Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Been a while since I've posted - but I've been busy!

Finally got my hands on Part #53 from the SeaLab III kit. Also some other random bits - Ferrari 312B Headers, LS Morgan parts, Tamiya M577 parts...

More are in progress too!

Cheers,
J.

Aurora_SeaLab_Part39_Sinks.163.jpg
Tamiya_Ferrari_312B_ExhaustManifold.154.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_Seats.151.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_Seats.150.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_Seats.149.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_Radiator.159.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_Radiator.158.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_FloorPan.169.jpg
LS_Morgan_Plus8_FloorPan.168.jpg
Tamiya_M577.183.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see more updates on this! One of my favorite projects because the idea of digitally archiving pieces that can be used for CG or 3D prints or deriving accurate dimensions for other elements is such a compelling idea to me. In fact, over the last month or so, I finally got into learning SketchUp and have been doing this type of thing, on a much more novice level, with some of my own projects. Right now, I'm trying to build a model of a monitor I have, that I disassembled, to learn different modelling techniques that are more complicated than the models I've been working on so far. But I wanted to point out that your project really encouraged me to start doing stuff like this on my own.

I'm curious if you saw the convention video where they showed their modeled parts database and if you thought your work was more or less detailed than theirs?

Also, do you have an estimate for both the number of found parts that are on the 5' Falcon and how much area they take up if they were arranged on a table fairly close to one another? I'm trying to get a big picture idea of how much material is from kits, verses scratch built elements.

Great to see more updates on this! One of my favorite projects because the idea of digitally archiving pieces that can be used for CG or 3D prints or deriving accurate dimensions for other elements is such a compelling idea to me. In fact, over the last month or so, I finally got into learning SketchUp and have been doing this type of thing, on a much more novice level, with some of my own projects. Right now, I'm trying to build a model of a monitor I have, that I disassembled, to learn different modelling techniques that are more complicated than the models I've been working on so far. But I wanted to point out that your project really encouraged me to start doing stuff like this on my own.

I'm curious if you saw the convention video where they showed their modeled parts database and if you thought your work was more or less detailed than theirs?

Also, do you have an estimate for both the number of found parts that are on the 5' Falcon and how much area they take up if they were arranged on a table fairly close to one another? I'm trying to get a big picture idea of how much material is from kits, verses scratch built elements.

So happy to hear you're inspired to get into 3D yourself! You're monitor project is a great way to get into it and mirrors how I got into 3D as well.

As for the ILM kit bash library, it's definitely optimized for CGI use. I don't think their parts would yield a very satisfactory result for creating a real-world physical model. MY background is in product design, so I've been taking an approach that is more like what we'd do to actually manufacture a product. The flip side of that is that my models take a lot longer to build and are way "heavier" - I doubt I could ever have the entire Falcon onscreen at one and have it be any sort of interactivity. ILM are doing the right thing for what they intend to use their library for.

As for the number of parts on the Falcon? Not sure. There are 150+ unique kits used on it, plus some random bits that aren't from models. I would guess the part count is well into the thousands.

Cheers,
J.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more random M577 bits from the jawbox and access pits...

Tamiya_M577.194.jpg

Tamiya_M577.220b.jpg

Hopefully all have a couple parts to add to the collection. Right now im learning solid works. I actually just finished my first model. The at-st esb stop motion armature.

Missing the pic in the last one, M.

R/ Robert

Update-----------------
One hour after your next post, it now appears... weird!
R

Last edited:
i don't know if it's the angle your displaying this part but the sides are not parallel, see attached shot showing the two scales bonnets butted up to each other in a triangle shape
View attachment 652636
Heres the bonnet as a part on the sprue
View attachment 652637

Try this. I think the lens was playing a trick. And I put a rearward facing part in the shot - which is probably how you're used to seeing it...

Tamiya_Kubelwagen-Pkw.k1_Part15.b.jpg

This is a great thread and your work is fantastic. I am not planning to start a MF for about another year, but I love your idea. I am gonna get a 3D printer first of 2017 and I was planning to either scratch the greeblies out of styrene or print them. Thank-you so much for sharing your work. It is very inspiring. :)

Speaking of actually printing greebles, not just making them in CAD... Got a new Form2 printer at work. I sure with my Form1 had lived up to this standard, but it's nice to see this quality of part in a desktop unit...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160812/8e74f73d76841a9096da31399add07d9.jpg
Good to know the Form 2 is up to the task. I just got one and am wrapping my head around the specific peculiarities that can make or break a print. Any quick tips since you've had such good results? Thanks again for making your fantastic parts available.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back