Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Thanks HAJ, it was just a guess in any case. However, you're posted pic here definitely answers that question. I will say though, throughout my recent builds, I've been using Citadel Corax White (with a grayish hue) for space vehicles and it's done well. Good spray tips and even, constant pressure right down to empty. My local hobby shop guy turned me on to it. like air brushing and when applied correctly, it nearly dries on contact, smooth and even. it is 17 bucks a can but works great and one can goes a long way. Also the Chaos Black I've been using for primer coat, same performance. now for details and such, I break out the air brush and have been using Model Master acrylics. Clean up is way easy, however being acrylic is does dry up gobs in the air brush tip quicker than enamels, but I'm used to it at this point. I have yet to venture into the more high end paints that others have mentioned.
They definitely used automotive sprayers and air brushes, but it's certainly possible they used a rattle cans as well. You can see the automotive sprayer and compressor hose in this picture of the Falcon in the original ILM (Van Nuys location) paint booth.
View attachment 821338

No argument here, Lab, and the rest of you guys have done incredible work :thumbsup I will say, those little testors rattle cans should be avoided if at all possible...you get what you pay for :lol
No doubt rattle cans can do the job. Lab's build is absolute proof of that.

Thanks again for your comments.
About the rattle cans.
I would have used my airbrush if I had enough liberty with my time. I went with rattle cans because I had to paint in very short sessions, continuously interrupted by phone calls.

And it's research I'm am shamelessly stealing and adding to mine!

Thanks for mentioning. It is ofcourse a great pleasure, if you find anything useful.
I am quite sure that Bandai's researchers must have taken in many info from the studio scale modeller's forums, which in turn we all are benefitted through this kit.

Thanks again for your comments.
About the rattle cans.
I would have used my airbrush if I had enough liberty with my time. I went with rattle cans because I had to paint in very short sessions, continuously interrupted by phone calls.

Thanks for mentioning. It is ofcourse a great pleasure, if you find anything useful.
I am quite sure that Bandai's researchers must have taken in many info from the studio scale modeller's forums, which in turn we all are benefitted through this kit.

That's quite understandable... Interruptions are not good when airbrushing... I once left paint in my airbrush over night... ugh, that was a pain to clean and get back to proper working order. A good airbrushing session needs to be timed out just right, with no interference.

Again, props on the paint job! A true testament to the OG...

Well, others can shun me for it, but I for one intend to do just that. Every Falcon I've built so far...5 I think, have all been ESB. I prefer the extra landing gear appearance. I'm just waiting for Tony 308 Bits on Shapeways to finish his design for them. The MPC one's are really close. I have a set and sized them up to the Bandai hull. I was going to use them, then I thought to just ask Tony to work some up. He's in the process. That's what I'm waiting for before I start mine. I'm actually surprised that Bandai didn't offer the optional parts with the kit. Oh well...
Would it be heresy to make this with the ESB landing/running lights on the bottom hull?

Asking for a friend.

SB

I was of the same mind, but once I started my PG Bandai Falcon, I quickly found the Tamiya Rattle can to do the job best for the base coat.

Used airbrush for the rest.
It's absolutely impressive that rattle cans were used. That being said, I will never use anything but an airbrush again. The control and ease of use is just too nice to give up. I will say that having to clean the airbrush is a pain in the butt. That's the only issue I have with mine. I think I need to get some more...lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Tamiya rattle cans are fantastic for base coats, especially if you need to cover a large area. Obviously, you can't do the sorts of shading effects, misting, etc... that you can with an airbrush, but for even coverage they're really hard to beat for both convenience and performance. I just finished a Slave-1 using all Tamiya rattle cans.

I could be terribly wrong about this, and apologize in advance if I am...but I would venture that the original model makers back in the day might have also used rattle cans. just a theory. however, that statement in NO way is meant to detract from Lab's awesome results. I've seen some real genius done with rattle can. :thumbsup

I'm sure they used rattle cans sometimes for base coats and primers. The shots of Joe Johnston that I've seen have him wielding an airbrush. I think a rattle can might be easier for larger models like the 5 foot Falcon than a 1:72 PG Falcon.

I'm not opposed to rattle cans per se - just that I find it's way harder to get precise detail control with them.

early-falcon.jpg 014-M3OwqTV.jpg

(not sure who the second guy is)

Last edited:

I agree, primers and base coats with good quality stuff...but Testors mini cans? :sick Though the Tamiya stuff isn't terrible
I'm sure they used rattle cans sometimes for base coats and primers. The shots of Joe Johnston that I've seen have him wielding an airbrush. I think a rattle can might be easier for larger models like the 5 foot Falcon than a 1:72 PG Falcon.

I'm not opposed to rattle cans per se - just that I find it's way harder to get precise detail control with them.

Well, others can shun me for it, but I for one intend to do just that. Every Falcon I've built so far...5 I think, have all been ESB. I prefer the extra landing gear appearance. I'm just waiting for Tony 308 Bits on Shapeways to finish his design for them. The MPC one's are really close. I have a set and sized them up to the Bandai hull. I was going to use them, then I thought to just ask Tony to work some up. He's in the process. That's what I'm waiting for before I start mine. I'm actually surprised that Bandai didn't offer the optional parts with the kit. Oh well...
agreed...I like the five gear version better myself..& I also wonder why bandai didn't include optional parts. I think I read somewhere when the kit was under development that was going to include that option? .. anyway 1. I'm going to wait for the shapeways parts ( what seems to be taking a long time) before I build mine ...2 .wait for bandai to release an ESB/ RTOJ version

agreed...I like the five gear version better myself..& I also wonder why bandai didn't include optional parts. I think I read somewhere when the kit was under development that was going to include that option? .. anyway 1. I'm going to wait for the shapeways parts ( what seems to be taking a long time) before I build mine ...2 .wait for bandai to release an ESB/ RTOJ version

Yes indeed......first page of this thread

Ckeagy_UUAAoNkG_zpsbz4lwv30.jpg

J

I say give it time and Bandai will probably come out with the 5 gear version. I'll be tempted to get that one too!

First I want to see a BIG Star Destroyer model and Tantive IV from them :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back