Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I think it has more to do with the fallout between Disney-KK-JJ and George. I know Spielberg is still doing Indy without George, but that seems different somehow. No one but Steven has directed an Indy movie. Mostly, I just don't think Steven would be interested in directing a SW movie after JJ has, and so publicly altered VII from what George had in mind for it. Indy will be following a new plot anyway.

I gotta say...I don't really understand George's objections IF the stories about him being miffed at Disney/LFL are true. I mean, dude, you sold the company. You retired your number. And now you're cheesed off when you say "I've got some great ideas!" and they say "Yeah..um...we're doing something different. Sorry!" If you're out, stay out. If you're in, why sell?

I seem to recall George later comparing the experience to getting together with an ex-girlfriend, wondering if maybe there was still some chance for a spark, and NOPE. NOT HAPPENING AT ALL. I can sympathize with that, but on the other hand, if you've had that experience before -- enough to let you make the comparison -- you would think you'd learn from it and realize that you usually break up for a good reason that doesn't just go away.

I gotta say...I don't really understand George's objections IF the stories about him being miffed at Disney/LFL are true. I mean, dude, you sold the company. You retired your number. And now you're cheesed off when you say "I've got some great ideas!" and they say "Yeah..um...we're doing something different. Sorry!" If you're out, stay out. If you're in, why sell?

I seem to recall George later comparing the experience to getting together with an ex-girlfriend, wondering if maybe there was still some chance for a spark, and NOPE. NOT HAPPENING AT ALL. I can sympathize with that, but on the other hand, if you've had that experience before -- enough to let you make the comparison -- you would think you'd learn from it and realize that you usually break up for a good reason that doesn't just go away.

I don't think George really gives a toss one way or another. I think he realized collaberating with LucasFilm on TFA as originally announced was too many chiefs not enough Indians especially when it was clear they were going with a different story from what he and Aerndt delivered. He strikes me as very pragmatic as opposed to emotional and I doubt he dwells on that. I don't think Spielberg would have any interest in doing a SW film simply because it wouldn't interest him creatively and he's likely more keen to revisit Indiana Jones.

I don't think George really gives a toss one way or another. I think he realized collaberating with LucasFilm on TFA as originally announced was too many chiefs not enough Indians especially when it was clear they were going with a different story from what he and Aerndt delivered. He strikes me as very pragmatic as opposed to emotional and I doubt he dwells on that. I don't think Spielberg would have any interest in doing a SW film simply because it wouldn't interest him creatively and he's likely more keen to revisit Indiana Jones.

I hope you're right about that. It's a much more preferable story than the one where George winds up miffed about not being able to tell the story the way he wanted to after selling the franchise.

I hope you're right about that. It's a much more preferable story than the one where George winds up miffed about not being able to tell the story the way he wanted to after selling the franchise.

More to the point regarding TFA I think he just saw the writing on the wall, or in this case the screenplay, and realized he had nothing he could contribute. I can't imagine he would want to just be dragged around for posterities sake. And clearly he wasn't too upset as he visited Gareth Edwards on the R1 set and opinined positively about the film prior to its release.

I doubt GL is too upset about his ideas being tossed for SW now.

He got so bent about controlling HIS Star Wars movies because they were HIS. He is highly principled about that sort of thing. It tracks back to the early days of his career when he got really pissed about the studios recutting his first few movies against his will. His stubbornness about altering the OT was crossing over into just-because-I-can territory by the Blu-Ray releases. I don't think he cared about controlling every detail of the SW movies THAT much, I think he just resented the public's attitude that he didn't have to right to doodle with them anymore.

He was willing to give Kershner & Marquand some control of ESB & ROTJ because he regarded them as the directors of those movies, not him.

When GL sold Lucasfilm to Disney he characterized it as a relationship breakup. You just have to go cold-turkey and give it up entirely. I imagine he's probably okay with that now.

GL never had very well-fleshed-out ideas for the post-ROTJ era anyway. His few confirmed comments about post-ROTJ movies over the years were mainly related to the practical filmmaking issues, not story structure.

I thought i recall reading that the 7-9 treatments were a condition/part of the sale? He complied, then they tossed them. I could see that being bothersome.

Ad for Speilberg - i thought that was explained a while ago as SW was GL's thing, not his They work together on Indy. SS has his own projects as does GL and this would be crossing the line so to speak.

I thought i recall reading that the 7-9 treatments were a condition/part of the sale? He complied, then they tossed them. I could see that being bothersome.

Actually I think I recall GL developed some ideas for a post ROTJ stories as away to sweeten any deal to sell LucasFilm and then brought in Arendt to write a viable screenplay. Not a lot of heavy lifting for George per se.

He was willing to give Kershner & Marquand some control of ESB & ROTJ because he regarded them as the directors of those movies, not him.

Marquand had no where near the amount of creative control that Kershner had. Not by a long shot. It's pretty common knowledge that the TESB that Kershner delivered is not the TESB that George really wanted. I think Marquand ended up being no more than a yes-man for Lucas.

Marquand had no where near the amount of creative control that Kershner had. Not by a long shot. It's pretty common knowledge that the TESB that Kershner delivered is not the TESB that George really wanted. I think Marquand ended up being no more than a yes-man for Lucas.

This is thoroughly documented in Rinzler's Making of RotJ book. It kept coming up again and again. George was determined to not go over budget or over schedule, and was very controlling over the final outcome.

SB

It would be funny if that was all his scenes after he takes over, with just the camera pointed at the ground while it sounds like lots of cool **** is happening off screen.

Spielberg will never do it because he's best friends with George, and he knows how unhappy fans were with George's PT movies. Spielberg's concern is that if he made a great Star Wars film, that fans would laud him for doing what George could not. So out of courtesy to his friend, he would never allow that to happen.

It's that simple.

The Wook

I don't know if it's that it or not. I always thought that he never wanted to direct a movie when Lucas was there because he didn't want to screw something up and mess up their friendship. I know he directed a scene on one of the Prequel movies, or at the least gave input on it.

As far as Lucas and Disney, I saw an interview with Lucas and he said something like "why would I do another SW movie after the fans didn't like the last three? So I decided it was time to move on." (not verbatim) I get that because I liked the Prequels in general and from his (and my) perspective, that is the story, not what fans thought the Prequels should have been. As far as cringeworthy dialogue and some characters, I'm right there with you, but that's the story. It always makes me laugh when I see someone say "I always imagined the Prequels like..." Well it's not your story, however much you think it is. I get that because we had 16 years (22 if you are talking Obi Wan's ANH dialogue about the Republic/Jedi) to imagine what it would have been like, but it was his story to tell.

Kershner & Marquand -

I realize GL exerted a lot of control over those movies overall. But Kershner was definitely not a yes-man. I think GL was so unhappy with it because of the combination of Kersh and Kurtz together. They were both pulling the movie away from GL's view at once. And running over schedule & budget.

We'll never know enough about the ROTJ situation because Marquand died just a couple years later. But after reading the Rinzler ROTJ book I think he did have some real influence over the movie.

As for GL intervening a lot over budgetary & scheduling concerns - that's what a producer is supposed to do. The job of director has never been the top seat on the pecking order.

I doubt GL is too upset about his ideas being tossed for SW now.

Im sure the 4 billion cushioned the blow. :lol

You would think so, wouldn't you? And yet, during his relationship "breakup" with Disney he called them "White Slavers" and criticized them for doing a "retro", i.e. unoriginal, movie to "appeal to the fans". His comments also give the impression that his short-lived advisory role wasn't treated all that seriously by Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ either. For someone so used to having their word taken as gospel, that had to sting. His reaction to the prequel backlash also points to some degree of bitterness.

As far as Lucas and Disney, I saw an interview with Lucas and he said something like "why would I do another SW movie after the fans didn't like the last three? So I decided it was time to move on." (not verbatim) I get that because I liked the Prequels in general and from his (and my) perspective, that is the story, not what fans thought the Prequels should have been. As far as cringeworthy dialogue and some characters, I'm right there with you, but that's the story. It always makes me laugh when I see someone say "I always imagined the Prequels like..." Well it's not your story, however much you think it is. I get that because we had 16 years (22 if you are talking Obi Wan's ANH dialogue about the Republic/Jedi) to imagine what it would have been like, but it was his story to tell.

Just because it was his story to finish telling, doesn't mean he didn't lose his SWIQ in doing so.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back