ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Tulip Puffy Paint / "Screen" Printing

I also tried the Tulip Brand Puffy paint as an early test for the pant legs. Also long ago and far away. The fact that I still have this test piece laying around my workroom is a testament to my lousy housekeeping – I mean organizational skills.

The results first. The Tulip Puffy Paint can give you a very dimensional look. The kind I tried did dry glossy but I believe there is also a Matte version which might be better. I only tested this paint a few times so I do not have much experience but I did learn a few things
. PuffyPaint.JPG
I tried one sample with just a one-pass of the squeegee which did not “fill” the full depth of my card-stock stencil, and the other was a “two-pass” stroke recommended in some screen printing sources which filled the stencil and set the depth of paint to the depth of the stencil material. In the first test I left my stencils taped to the fabric until the paint dried. The one pass did not provide full coverage. The two-pass (and cardstock) was probably too thick. When I removed the stencil in the second case, it pulled up and chipped the paint because the paint bonded to the stencil edges of the untreated cardboard cardstock. The biggest complaint I had from all my limited stencil testing was the top edge of the rectangles always turned out too sharp. I was hoping for a softer rounded over edge. Also I did not have any luck when I tried to sand the edges to round them over (the paint is too “rubbery”) and three laundry cycles did not damage the paint but it did not wear the edges like I was hoping either.

In a another test, I used a thinner plastic stencil, did a two-pass squeegee on the paint and then lifted the stencil. In that situation the paint oozed out of shape and did not hold the crisp shape I wanted. I was not using anything like a “print frame” so the stencil was not tight enough to the fabric to work properly.

That is as far as I have taken these tests. But there are a few more tips. My test is Green because when I went to buy the Puffy paint I could buy a kit of 6 colors cheaper than buying just two; Black and White which were included in the kit but in an only slightly smaller size. The kit also included Yellow which I thought would be useful if I ever got around to the jacket sleeves. I can confirm you can easily mix the Black and White Tulip Puffy to obtain a full gray scale range for the pants. Yellow with the other primary colors and Black and White gave me a wide range of sleeve color possibilities but I only mixed a few drops at a time and did not have any specific color I was attempting to match.

I made my second template out of a stiff flat plastic sheet. It was something which came in a mailed advertisement. If anyone needs to make large or multiple stencils for anything of this type, the plastic “For Sale” signs you find at the hardware store for less than $2 work really well in my opinion. However the slick surface of the plastic does not make a good contact with the fabric without some pressure around the edges like a frame would provide and I think that is the reason the paint oozed.

If I were to try again I think I have two possible methods of improvement. First add a print frame for my plastic stencil to give me better contact to the fabric and prevent any bleeding. This would be important if I wanted to do multiple “prints”. For a one-off like I expect for the pant legs I might try to cut my stencil from one or more layers of blue painter's tape. It would provide a good "seal" at the edges, I could have some control over the depth of the paint, and the tape is formulated to reduce the paint adhering and chipping when the tape is removed.

Also some people have talked about purchasing a "screen printing kit". I would not discourage that, but I can add one thought here as well. The primary reason to have a fabric or "screen" all across a print frame is to provide the pressure I mention above especially if you are trying to print a large design, but also to support any parts of a stencil which need to maintain their position but are not connected to rest of the stencil The pants and even the sleeves are actually small so pressure is not a big issues if you do a little more work than I tried to get away with. The best example of the second issue is trying to screen print the letter "O", there is the part outside the letter and then the circular part inside the letter. A fabric screen holds the two parts of the stencil in the right position and let the ink/paint flow through filling the open space between with "black". With a simple cutout shape like a rectangle you really do not need a screen as the stencil can be cut out from a single piece of paper/cardstock/plastic. In this case two small squares in a larger piece of stencil material. You can try your skills without much investment beyond the ink/paint.

If anyone has their own experiences or takes this forward I would also be interested their results

EDIT: For small designs like the rectangles an old credit card or something similar works fine as a free squeegee.

Last edited:
I also thought I'd post an update on Jyn Erso's boots. I bought the Frye boots in whiskey, dyed them dark brown, sealed them, and used sandpaper to weather them. I also took a leaf from @erinnn's book and used a pin to add scratches, which I then went over again with sandpaper. I spent the weekend dyeing/stitching/glueing leather, and bending wires to fit the buckle. The buckle I have is not the shortest buckle from the LANGE Z series ski boots, but if I shorten the wire they work well enough. The wire used for the right boot will need to be remade, but I found a wire clothes hanger is the exact size to fit into the buckle holes, so I'll be bending and cutting one of these tonight to completely finish the boots.

To make the boot flaps I stitched a thick cowhide (5 oz) to the boots and glued a dyed and top-stitched thin cowhide (3 oz) to the thick leather. I bought the leather from The Leather Guy, who ships RIDICULOUSLY fast and sells affordable leather pieces perfect for small projects. I wish I would have taken the less-permanent route to doing this, though, as @smithjohnj suggested on page 26, but I like how these turned out, in any case. To make the flaps stay down I bought sticky Velcro strips and planned on gluing them to the boot using E-6000, but they were surprisingly adhesive on their own...I may not have to glue them down at all. We will see.

I'm also a little concerned, even after sealing the dye, if the boots get wet at all the dye will come off the boots (and onto my hands). I sealed them with the Angelus matte finisher, but I may go the beeswax route instead. I also wondered, has anybody thought about coating the vest in wax? It's apparently incredibly easy, and the vest appears to be coated in many images. Here's a how-to guide, if interested: How to Wax Your Own Clothing and Gear

View attachment 712451View attachment 712452

These boots look fantastic!! Well done!!
Cookiedala I used 1/2" electrical tape on the back of my tubing to help keep them together and straight on my vest ... although the hair dryer idea sounds like a good one to keep things straight.

Not much to report from my build ... hopefully will have some more work on it this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure many of you know, Anovos has some of Jyn's outfits for pre order.

i really dig her pancho(?) she wears on Eadu; so cool. Not to mention practical.

All around, very cool info and great work here:thumbsup

I finished my holster after I received my BlasTech a-180 and tonfa in the post :) I cut them out of 3mm thick harness leather, which I dyed and weathered to make them match the references in the Visual Dictionary more. I added a velcro closure on the left side and I used rivets to attach the loops on the side. I might weather the rivets and the snaps a bit, but over all I'm pretty happy with the result (as well as the fact my sewing machine would actually sew the side seam of my holster). The blaster and tonfa are 3d prints and I've only repainted the blaster for now.
holster.jpg

Cookiedala Your holster looks fantastic! I'm really impressed, especially with the ability of your sewing machine to sew the side seam...I'm afraid mine is on its way out simply from sewing thick webbing material.

Speaking of webbing, did anybody figure out how to dye the molle ALICE adaptor pieces dark brown? I used RIT natural fibers dye first with salt for the sleeping bag webbing, and I threw in the ALICE adaptor pieces just for kicks. They didn't take the dye, which I figured, so I did a second run with nearly boiling water and vinegar to create an acid bath on both the sleeping bag webbing and the ALICE adaptor pieces. The sleeping bag webbing dyed much better the second time and look pretty good, but the color could be a little darker. The ALICE adaptor pieces took some of the dye but again, they could be MUCH darker. They should be dark in contrast to the vest fabric, and the ALICE adaptor pieces remain lighter in color. I just bought Jacquard acid dye to try a third run, and I'm reminiscent of a post in this thread somewhere with somebody trying to dye the military sleeping bag straps with red wine, yet the most success came from soaking themselves in red wine instead. Perhaps that will be my experience too...grumble...

Restill I have not tried dyeing my ALICE adapter yet but they appear to be made of nylon. If so, nylon is porous and it takes on color by having the dye pigment move into the structure of the filament. This can require a longer time in the bath than other fibers. One way which has worked to speed up the process for me in the past is to soak the article in water overnight, then just prior to dyeing replace the soaking water with hot water the temperature of the dye bath for a short time. Then when you move the article to the dye bath the pigment seems to be able to migrate into the filament a little easier.

@Restill I have not tried dyeing my ALICE adapter yet but they appear to be made of nylon. If so, nylon is porous and it takes on color by having the dye pigment move into the structure of the filament. This can require a longer time in the bath than other fibers. One way which has worked to speed up the process for me in the past is to soak the article in water overnight, then just prior to dyeing replace the soaking water with hot water the temperature of the dye bath for a short time. Then when you move the article to the dye bath the pigment seems to be able to migrate into the filament a little easier.

This is marvelous, I'll try soaking the fabric longer and replacing the water with hot water before the dye bath. I was also concerned because the ALICE pieces seem to be coated, but I think it's just the nature of cordura nylon. I have to wait for the dye to arrive in the mail, but with it comes a couple of Schmere Aging Crayons for weathering! I thought I'd try these out and let you know how it goes. I also bought fabric wax for weatherproofing a few days ago, and I thought it would be fun to give it a go on the vest fabric. I really want to get this "greasy" look that Jyn has on the cotton portions of the front vest, so I'm going to play around with a few things and see what I come up with.

jyn_erso_felicity_jones-768x1280.jpg

This is marvelous, I'll try soaking the fabric longer and replacing the water with hot water before the dye bath. I was also concerned because the ALICE pieces seem to be coated, but I think it's just the nature of cordura nylon. I have to wait for the dye to arrive in the mail, but with it comes a couple of Schmere Aging Crayons for weathering! I thought I'd try these out and let you know how it goes. I also bought fabric wax for weatherproofing a few days ago, and I thought it would be fun to give it a go on the vest fabric. I really want to get this "greasy" look that Jyn has on the cotton portions of the front vest, so I'm going to play around with a few things and see what I come up with.

View attachment 714007

Hi!
I don't think I did a ~perfect job, but I used the same leather dye that I did on my boots and gloves for the ALICE adapter. I applied it liberally and did one coat. You can see it here (and for everyone who is wondering what's up, I'm modding the Disney store kids' vest for now, since my measurements are just so small anyway!) https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgoa5Qhva-/?taken-by=acosplayfarfaraway

I used the same leather dye on the M60 backpack, which is the strap underneath the tubing and the same webbing rectangles :)

Here's how I did the pintucks:
They took me far longer to figure out than I hoped, but I ended up removing the front side panels and transferring 3 x the shape of the removed panel to fabric to be cut out. I've got pretty thick ankles and the pintucks don't appear to taper, but they do. The un-pintucked fabric ended up being about 28.9 cm on the top and 26 cm on the bottom. I made 25 lines from the seam allowance for 8 pintucks and measured each line to 1.16 cm on top, and 1.04 on the bottom, keeping the lines parallel to the seam allowance line. It took about 6 tries before I got this right for some odd reason...but, miraculously, the pants are nearly there.

I have been working on the pintuck alteration to the pattern for about 3 days now, trying to get the spacing right. (As a politics major, math and I have a complicated relationship...) I think I've about figured it out myself -- this little bit from you will give me an alternate method to try before I run out of muslin. Thanks for the tip!

Update on pants color: Looks like there is a proposed revision for the standard posted on The Rebel Legion for Jyn Erso that includes "Pants are faded black (black, dark grey, or very dark blue accepted) cotton/denim with a wide high-waisted waistband with tab." Members of TRL will be voting on this revision very soon, but it seems any of these colors will be accepted.

This will be a good addition, I think. Since they have done so much with the lighting/tinting of both photographs and the film, it's impossible to get a true read on the color. The dark charcoal seems to be the most viable option to me, rather than black. I think black is just too stark against the weathered look of the jacket, vest, and scarf. Granted, I'm not planning on going for RL at the moment, but it's a good thing to note for later, maybe. =)

View attachment 714007

According to the research and costume designer, the front is actually nylon, not cotton. So you might find changing the fabric would do it, but waxing is a good idea imo.

According to the research and costume designer, the front is actually nylon, not cotton. So you might find changing the fabric would do it, but waxing is a good idea imo.

You are correct, the front is nylon, but the pockets and storm flap are made of the same material as the vest back.

I had success dying th malice webbing by using RIT liquid dye, and having the dye bath simmering ... Two dips, and it matched my webbing.

I finished my holster after I received my BlasTech a-180 and tonfa in the post :) I cut them out of 3mm thick harness leather, which I dyed and weathered to make them match the references in the Visual Dictionary more. I added a velcro closure on the left side and I used rivets to attach the loops on the side. I might weather the rivets and the snaps a bit, but over all I'm pretty happy with the result (as well as the fact my sewing machine would actually sew the side seam of my holster). The blaster and tonfa are 3d prints and I've only repainted the blaster for now.
View attachment 713625

You belt looks great! Mine in vinyl for the moment sadly but I want to ask what you, or anyone else building the belt, has used as a hook for the tonfa?

You belt looks great! Mine in vinyl for the moment sadly but I want to ask what you, or anyone else building the belt, has used as a hook for the tonfa?

I was just looking into this today....does anyone have a good picture of the clip? I can't seem to find one.

I was going to use a carabiner with a wire gate, temporarily.

Also, Soulinertia, I finally got your Kyber crystal and it is GORGEOUS, thanks!

I guess the tonfa clip is a WWII dagger hanger. I bought a replica for WAY too much on eBay, thinking the belt I ordered wouldn't have a tonfa clip, but it did. Here are photos of the replica, and the location and attachment of the clip on the belt. I hope it helps! I bought the replica WWII clip for $50, but if anybody wants mine let me know and I'll send it to you for a FAR more reasonable price. Just send me a message.

Attachments

• 20170313_230104.jpg
    20170313_230104.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 366
  • 20170313_230148.jpg
    20170313_230148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 418
  • 20170313_230206.jpg
    20170313_230206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 426
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had a lot of fun on this build experimenting with dyes and I learned a lot I will use for future projects (except being into quilting). I used a similar clip to the one Restill posted, but I might just poke around for a WWII one. Note that a lot of spare shoulder straps for bags have this kind of clip too, so you might be better off looking at goodwill or so.

As for the Molle Alice Webbing, I didn't want to waste money buying things I would take apart or only use one small piece off, so I bought some herringbone woven tape with an eyelet added to the top. I also made the vest hook from a bit of thermoplast and a paper-clip, since again I couldn't justify wasting money on a harness when I'm only going to use a single hook off it and I haven't been able to find another Jyn locally to share a rugsack harness with.

I finally stopped slacking; sewed my lining in place in the armpits and added the final tiny details like cord and sliders. Since yesterday the weather outside was so lovely, I spend some time weathering my vest and burning the ends of my rubber cord together at an angle so they lay flat. I also noticed that in some of the display photo's you can clearly see the cord being sewn into place, so I did that as well. Now I'm going to wait for my silver code cylinder, as I only have gold ones for my Juno Eclipse costume) and get some decent pictures so I can submit my Jyn to Rebel Legion, much on request of my friends. This is (I think) my finished vest;

vest.jpg

Cookiedala WOAH, I'm obsessed with the color of your vest, and the back looks so fantastic, I hope mine turns out half as nice as that. Do you remember what fabrics you used for the back/front of the vest? I chose a ripstop nylon and a cotton twill in comparable colors, but they're just slightly off. The ripstop is just slightly more gray, while the twill is just slightly more red.

@Cookiedala WOAH, I'm obsessed with the color of your vest, and the back looks so fantastic, I hope mine turns out half as nice as that. Do you remember what fabrics you used for the back/front of the vest? I chose a ripstop nylon and a cotton twill in comparable colors, but they're just slightly off. The ripstop is just slightly more gray, while the twill is just slightly more red.
Thank you kindly! I used a tie-tack quilt for the back which I basted in after with some coarse thread, pressed the shape in before pulling the access threads.
I used a cotton twill with a very light stretch in it and a nylon fabric used for bomber-jackets and the like, so it's durable but still very thin (finding a ripstop was too tedious for my budget build). The cotton has this overly soft feel to it and has the tendency to be fairly fuzzy due to the way it was woven, normally I wouldn't go for such a fuzzy material, but in this case I thought it would help hide the small puckers from my quilting (which it totally did!). My colours are also ever so slightly off, mainly because the Nylon catches the light differently then the cotton does, but combined with the weathering I've done on the top side it looks fine. I've used a combination of black, tan and dark brown acrylic paints with some textile medium and a lot of patience to weather the surface of my vest as well as the trousers.

Here's how I did the pintucks:
They took me far longer to figure out than I hoped, but I ended up removing the front side panels and transferring 3 x the shape of the removed panel to fabric to be cut out. I've got pretty thick ankles and the pintucks don't appear to taper, but they do. The un-pintucked fabric ended up being about 28.9 cm on the top and 26 cm on the bottom. I made 25 lines from the seam allowance for 8 pintucks and measured each line to 1.16 cm on top, and 1.04 on the bottom, keeping the lines parallel to the seam allowance line....

I'm working on a fitting muslin, but wanted to give the pintucks one last run. So a quick follow up: How far apart are your completed pintucks, Restill?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back