Lovecraftian Necronomicon Project

retrogarde

patreonbanner1.jpg

Hey folks, I am embarking on a very large project: an 800 page reproduction of the John Dee Necronomicon, as featured in the Lovecraft story The Dunwich Horror.
To facilitate this I am using Patreon as a subscription service: for the monthly subscription price I am mailing out one 11x17 double sided leaf to my patrons (when I get to 100 patrons I'll double my output). It will still take a good number of years to produce, but I am allowing myself to really dig into this material and create something special.

leaf002promo1.jpg

If anyone wants to support this please feel free to check it out here: https://www.patreon.com/Proppingupthemythos

I'll post update photos like the one above as I go along, and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who digs what I'm doing!

Attachments

• bookmockup.jpg
    bookmockup.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 251
Mike J.!
I was honestly hoping you would see this. Your page has been a constant source of inspiration across a few different fandoms (I'm still thinking about reproducing one of the Blade Runner "Owl" soldiers that you documented). Your version of the Yellow Sign is great by the way!
This is going to be a fun project, but when I say Necronomicon most folks think of the Evil Dead films, so I have to do a lot of clarification!

One of my Patrons made a nifty promotional video of the first leaf of the project: https://youtu.be/xZqiIlxTqA0

No way I'd scroll past a thread title with 'Lovecraft' in it, LOL!

Thanks for the appreciation, too – I just wish my blog and I were cranking out more content lately. Glad you like my Yellow Sign; I put a lot of thought (and sketched variations) in to it : ) This Saturday is Robert W. Chambers' birthday, so don't for get to observe it, however you decide appropriate.

I banged out a gibberish mock Necronomicon about 13 years ago, in college, inspired by the cyphered text of "The Nine Gates" (novel & movie) and with help from my brother, who wrote a sort of random text generator in Javascript. Typeset it in a rough-looking font, added chapter breaks & 'pull quotes' and pasted the printed out pages into a hand-bound 'sketchbook.' Wouldn't stand up to any scrutiny IRL, but for a photography prop, it worked well.

More recently, 4 years ago I dummied up a rubricated page of a manuscript Necronomicon, with a suitable woodcut illustration (lucky find online).

Nothing nearly as intricate as what you're in the middle of! Highest of high fives to you!

Thanks for sharing this – your photography & your Patron's video are great.

@RobertMuldoon , check out Retrogarde's work!

-Mike J.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back