Cooper's wardrobe in Interstellar

ddspike22

I saw a thread about the spacesuits from Interstellar but didn't see one specifically on Cooper's wardrobe. Here's everything that has been ID'ed as far as I know.
cooper.jpg
1.Jacket-Carhartt Duck Detroit jacket, The one Mcconaughey wears doesn't have the blanket lining and the Carhartt logo is subdued. Perhaps so its less in your face product placement.
2.Jeans-Levis (501?)
3.Boots-Red Wing Iron Ranger
4.T-shirt-James Perse white crew-neck (He also wears a long sleeve navy crew-neck by James Perse while on the Endurance)
5.Watch- Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date

So I checked some reviews on the Carhartt website for the Detroit jacket, and I came across something pretty interesting:
359AC898-E5EA-48D8-91C1-5210CE5BD041.png
That led to this:
A9C25AE9-6A99-4225-B758-7433C747C3A6.jpeg
This is known as the Weathered Carhartt Duck Detroit Jacket (in the Carhartt Brown Color). Since the Item code is slightly different, I believe it’s a different jacket from the one sold at the website (along with the screenshot info I posted above). This one has been really difficult to find, and many retailers no longer sell it.

So I checked some reviews on the Carhartt website for the Detroit jacket, and I came across something pretty interesting:
View attachment 817241
That led to this:
View attachment 817242
This is known as the Weathered Carhartt Duck Detroit Jacket (in the Carhartt Brown Color). Since the Item code is slightly different, I believe it’s a different jacket from the one sold at the website (along with the screenshot info I posted above). This one has been really difficult to find, and many retailers no longer sell it.
Yeah I've seen that, I bought mine right when the movie came out and I don't remember seeing any other version available then the blanket lining version. I've never seen the version without the blanket lining except for Cooper's actually. This is the best shot I could find at the moment, but its clear its not the grey blanket lining but more of a brown that matches the collar. Cooper.jpg

My best guess would be that it was custom made for the production (the lining and alternate Carhartt logo patch considered). And you’re right, I haven’t seen a non-blanket lined Detroit jacket in that color for sale anywhere. While I’m at it, I decided to post the best reference image I could of the boots:
6EE12E81-B5F9-4096-9E1F-101E1D006E61.jpeg
Brightened:
D85EAB1E-50BE-4214-87FC-59821FF18E84.jpeg
I think it’s pretty clear they’ve been identified as the Redwing Iron Ranger boots, but I’ve only been able to narrow it down to 2 colors:
98341931-04E5-4472-BD23-50BDE48F53E2.jpeg0E06ED34-1BFC-4F62-9F8E-1DCAC33B5B20.jpeg
They are both available here (in order of attachment):
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/mens-footwear/6-inch-boots/6-amber-8111-08111
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/U...r/6-inch-boots/iron-ranger-oxblood-mesa-08119

My best guess would be that it was custom made for the production (the lining and alternate Carhartt logo patch considered). And you’re right, I haven’t seen a non-blanket lined Detroit jacket in that color for sale anywhere. While I’m at it, I decided to post the best reference image I could of the boots:
View attachment 817358
Brightened:
View attachment 817359
I think it’s pretty clear they’ve been identified as the Redwing Iron Ranger boots, but I’ve only been able to narrow it down to 2 colors:
View attachment 817360View attachment 817361
They are both available here (in order of attachment):
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/product/mens-footwear/6-inch-boots/6-amber-8111-08111
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/U...r/6-inch-boots/iron-ranger-oxblood-mesa-08119
Yeah its not hard to imagine that they altered the Carhartt beyond just subduing the chest logo because the blanket lining isn't really necessary with the summer-ish weather shown in the film. His Red Wings are obviously well worn and the colors amber and mesa look so similar its difficult to tell which one it is. Mine are amber by the way. I actually first wore them walking around a filming location from the film. LA.JPG

Now that I think about it, I’m leaning towards the mesa boots as being the accurate ones. My reasons for this are the seemingly gold eyelets and the contrast between the leather and the laces (on the amber boots there is not much of a contrast between colors on the boots, but the mesa boots have the much darker laces, producing a contrast similar to the screencap). Also, that filming location you visited still looks as it did during production! That is so cool that you got to visit it!

Now that I think about it, I’m leaning towards the mesa boots as being the accurate ones. My reasons for this are the seemingly gold eyelets and the contrast between the leather and the laces (on the amber boots there is not much of a contrast between colors on the boots, but the mesa boots have the much darker laces, producing a contrast similar to the screencap). Also, that filming location you visited still looks as it did during production! That is so cool that you got to visit it!
Definitely a possibility, like I said its difficult to tell because they're so weathered. And yeah it's the hotel I stayed at while in LA which doubled as the NASA HQ.

Interstellar.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back