Mace Windu is Alive...

But I'm also playing devils advocate here too because Maul is just like Fett and all of the other background characters. He is just a henchman who looks cool, and is actually better because we know so little about him. This is same reason why doing origin stories on existing characters are almost always a let down because it robs our character of mystery which is what makes them so interesting in the first place.

This.

As many others have said before:

1. Fett should have been Clint Eastwood. The man with no name.

2. Han Solo . . . maybe a backstory could work if it's handled just right. But it's a bad risk.

Lol. Don't even get me started on the Han Solo Anthology film and what a turd of an idea that is!

Regarding Maul, the end of Phantom Menace was fairly straightforward about it. Yoda and Mace were talking about having confirmed that the opponent Jinn and Kenobi had faced was a Sith. They also use the word "destroyed". I always felt both of those comments sorta require a body to poke at (never thought it was a bottomless pit -- just deep).

Now, regarding Boba, nothing either way in the film after he goes in (just like nothing of Mace after he goes out the window). No body, no discussion of a body, etc. And the EU almost instantly resurrected him. Marvel did it first (and second) shortly after the film. Dark Horse comics did it. The Bounty Hunter Wars novel trilogy did it. Boba not dying in the sarlacc is a pretty solid element of the larger Star Wars lore, along with Thrawn, Mara Jade, and the existence of Rogue Squadron. That it is included in the new canon thus doesn't bother me a bit.

Meanwhile, for over a decade after Maul died in Phantom Menace, the only source that brought him back was the Infinities alternate-timeline story, not considered part of the EU canon. So him coming back from being pretty definitively dead per the film, and with nothing prior bringing him back, Clone Wars doing so (and badly, IMO -- giving us the cringingly-named Savage Opress and screwing up the Nightsisters along the way) clashed badly with what felt "right".

So, in this context, Mace is somewhere between. Nothing in the film made me feel he was definitively deceased (as said earlier, Anakin fell from much lower down, and had far less experience at Jedi-ing, and was just fine). At the same time, it's only been folks like me who like the character enough from the films and Clone Wars micro- and regular series, from the novels and the comics (love Shatterpoint) that reject his death. Nothing ever showed up to that effect in the EU. So I can see it going either way -- even with Pablo's assertion. Until a movie or episode of Rebels or novel says "Mace is dead", it's only maybe.

--Jonah

Well let's go over the three from most probably to least:

Boba Fett:he crashed into the Sarlacc pit~big deal we have no idea how the thing works plus Boba does wear armor so if he managed to crawl out I'd have no problem believing it.

Mace Windu:so he got fried and his hand got lopped off,I don't know how high up they were but I recall that the buildings there are a mile high but...there's a lot of speeder traffic so if fate was feeling frisky the guy could have wound up in someone's passenger seat,couple that with injures that left him in a coma and with all the chaos and he might get passed over,give him a screaming case of amnesia and he very well could have just wandered off into the sunset until he gets it back and....who knows?

Darth Maul......in the first place he got cut in HALF,I don't care if a lightsaber catheterizes a wound the shock of such a thing alone would probably kill you,now he also fell down an exhaust shaft that's gawd knows how deep,but it ain't bottomless kids,this is on a planet so there has to be a bottom somewheres and I doubt the landing is gonna be pretty so by all rights Maul should be a stain at Naboo's core.

His being alive is right out of The Joker or Lex Luthor or such nonsense so Uncle George went straight loony tunes bringing this cowboy back....

Agreed on everything but the amnesia. I hate that trope. Read Shatterpoint, then tell me whether you can see Mace making his way back to his homeworld to disappear into wounded obscurity while he tries to get his head around what the heck just happened. After the Emperor dies, the shift in the Force makes him start pulling himself together...

I have had in my head for some years now (after Mara died in the novels) Luke's gone into self-imposed exile and long meditation has helped him find some measure of peace. Suddenly, someone comes around the corner and startles him. It's an old Mace with a set of robotic hands (yes, Anakin chopped them both off). He gives Luke a gimlet look and grumbles "So you're finally ready, I see". Luke asks how he found him and Mace says "I had help" and the apparitions of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin fade in. Slow pullback and the music swells as Luke's schooling really begins...

*shrug* Fan daydreams. ;)

--Jonah

This.

Boba Fett:he crashed into the Sarlacc pit~big deal we have no idea how the thing works plus Boba does wear armor so if he managed to crawl out I'd have no problem believing it.

Slow pullback and the music swells as Luke's schooling really begins...

Well the Man with No Name was a badass who had numerous stories that followed his exploits...

Fett being alive, sure. The Sarlacc pit has numerous chambers were a body digests. I believe there is a artbook that shows the expansive roots of it, and it seems totally escapable, it's a over glorified venus flytrap...

Unless you add the CGI tentacles...OMG no escape if you CGI in tentacles and a chompy muppet mouth...:rolleyes

Sorry Inquisitor, I just can't buy Mace being the ultimate trainer. Also, NO HANDS=NO FORCE PUSH...:lol

This.

Well the Man with No Name was a badass who had numerous stories that followed his exploits...

Fett being alive, sure. The Sarlacc pit has numerous chambers were a body digests. I believe there is a artbook that shows the expansive roots of it, and it seems totally escapable, it's a over glorified venus flytrap...

Unless you add the CGI tentacles...OMG no escape if you CGI in tentacles and a chompy muppet mouth...:rolleyes

Sorry Inquisitor, I just can't buy Mace being the ultimate trainer. Also, NO HANDS=NO FORCE PUSH...:lol
Maybe he can learn to force push with his feet. Haha, I would like to see that.

image.jpeg

True, but not much really. A few plates in the front, one in the back, knee and shoulder plates, and a helmet and that's it. I'd call him barely armored and not enough armor to really protect him when inside the guts of the Sarlaac, not unless the jumpsuit he wears is super acid resistant or something since his "armor" is mostly jumpsuit. A stormtrooper I could see surviving because of his armor but not Boba Fett.

True, but not much really. A few plates in the front, one in the back, knee and shoulder plates, and a helmet and that's it. I'd call him barely armored and not enough armor to really protect him when inside the guts of the Sarlaac, not unless the jumpsuit he wears is super acid resistant or something since his "armor" is mostly jumpsuit. A stormtrooper I could see surviving because of his armor but not Boba Fett.

We-don't-know-how-it-works can you read? it's not like a vat of Hydrochloric acid,it may well take awhile to digest you and I doubt it'd do well against a pissed off,over prepared bounty hunter who's got gawd knows what stuffed in his pockets.

Fett is,and always will be,the one guy in SW who could be found to have survived and I'd have no problems with it,Mace could have....kinda....maybe....but why? is my question.

However like I said Lucas kinda ruined Fett like he did Vader with his namby-pamby story and how he likes to make characters with "soul" um....no,just no you ninny Vader and Fett should be two people who aren't that way,maybe not evil but they have their own way and it's not nice.

We-don't-know-how-it-works can you read? it's not like a vat of Hydrochloric acid,it may well take awhile to digest you and I doubt it'd do well against a pissed off,over prepared bounty hunter who's got gawd knows what stuffed in his pockets.

Oh, I understand that, no need to be condescending. I'm just saying that Fett's armor, what little there is of it, would have played little to no role in his survival. It covers maybe 25% - 30% of his body with many parts of his body completely unarmored, he doesn't wear near enough armor for it to make one bit of difference in his survival. Gizmos and gadgets, sure, his armor, no.

Mace Windu:so he got fried and his hand got lopped off,I don't know how high up they were but I recall that the buildings there are a mile high but...there's a lot of speeder traffic so if fate was feeling frisky the guy could have wound up in someone's passenger seat,couple that with injures that left him in a coma and with all the chaos and he might get passed over,give him a screaming case of amnesia and he very well could have just wandered off into the sunset until he gets it back and....who knows?

Darth Maul......in the first place he got cut in HALF,I don't care if a lightsaber catheterizes a wound the shock of such a thing alone would probably kill you,now he also fell down an exhaust shaft that's gawd knows how deep,but it ain't bottomless kids,this is on a planet so there has to be a bottom somewheres and I doubt the landing is gonna be pretty so by all rights Maul should be a stain at Naboo's core.

His being alive is right out of The Joker or Lex Luthor or such nonsense so Uncle George went straight loony tunes bringing this cowboy back....

Talk about adding insult to injury. I think i'd rather be chopped in half (cauterized or not) than get a light saber catheter :)

@cboath:auto correct,she is a...female canine.
@Riceball:no hard feelings just the idea is so simple I don't get why so many find it hard to believe,Fett crawling out of the pit is something that could happen very easy and I doubt any would bat an eye,that's the character as has been said the man with no name,tough,hard to kill.

But with the amount of people cheering the new ghostbusters....I can see how reality or a concept that's as factual as 2+2=4 can be hard to swallow,and that's not an insult just a comment on how society is now.

Also here's a thought-why would he hang around? Jabba's dead,most of his gang is too so....may as well go look for something else to do,I never bought or liked the idea he had any grudge with Han,I think it's better if he's just a guy who sees enough profit to raise his interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know that Mace would. Back in the day, we took it as read that was just something that happened to Jedi when they died. But from Qui-Gon's funeral pyre on, it became something known only to a few. Qui-Gon told Yoda, and taught him and Obi-Wan during their respective exiles. Anakin presumably picked up the know-how from his and Palpatine's researches into how to cheat death -- rather too late for Anakin's initial motivation for going Dark Side, as his mom and wife were already dead...

--Jonah

The "force ghost" as depicted by Obi Wan in ESB feels just about right - a transient apparition that could be perceived as a hallucination.

But then ROTJ completely jumped the shark with ghost Obi wan having prolonged discourse with the living and even being able to sit on a corporeal log. It completely undermines the value of his sacrifice in ANH - that death merely grants a Jedi omniscience and the ability to teleport. A "force ghost" shouldn't be an actual character. In ROTJ you've got ghosts galore in wide shots, two shots and even closeups - and it all looks ridiculous.

Well, that's because originally it was part of a planned progression. Disembodied voice to distant hazy apparition to clear and close and more dynamic apparition to spirit being who can interact with the physical world to... Well, in the final battle, Obi-Wan was going to step bac across the veil to corporeal form to help Luke defeat Vader and the Emperor. During story sessions, though, Lucas decided it would undermine Luke and his journey too much to bail him out like that. Too deus ex machina.

I never liked how the EU writers didn't know what to do with the Force ghosts, so they just wrote them out. I'm hoping they're actually involved in the new films. In my headcanon, sometime not too long after ROTJ, when things have quieted down a little and Luke can stop to meditate, Obi-Wan shows up and makes the final transition to physicality... and looks down in some surprise to see himself all Ewan MacGregor-young again. *chuckle* Now, 'that's what I call "more powerful than you can possibly imagine"...

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back