Soylent Green / Rollerball...same universe? SAME UNIVERSE THREAD!

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love matching up movie universes together.
Ridley Scott has said that ALIEN and Bladerunner live in the same universe (and I suspect Outland as well).

This one is for OLD schoolers of sci-fi.
Soylent Green and (the original) Rollerball. Did THEY happen in the "same universe" as well?
Not really looking for technicalities, but just for fun.
I think they "could" be associated.
Thoughts?

Or for giggles, what other movie constructs could be associated?

I always thought Logan's Run and Silent Running took place in the same world, maybe at different times (and that's totally not based on me constantly confusing the two movies together).

Maybe not entirely "old-school" but I like to imagine Waterworld is the world of Mad Max (particularly Fury Road) before a meteor blasted into Earth, sending most of the water into space.:p

Last edited:
Grey

I grant you that but I've sat through Waterworld more times than I have Tank Girl (and enjoyed most of those times, too). Call me a glutton for punishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Rollerball, the corporate head says that disease and poverty have been eliminated. That doesn't seem the case in Soylant Green.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit Westworld and Futureworld in with another 70s franchise too. Maybe Bladerunner where the robots inspire the creation of replicants.

Soylent Green and the real future world..... same universe, I have no doubt, more and more each year! :cry

Last edited by a moderator:
To me Silent Running and Avatar make total sense. Soylent Green alas can't tie in with another film. It was more explained in the book than in the movie as to why Saul checked out. We had crossed the extinction line of no return, humanity and the main biosphere were totally compromised. Insects would basically inherit the earth.

I remember there being some talk of Blade Runner and Soldier (Kurt Russell) being in the same universe. Although not in the film itself, there is an FX shot of spaceships battling above a planet in the trailer for Soldier- this has been described as (possibly being) the Battle of Tannhauser Gate. There is also a Spinner in the civilian village in Soldier.

Kevin

Last edited:
To me Silent Running and Avatar make total sense. Soylent Green alas can't tie in with another film. It was more explained in the book than in the movie as to why Saul checked out. We had crossed the extinction line of no return, humanity and the main biosphere were totally compromised. Insects would basically inherit the earth.

I agree, things are so bad in the book they based Soylent Green on that I doubt anyone had the money to send the ships from Silent Running into space to start with.

Firefly and Aliens?

anti-aircraft-gun.JPG

I remember there being some talk of Blade Runner and Soldier (Kurt Russell) being in the same universe. Although not in the film itself, there is an FX shot of spaceships battling above a planet in the trailer for Soldier- this has been described as (possibly being) the Battle of Tannhauser Gate. There is also a Spinner in the civilian village in Soldier.

IIRC, there's a scene in Soldier where they're listing Todd's military record, and "Battle of Tannhauser Gate" is in there. IF you were so inclined, you could easily decide that Todd was part of the last generation of human soldiers, and the genetically engineered soldiers that replaced him were, in fact, the first "Replicants" as we know them. EDIT: Added a still showing the Spinner in the foreground of the settlement. Also listed in Todd's record are two references to Khan's speech from ST:TWOK.

Westworld led to Jurassic Park.

I just re-watched Westworld for the first time in years, and it's interesting how similar it is to JP. Not only are they both exclusive, expensive, technically advanced theme parks catering to childish fantasies (cowboys, knights, dinosaurs) that go awry, BUT in Westworld they seem to have a mysterious malfunction spreading through all the robots, like a computer virus, which suggests a parallel with the deliberate virus that we know Nedry puts into the JP computer system. Additionally, they're both physically isolated and reached by air, Westworld by some futuristic flying wing / hovercraft thing and JP by helicopter. Westworld also seems to prefigure Terminator a bit.

-MJ

Attachments

• soldier_large_06.jpg
    soldier_large_06.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 90
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back