Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Have you tried the 3M green automotive masking tape? I hate "painter's tapes" because they're usually designed with latex paint in mind and tend to gooify easily. Went through several nightmares with that until I started working at a body shop and I was like "Ah haa..."

-Rog

Have you tried the 3M green automotive masking tape? I hate "painter's tapes" because they're usually designed with latex paint in mind and tend to gooify easily. Went through several nightmares with that until I started working at a body shop and I was like "Ah haa..."

-Rog

I think that's what I have, but I'll check tonight. I know it's green and made for fresh paint jobs. It has a 14 day no peel garauntee on it. It didn't pull the paint surface up, it just left sticky residue. I'll let the paint cure a few days then hit it with a soft cloth and metho.

Hey there , looking great so far. Are you planning on using a clear coat? If you are I recommend spraymax 2k its in a can and its really goos stuff, nice high gloss finish that protects well

Here's a link to the exact one:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03431-Automotive-Performance-Masking/dp/B004MEH78S

It could very well be called different things in different countries, so that's only what I know it as in the U.S.

The nicest thing about it is that if your forget about it for awhile it still peels up cleanly, unlike the blue stuff that just immediately is a disaster if you leave it more than a few days.

-Rog

Thanks man. Yeah, pretty much the same thing. I'll have a look at our local super cheap auto and see what they've got next time.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there , looking great so far. Are you planning on using a clear coat? If you are I recommend spraymax 2k its in a can and its really goos stuff, nice high gloss finish that protects well

I can't use a clear coat on the gold. Clear destroys metallic paint.

I might try it on a trail piece of the red though.

Cheers.

SB

It's a pain in the butt trying to get some shed time these days! Seems between ten and midnight a couple of times a week is about all I get anymore!

0NorzKm.jpg

RUo0mHP.jpg

CUoUIv6.jpg

Hey bud,

On the painter's tape, you may not be experiencing tape residue! A lot of paints have solvent in the adhesive, which is fine for latex and urethane paint, but not for lacquer or enamel! Tamiya makes tape with no solvents that is low tack, its also crazy expensive...but it does work well!

Hey bud,

On the painter's tape, you may not be experiencing tape residue! A lot of paints have solvent in the adhesive, which is fine for latex and urethane paint, but not for lacquer or enamel! Tamiya makes tape with no solvents that is low tack, its also crazy expensive...but it does work well!

Thanks mate. I'm onto it. :)

Spinal plates.

0ON4XhT.jpg

Final panel beating, fill and detailing of the back before painting.

CuTZR6e.jpg

To all my painter friends. I am using Duplicolor metalcast for iron man. It is the perfect colour and finish and the one I want to use.

I'm looking for a compatible clear coat to go hard on the outside and protect it. Anyone had any experience with the can on the right?

I just sprayed it over a test piece of the red metalcast and the clear completely melted the colour away, even though the red had cured for over 24 hours.

I'm getting a little sick of spending money on **** that doesn't work. The guy at supercheap auto said it was made for it and would work fine.

hNQ8tSA.jpg

CsKeJJe.jpg

It's amazing how much bogging and sanding you can do thinking it's super-smooth. Then you hit it with a shiny paint and all the lumps and bumps show up.

There comes a point where you say, "Stuff it, there's only so much time taken from my family I can justify, and I've already pushed it too far." Next goes the red.

hwqQatk.jpg

Duplicolor makes a clear for its paint. I've had trouble with the solvents attacking the base color. Very light thin coats of clear seemed to be the answer for me. A lot more time spraying parts but fewer sand and resprays. Good luck and still digging your build. A true artist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have experience with that clear coat in particular but on the can of the metalcast I believe it says to recoat within an hour or after 7 days. With non catalyzed paints there are trapped solvents under the hardened top coat that take time to evaporate out of the tiny pores in the paint. I thought I could get away with spraying clear over my Captain America shield a couple days later and the clear wrinkled all the translucent blue and red to the point where I had to strip it and reshoot it. My recommendation is don't clear coat it. My captain shield has held up fantastic at events and even blocked a couple thrown cans of silly string without damaging the color. Something that is going to scratch the red is probably going to make it through a rattle can clear just the same as it usually doesn't provide a lot of build.

I just sprayed it over a test piece of the red metalcast and the clear completely melted the colour away, even though the red had cured for over 24 hours.

Ouch, same thing happened to me a few days ago when I wanted to add a clearcoat to a painted belt buckle... Fortunately it was just a 3D print and I had made two (just in case) and only clearcoated one. I checked the can after I noticed it was all melting away and the clearcoat contained xylene.

If it's any consolation, I went to some Harrison Krix presentations at Wizard World and apparently this kind of stuff happens even to the pros.

First this is looking even better painted. I thought I'd prefer the raw metal and it would be a shame to see it covered up but I retract my previous sentiment.

Second, I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs into paint interaction issues. I've kinda gotten to the point where I just use nothing but acrylics so I don't have to even worry about it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back