What would you like to see in a war film?

I'd love to see Halo playing, trash-talking kids get into a real environment and realize they are not in an air conditioned room, eating cheetos, picking up health packs while endlessly sprinting.

I don't get the impression that the young Halo player really thinks combat would be so much fun in real life.

I think modern video games & movies actually help show kids that war is hell. Sure it can be made "fun" when the protagonist is better skilled & equipped than his opponents. But the basics of totally random living & dying is still there. So is the gore. That's actually a lot more exposure to the dark side than kids typically got a few generations back.

I think they should put actual pain inducers into video games...you get shot, you feel it. I guaran-damn-tee that would get these kids off the couch.

2 of my favorites
Shown from german perspective

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414856800770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414856800770.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414856809995.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414856809995.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 39
And...
This original series aired when i was a kid and it still gives me goosebumps (not sure i spelled that correct) :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414856998608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414856998608.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
I'd like to see a war film that has at the heart of it a football match held between the Alies and the Germans that takes place in Paris and could star all the worlds best footballers like Naymar and Messi, and including Germany stars such as Ozil. You could put a non playing star in the mix too just to sort out the clearly lacking acting skills, someone like Will Ferrel, who could play in goal.
It could be full of drama and self conflict, the match being used as a pretext of a grand escape plan - do the Alies escape or do they win the football match?

I'd like to see a war film that has at the heart of it a football match held between the Alies and the Germans that takes place in Paris and could star all the worlds best footballers like Naymar and Messi, and including Germany stars such as Ozil. You could put a non playing star in the mix too just to sort out the clearly lacking acting skills, someone like Will Ferrel, who could play in goal.
It could be full of drama and self conflict, the match being used as a pretext of a grand escape plan - do the Alies escape or do they win the football match?

Interesting. I think it's gonna need some star power in it. Maybe we should cast, say, a young Sylvester Stallone in it?

My first thought is a good movie adaptation of Gates of Fire, a great fiction piece about the Spartans at Thermopylae. No, not that 300 nonsense please. A more robust and honest interpretation of history.

Anthony Hopkins 15 or 20 years ago would have done a great Leonidas.

I would like to see a good WW2 film done from the German perspective. A "Battle of Kursk" movie would be awesome!

Another good one, would be an adaptation of "The Forgotten Soldier". It's about a young half German/half French boy from Alsace, who volunteers for the Wehrmacht after being impressed by some German soldiers he saw during the invasion of France. He is very quickly thrown into the horrors of battle on the eastern front. He develops a close friendship with a few German buddies. The book does an amazing job describing day to day actions of this close knot group and their hope to survive the horrors and make it back home. Also a nice reminder that some German soldiers were just normal people and not raving lunatic nazzies looking for atrocities to commit.
Really good German WWII movie? Still in my books "Der Untergang" aka Downfall - the theaterical edition with swiss actor Bruno Ganz as Hitler. It's more of a docu-movie based on Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge reminiscences she wrote in the book "Bis zur letzten Stunde" (Til the last hours). It covers the last 12 days of the Third Reich, how Junge was selected as Hitler's personal secretary and gives a frightening and more real insights to the mostly too often exaggerated american point of view of the barking madhound that was Adolf Hitler. The most terrifying aspect: he could be a gentle and kind guy like you and me. And in the next moment a total relentless tyrant. You'll need to read some history books beforehand to watch the movie, it makes the experience more real. I had the luck to hear first hand witness of my old history teacher, she looked like an old hag, was totally strict, but you learned something from her and she could tell stories from WWII, you're really in this periode.

And...
This original series aired when i was a kid and it still gives me goosebumps (not sure i spelled that correct) :)
Das Boot is good, Stanlingrad was gorey, but nevertheless shows the horror of the senseless holding of Stalingrad.

I would like to see a good WW2 film done from the German perspective. A "Battle of Kursk" movie would be awesome!

Yes!

I always wanted to see a war film with the Battle of Kursk, the largest tank battle in history, as the centerpiece.

I just saw 'Fury' last week and it had some pretty good tank scenes in it as well. But something about Kursk would be phenomenal if done well.

batguy,

You've never seen the kid who wants to play football, parents buy all the gear, "football...football...football" is all they can say until the coach makes them run a lap in full gear, then "football is stupid." ? blame the parents

Too many movies have the novice sweet talk their way through something or figure out in an instant what the seasoned veteran couldn't.

Ever seen a bunch of Halo players play paintball for the first time? Before and after pics camo vs Skittles

I am not saying this to taunt anyone, I just get tired of seeing movies about it the undisciplined failure who saves the tribe (sometimes after they are expelled).
@Ironreverse,

I love playing games in the privacy or my own home as well, I also like playing online with my guild. The anonymity is a real issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
time travelling aircraft carriers with a proper ending. :D

as a kid seeing the Final Countdown in the theatre, i wanted the jets to engage and blow the WWII planes to smithereens at the end.

I'd like to see a movie about the Luftwaffe. Maybe about Jagdgeschwader 27 in Africa, with Jochen Marseille.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

After talking about Fury with some co-workers earlier today I think I'd like to see a WW II movie with a little more variety in vehicles, equipment, and weapons being used. In Fury it was nice to see a few M8 Greyhounds, something that I never recall seeing before on film, and Brad Pitt and his Stg44, I'd like to see more of that in a WW II film and not just the same old vehicles and guns over and over. On the US side more armored cars, some tank destroyers maybe, and definitely more grease guns. On the German side, some PzKpfw IVs or Panthers instead of just Tigers, and some of their Sturmgeschutz and Jagdpanzers, and definitely a kettenkrad.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back