Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

You see the firing of the missiles in "Return of the Jedi", when Lando arrives the mainreactor of the second death star with the Falcon - the are fired around the moment when Wedge fires his x-wings proton-torpedo at the core. The missile-launcher is integrated between the mandibles....

The ever sloppy MPC "cut away" version has the missile magazine assembly incorporated, but I think that's the only kit that has them. Which makes sense since it's a cut away. I did one once and was tempted to omit them.
This is a great thread!

I'm working on this model and I'm trying to learn everything I can about the Falcon. I've read that in RotJ, the Falcon had concussive missiles.
1. Were those depicted physically on the model?
2. Was she shown firing those missiles in the movie?

I just thought it was odd for such an spendy kit. I've got 4 1/72 Xwings and they all came with stickers and water slide...how odd that a PG wouldn't, right?

I personally hold to the belief that it's because the 1/72 Millennium Falcon is distributed under the Perfect Grade line, and not the "main" Star Wars line.

You see the firing of the missiles in "Return of the Jedi", when Lando arrives the mainreactor of the second death star with the Falcon - the are fired around the moment when Wedge fires his x-wings proton-torpedo at the core. The missile-launcher is integrated between the mandibles....

I haven’t reviewed the footage, but from memory you don’t actually see any extra hardware in the film, do you? You see a superimposed burst of light and an animated rocket trail, but nothing more than that.

The Haynes manual:
attachment.php
attachment.php

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 13.10.22.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 13.10.22.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,366
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 13.09.59.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 13.09.59.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 1,157

Finally gave in and bought the Bandai 1/72 MF ( It was 40% off at HLJ.co.jp ). But can only get the Standard released. Will there be or is there already a 3rd party photo-etched parts and water slide decals for this version?

The bad news is, I asked around to the current PE suppliers and they say they have no plans to produce a set, being as the 400 buck kit comes with. And more bad news, you only get the stickers with the standard kit. Unless you know someone that did buy the deluxe version and still has the receipt and you will need the "blufin" contact info on the box and the box codes. Trying to contact Bandai is a dead end. I just did it for another member here who bought what you bought. I sent him my receipt and it sounds like they're going to get him decal sheet. (he told them it was missing) But the PE, that's going to be a toughy. So unless Bandai starts selling those items separately as upgrades, you're in a pickle. Sorry the info wasn't more positive...but if you know someone that will let you use their receipt and box codes for blufin, you can probably get the decals. Good luck my friend :thumbsup
Finally gave in and bought the Bandai 1/72 MF ( It was 40% off at HLJ.co.jp ). But can only get the Standard released. Will there be or is there already a 3rd party photo-etched parts and water slide decals for this version?

That sucks. I was hoping to see aftermarket options for both. Bandai's decals are awful, I can see the dots in photos. And the etch is lacking in detail, that's the kind of thing that could be improved on. Green Strawberry's multi layer approach with the engine grills really added a lot of relief, which would look good on the cockpit grill as well.

I must agree, Green Strawberry was the first ones I asked, and they said they had no plans to produce any. Then I sent an email to Para and got no reply. Perhaps they think they can't improve on the stuff Bandai supplies with the kit. but one has to wonder...if Bandai is selling a lower grade kit without any at all, and the price point of the higher grade kit being what it is, you'd think they would consider that there might be a market to those who chose the lower grade kit?
That sucks. I was hoping to see aftermarket options for both. Bandai's decals are awful, I can see the dots in photos. And the etch is lacking in detail, that's the kind of thing that could be improved on. Green Strawberry's multi layer approach with the engine grills really added a lot of relief, which would look good on the cockpit grill as well.

The only other option is to use replacement parts from Shapeways. 308 bits and Age of Plastic already have some better-detailed parts, but I don't think I've seen engine grill covers.

I bought 3 of the engine grille sets from Starship Modeler that fit the MPC, but have yet to use any of them. That might be an option. It's pretty intricate and once assembled probably looks pretty good.
The only other option is to use replacement parts from Shapeways. 308 bits and Age of Plastic already have some better-detailed parts, but I don't think I've seen engine grill covers.

I bought 3 of the engine grille sets from Starship Modeler that fit the MPC, but have yet to use any of them. That might be an option. It's pretty intricate and once assembled probably looks pretty good.

The MPC ones fit the PG Falcon? I have a nose cone and cockpit for my MPC from 308 bits and it is way too small for the PG Bandai kit.

As for aftermarket decals, just the stencil markings would do. Don't need the major colored panel decals.

Someone needs to do us all a solid and produce such a sheet!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry, I should have been more specific,I was referring to the engine grille issue, which could be easily modified I'm sure. Though the general dimensions of the MPC and the PG are very similar. I was sizing up the 308 ESB gear boxes for the MPC I have, to see if they would work on the PG, and they would with mods (then I asked Tony to just make some specific) I'm sure you are correct about those other pieces.
The MPC ones fit the PG Falcon? I have a nose cone and cockpit for my MPC from 308 bits and it is way too small for the PG Bandai kit.

Sorry, I should have been more specific,I was referring to the engine grille issue, which could be easily modified I'm sure. Though the general dimensions of the MPC and the PG are very similar. I was sizing up the 308 ESB gear boxes for the MPC I have, to see if they would work on the PG, and they would with mods (then I asked Tony to just make some specific) I'm sure you are correct about those other pieces.

I figured it was the engine grille issue. So the MPC ones you picked up from Starship modeler will fit the PG?

I haven't sized it up, so I'm not sure. I was speculating that it would given the dimensional similarities. however, I can pull the stuff out and see. I have quite the inventory of falcon parts...it's sickening really since I made molds of most of the 308 stuff and still have all the originals. I have a Blue Moon kit, an original HH kit and gobs of 308 parts for MPC...gobs. I have like 2 or 3 MPC kits left and figured I'd use the original 308 pieces on the next build, then the HH, and I may just use the Moon stuff on a hang from the ceiling build, just to use it up. After that I don't see doing anymore MPC's. As for the molds I guess I'll listen out for anyone wanting a set of stuff and offer to do up a set for cheap for anyone on a budget. :confused One things for sure though...I know the MPC's now inside and out, top to bottom :lol
I figured it was the engine grille issue. So the MPC ones you picked up from Starship modeler will fit the PG?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back