Help! Buddy the Elf Costume.

Casey2124

Hey guys! So I have started to think about making a Buddy the Elf costume as it is my favorite Christmas movie. The costumes online are only around $30, but they are ugly and don't resemble to jacket very well unless you want to pay $180 for the deluxe costume. Here is the thing, I have no idea how to even start making a jacket like Buddys as I have no experience in sewing or anything of that sort... If anyone has any tips on how to start and what to get I would love some input! Thanks!

elf-movie-poster.jpg

Start with a google search of sewing patterns. This is what I found http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sewing-Pattern-2542-Costumes/dp/B002YZOJHE. If that one is not to your liking look for other sewing patterns on such websites as Simplicity and McCalls (specifically the costume sections). Find one that best matches the look of what you want. Since you have no experience sewing, I wouldn't recommend making heavy changes to a pattern, but if you did, trace the pattern onto newsprint paper, the modify it to look how you want. Then cut it out of really cheap fabric to make sure it works for what you want. Once you have a mock-up that works, then buy the expensive stuff (looks like a green velvet or fleece with white fur lining).

It looks like he has embroidery lining the edges. You have several options there. You can ignore it, replace it with some kind of yellow lace or trim, find an embroidery machine and get help from someone who really knows what they are doing (I would suggest consulting with them after finding the pattern but before doing anything else), or learn to hand embroider and have lots of fun with that :p.

Hopefully this helps getting you started.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can check out this guys thread for advice: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=224394

It looks like he has embroidery lining the edges. You have several options there. You can ignore it, replace it with some kind of yellow lace or trim, find an embroidery machine and get help from someone who really knows what they are doing (I would suggest consulting with them after finding the pattern but before doing anything else), or learn to hand embroider and have lots of fun with that :p.

Fabric paint embroidery is an option too:
paint3.jpg

It is better quality sadly still $80 and a size large. I am a size Medium and a college student, haha! Thanks for the links though!:)

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think about that! If I go through with trying to make this I will try that for sure! Thank you!:)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back