Alan Grant "Jurassic Park" U-Dig-It Trowel/Shovel Leather Case

I'm looking for one of these for a cosplay of Dr. Grant from the first "Jurassic Park". Its a U-Dig-It brand folding shovel/trowel in a leather case but its sadly been discontinued (the vers. with the leather case).

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Hand...g_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J6JMFZQRRE6T1AZQCFWJ

Anyone have any suggestions of oddball shops or online sites to search for one of these things, or in the least a CLOSE variant of. I've scoured the obvious sites (eBay, amazon, etc...)

Thanks for reading,
Michael

This won't help but I bought a few of them just two years ago, so if they are discontinued it hasn't been for very long.

This came to me in natural colored leather but I dyed it dark brown to match Grant's. It shouldn't be tough to replicate and honestly you don't really need to wording as you can't see it on screen, you just need the pouch.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Funky, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Should be able to make a pattern from that, and then it's just a matter of finding someone to work the leather for me. Thanks!

(One last request, though: About how long is the center piece, i.e. the one that curves over the trowel? I want to be sure I get the dimensions right for a good, snug fit.)

Honestly, that wouldn't help much. It a snug fit. The best way to do it is buy the trowel first then give it to your leather worker. This way they can build the case around the trowel. Like I said, it's a snug fit.

I have traced a crude, prototype pattern for the sheath (thanks to Funky ), and I present it here, free for all to use.

This should not be taken as a perfect replica, and will certainly need to be tested and adjusted by the end user, but it is a start. This is as close to actual size as I can get given the references. Page size is US Letter; 8.5 x 11 inches. Print at 100% actual size.

Good luck and happy ... digging?

Attachments

• Sheath v 1.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll totally make these from nice leather for people if there's interest. Looks like a very straight forward build.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back