen too, he talks about what he uses tools for if you're unsure.

Yes yes yes!! The Still Untitled podcast is amazing. I've learned so many useful tidbits and it is very entertaining.

Another point to reiterate is "make what you can't not make" (another Adam savage quote). Tools and skills are just means to an end. Only you can decide what that end is.

If you're going for props, heres my barebones loadout.

01Tools1_zps30f26519.jpg

02Tools2_zpsfa18a8da.jpg

03Materials1_zps95cb87df.jpg

This is probably the most you can get out of 600 bucks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back