D.C.'s The Flash (tv series)

Yep, Tobin Bell's IMDB page lists The Flash as an uncredited role as the voice of Alchemy.

I thought it sounded quite familiar as he has this awesome almost liquid quality to the voice which was similar. Didn't tweak fully until someone mentioned it on a youtube show. In terms of show voices, Reverse Flash and Zoom still sound more iconic so far. But we'll see how Alchemy does as a villain. He's won one beat down with the Flash already with his philosophers stone or whatever it was.

Last edited:
IMHO, the Point was driven home MUCH better, and on a much more personal and smaller scale on the show than it was in the comic/movie.

the movie just came out as gore fan fiction to me. hardly interesting.
The movie just came off as an excuse for more violent and depressing super hero action that seems tobe so prevelant these days. probably one reason why it didn't seem as personal to barry as it should have been.

In terms of characterization it has some fantastic moments. Once again, similar to the DCEU complaints, it would help people (if they want) to take a closer look instead of taking a tone and letting that colour everything.

Once Barry realises what has happened, he knows he needs to find Batman, and recreate the accident...not only does he convince a haggard, broken Thomas Wayne to accept his story, he also gets horribly burned by lightning and chemicals. And even once he is burned...he tries again. "This is crazy, you belong in Arkham."

This is a Flash story, and our protagonist displays selflessness and hope (amending for the selfishness that caused the whole situation) Yes, the story around him is bleak - but that's entirely the (flash)point...

Superman, who is kept entirely without yellow sunlight for his entire life on Earth, he doesn't even fully comprehend the word friend - he also learns the word heroes. The very first thing he does, is catch a rocket that is aimed at Cyborg. "Friends." had me tearing up a little. Great stuff. He then accidentally heat visions a few people who are threatening his friends and flies off confused and scared. Perfect blend of realistic storytelling and getting Superman right. I think the only characters that are really pushing the boat are WW and Aquaman. And that is a battle of love/hate driven ego, which as we all know gets to the best of us.

I much prefer my heroes to choose to make the right choice rather than being default good guys always - it's much more powerful. It's part of why I enjoy DCEU Superman - he struggles with his place and some peoples hatred/non acceptance, and sees the depths of what humanity is capable of, and still makes choices to be good. It makes it real.

However, CW Flash also did the idea well within its own framework. I've really enjoyed the last two episodes, and when Barry admits to the team what he did, I was again tearing up (I'm far too emotional when it comes to this stuff, haha) - it was heartbreaking with great character moments.

I can handle a FEW dark and depressing changes.

but IMHO this movie went too over the top. you'd think ONE person might be in a BETTER position because of the changes he made.

Like Sisco was for instance.

I can handle a FEW dark and depressing changes.

but IMHO this movie went too over the top. you'd think ONE person might be in a BETTER position because of the changes he made.

Like Sisco was for instance.

His mum was alive and well, and full of advice?

;)

doesn't count. that was intended.

I find it VERY hard to believe that ONE positive change made about 20 world ending negative changes. It's more of this symtpom that people don't like positive heroes and happy heroes.

If you just kept the negative at superman locked away and lex running things... as well as Bruce and his mother dead, and wayne being batman...THAT would have been shock enough. The whole world dying because one person was saved...that would have been alive ANYWAY if not for eobard thawne changing things, not so much. That would almost make thawne a HERO because he STOPPED that alternate time line from happening by killing his mother.

Damn @NielT I know who bought the Rocketeers run of Reverse Flash cowls. I think the concept of time travel and messing up the future by changing things is drastically over estimated for the majority of us. If for example I wasn't born I wouldn't be around to bust @NielT or Riceball's balls, or Tell Solo that his posts are too long. But for someone like the Flash that is a major person in the world that effects a great magnitude of people it is not hard to believe that no Flash around could mess things up in a pretty epic way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn @NielT I know who bought the Rocketeers run of Reverse Flash cowls. I think the concept of time travel and messing up the future by changing things is drastically over estimated for the majority of us. If for example I wasn't born I wouldn't be around to bust @NielT or @Riceball's balls, or Tell Solo that his posts are too long. But for someone like the Flash that is a major person in the world that effects a great magnitude of people it is not hard to believe that no Flash around could mess things up in a pretty epic way.

a little ball busting isn't a bad thing ;o)

I might buy that. they DO seem to show that this Flash, just like Justice League Flash from Dini's run, is an endless do gooder. someone who WANTS people to get along no matter what.

But it also means that without Flash, all these Heroes would turn villanous at the flip of a few coins. and that to me makes them more dangerous than their rogues galleries.

I might buy one or two going bad. but all or even 95% of them?

I could kind of buy Superman turning Evil. Maybe Lois and his parents die and he just snaps....in a moment where Flash was supposed to rush in and save them.

Maybe Bruce and his father lives, but his mother dies. When Bruce dies later, Papa wayne flips out and becomes batman to fight crime and bury his remaining grief.

I can see wonder woman never leaving the island. I can see aquaman staying home and not bothering with land.

I can see Cyborg becoming an FBI agent hacker or something...

I can see John being a prisoner of the government and staying that way because there is no team to pick up on his signals.

but the whole mo vie just came off as violence for the sake of shock value violence.

I'm calling it right now. Alchemy ends up giving wally his powers.

SPOILERS

Aye, Wally is going to go try and find him. If he gets the dreams just after finding out about them I'll hate the coincidence.

It makes sense though - even though he doesn't look that young, we have to remember that Jesse and Wally are mid to late teens, and Barry and Iris are mid twenties etc.

Being rash and impulsive is part of their youth. So I can accept it.

That was a good episode overall, with a few weak moments. But I love it when they used the powers not to fight, but to help. And the talk down is excellent. A hopeful and inspiring Flash despite his own doubts, yet he is also stern and authoritative yet caring when it comes to Wally which is also part of his character. Awesome.

I dont mind them visiting the Iris stuff again but it doesnt need much screentime now - just have them in a happy relationship that weathers the storm, dont flip flop anything. She's his lightning rod, keep it that way.

Caitlin's arc was nicely woven in to the show this week too, and she hammered home the truth to Wells. Wells was great again, I swear Tom Cavanagh has some form of metahuman acting gene. I don't think I've ever seen him put a foot wrong on this show.

Cisco didn't get much time this week but I think thats perfect, give people time to get used to this ever so slightly altered Cisco, and he'll be almost identical to ours in no time as he recovers from his loss. If he was all wise cracking this week it wouldn't seem right so Im glad that didnt happen.

I smile a lot and get a lot of emotional stuff out of the Flash, bloody love it. :thumbsup

How would it be a retcon? Have you seen the episode?

Not yet. but it sounds to me like Wally is only getting powers, because he's having dreams about it in the other universe.
and he seeks out this guy to get them

Yet, IIRC from season 2, the accelerator exploded again, he and Jesse got caught in the backlash, and there was hints that the powers may be starting to develop naturally.
Even joe asked 'you don't feel different, do you?'

Also, I can't remember, but did Wally ever find out barry was the flash?
I can't remember this happening, and again, If memory serves, he just sat there at the table as everyone else, including barry, rushed off.

Wells said that even tho he was hit with dark matter that powers don't develop in everyone. And wally looks jealous that Jessie got speed. So he'll "do whatever it takes" to get the speed basically. And I was about 30 minutes into the episode when I posted my thought but it was pretty clear by the end that's where they may go with it.

SPOILERS

Aye, Wally is going to go try and find him. If he gets the dreams just after finding out about them I'll hate the coincidence.

Um, he already mentioned dreaming about having powers to Jessie. That's why he had that reaction to Magenta talking about having dreams prior to going to see Alchemy.

Wells said that even tho he was hit with dark matter that powers don't develop in everyone. And wally looks jealous that Jessie got speed. So he'll "do whatever it takes" to get the speed basically. And I was about 30 minutes into the episode when I posted my thought but it was pretty clear by the end that's where they may go with it.

hmm,

i don't remember that.

It'll be interesting to see where this episod e goes with it.

Um, he already mentioned dreaming about having powers to Jessie. That's why he had that reaction to Magenta talking about having dreams prior to going to see Alchemy.

Good lord did I miss that? At what point has he mentioned the dreams? I thought he had that reaction because he now hears of yet another indicator of powers (dark matter + near death experience or dark matter + dreams + alchemy) etc.

hmm,

i don't remember that.

It'll be interesting to see where this episod e goes with it.

They make a point of it again in this episode - everyone got hit (or a large number of people) in central city by the original particle accelerator explosion - some of them develop abilities, some of them dont, it takes time for some, some it was instant. Wally in a naive manner is completely expecting because of the latest speedforce explosion (not retcon) that he would get powers, and is then shown that Jesse already has them. Yet he doesnt. etc. and thus is Wally's arc this season.

Good lord did I miss that? At what point has he mentioned the dreams? I thought he had that reaction because he now hears of yet another indicator of powers (dark matter + near death experience or dark matter + dreams + alchemy) etc.

If I remember correctly, it was when he was talking to Jessie just before trying to do his best impression of a crash test dummy.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back