Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I think you guys are giving the writers of Empire way too much credit. For continuity purposes it would be nice if adding the extra landing gear is what Chewie was actually doing. Not so sure it was thought through that well. In fact I'm willing to bet they never felt that every detail about the film would be analyzed and picked apart for the next 40 years, and thought no one would notice the additions. It would be nice if I'm wrong. Has anyone read anything on it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you guys are giving the writers of Empire way too much credit. For continuity purposes it would be nice if adding the extra landing gear is what Chewie was actually doing. Not so sure it was thought through that well. In fact I'm willing to bet they never felt that every detail about the film would be analyzed and picked apart for the next 40 years, and thought no one would notice the additions. It would be nice if I'm wrong. Has anyone read anything on it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well I read in the ESB novelization something about Han looking at the falcon on its newly installed landing pods while on hoth... if that counts?

That's what I'm thinking also...I have that "Haynes Manual" thing on the Falcon and it seems like that's what I read in there, have to double on that. It eluded to after they set up shop on Hoth, Han had decided the Falcon needed some overdue repairs and upgrades, and the extra landing gear being among them. So, now lets really get into the weeds...did he order them from Corellian Corp? Does Yellow Freight deliver that far out? :lol Seeing as how the Falcon was already a half century old, not likely...or did he scrounge them up from another heavier YT model in a bone yard? In that book I mentioned there are many variations of the YT series, and it did have a long production run and numbers. Seeing the symmetry of the added gear for what it is, I'd at least venture that they are indeed specific to the YT series ships, yes? I know, is it really that important? probably not, but I'm one of those that far prefer the ESB version over ANH. That's the main reason I'm patiently waiting on Tony 308 to complete his add on gear for the PG, rather than modifying a set that was made for the MPC, (they are super close to fitting, I have a set and sized it up to the PG hull) and of course my PG will be the center piece in my Echo base diorama.
Well I read in the ESB novelization something about Han looking at the falcon on its newly installed landing pods while on hoth... if that counts?

I have been looking into how various models of the Falcon are displayed, and I feel there is a tendency that she gets displayed with the portside to the front, even though the cockpit is on the other side.

5 foot model in the "Science meets Imagination" exhibition:

falcon_museum1.jpg

32 inch model in the "Starwars Identities" exhibition:

falcon_museum2.jpg

MR Falcon:

falcon_MR1.jpg

I wonder if there is a reason for that, like the Parthenon is considered to look most beautiful from her diagonal approach, not facing straight on to the facade.

That's what I'm thinking also...I have that "Haynes Manual" thing on the Falcon and it seems like that's what I read in there, have to double on that. It eluded to after they set up shop on Hoth, Han had decided the Falcon needed some overdue repairs and upgrades, and the extra landing gear being among them. So, now lets really get into the weeds...did he order them from Corellian Corp? Does Yellow Freight deliver that far out? [emoji38] Seeing as how the Falcon was already a half century old, not likely...or did he scrounge them up from another heavier YT model in a bone yard? In that book I mentioned there are many variations of the YT series, and it did have a long production run and numbers. Seeing the symmetry of the added gear for what it is, I'd at least venture that they are indeed specific to the YT series ships, yes? I know, is it really that important? probably not, but I'm one of those that far prefer the ESB version over ANH. That's the main reason I'm patiently waiting on Tony 308 to complete his add on gear for the PG, rather than modifying a set that was made for the MPC, (they are super close to fitting, I have a set and sized it up to the PG hull) and of course my PG will be the center piece in my Echo base diorama.
Craigslist of course. Picked up a good used set of landing gear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's what I have on the extra gear boxes... Those gear boxes were added to the Falcon for more "VISUAL" background as a lot of actor interaction was going to be going on around her. Not that she couldn't stand on three Boxes, per A New Hope. Not even half of the full size Falcon was built For the first film, That's why it needed the "refueling" Pipe or whatever to help prop it up. It wasn't even half of the ship, so the balance was way off.

Irvin Kirshner and Gary Kurtz wanted the new detail added to the ship. Much in the same way they made the cockpit..."bigger"(unfortunately). Just some info I had on the subject. I don't remember where I read/heard it, but that's what I recall before the internet, forums etc...

Seems like I had heard something like that in years past so I'd agree on that being the studio's reasons for it. I guess the silly quandary is Captain Solo's reason for it...which of course is way more important :lol :thumbsup
Here's what I have on the extra gear boxes... Those gear boxes were added to the Falcon for more "VISUAL" background as a lot of actor interaction was going to be going on around her. Not that she couldn't stand on three Boxes, per A New Hope. Not even half of the full size Falcon was built For the first film, That's why it needed the "refueling" Pipe or whatever to help prop it up. It wasn't even half of the ship, so the balance was way off.

Irvin Kirshner and Gary Kurtz wanted the new detail added to the ship. Much in the same way they made the cockpit..."bigger"(unfortunately). Just some info I had on the subject. I don't remember where I read/heard it, but that's what I recall before the internet, forums etc...

mf1.jpegmf2.jpegmf3.jpegmf4.jpegThis is the book I spoke of earlier. Probably NOT the definitive end all on YT info. The one variant looks similar to what is in "Solo", but not dead nuts, obviously. I'm looking forward to seeing if they even try to attempt an explanation on it...but not holding my breath. just think that Disney would have made more of an effort in keeping with the YT1300 we all know and love.

View attachment 816125View attachment 816126View attachment 816127View attachment 816128This is the book I spoke of earlier. Probably NOT the definitive end all on YT info. The one variant looks similar to what is in "Solo", but not dead nuts, obviously. I'm looking forward to seeing if they even try to attempt an explanation on it...but not holding my breath. just think that Disney would have made more of an effort in keeping with the YT1300 we all know and love.

The explanation is that the ship in Solo is Lando's customization. Basically, he pimped it out. Based on the trailer images, it seems to take enough damage that by the end of the movie it can plausibly be transformed into the ship we see in ANH. Looking at those YT variants on the third image, I can see the Lando version fitting in there just fine. I think continuity-wise everything will be okay. When it comes to the Falcon (and Star Wars in general) I think it behooves us fans to be flexible about this stuff. I remember when TESB came out I had a friend who complained non-stop about the extra stuff they added to the Falcon that wasn't in ANH, like the sliding cockpit door, the additional corridor on the other side of the main hold, etc. It completely ruined the movie for him.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back