Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Quite frankly, i think a decent portion (or more accurately, the lack of) of the BO for solo is attributable to TLJ.

Face it, Solo is something that will sell most to the original fans and fans of the OT. Not the prequel crew, and not much of the ST crew. TLJ was not a positive in it's treatment of the OT quite frankly. Now, not every one feels that way, but even those that don't admit there is a large audience that does. So, TLJ gives that group a big sucker punch (metaphorically) and then an OT based flick is up 5.5 months later. It does kill the desire to see it. I've seen ever SW flick in theaters day 1, since ROTJ. Possibly ESB. Waited until Monday to see Solo because i didn't have faith in it and my desire took a big hit after TLJ. I went Monday because of good word of mouth here (based on the poll) and from a friend who saw it. Gotta say i liked it. Doesn't restore my faith in the ST or what they've done to the OT characters, but it was fun nonetheless.

I read an article a couple days ago saying the same thing and citing SW fatigue. I don't think its' fatigue, i think it's a movie a ton of people were looking forward to that let a lot of them down.

I really enjoyed Solo and I've seen it twice. That's going to be it for me though because that punched in the stomach feeling keeps comming back. With the whole crapping on TFA story, killing the past, gender wars etc., it has just got me so disgusted with Lucasfilm. Solo is a movie that I would have gone and seen at least 6 times but I'm done at 2. Now I'm just like 'FU Lucasfilm.'

Stop making stuff up out of whole cloth. I don't recall any member ever saying they want the whole shebang shut down. We want Star Wars! But we want GOOD Star Wars! Not the crap Disney is peddling.

The Wook

Its hilarious how a very few`s only way of defending the stuff they are so in love with is by attacking those who dont swallow it and try and use the OT against them. For all the negative stuff voiced about the new stuff, never seen anything posted trying to group those in favor of it in any class or group.

For those of you that loved this film...why? What was it about the film that made you say that it is a good Han Solo Star Wars film? I've said it multiple times now in this thread, and I'll say it again. If this was a generic sci-fi film without Star Wars being attached I bet it would score 4.5/10 at best, at that is being generous.

For a film with Han Solo in the title, they sure did a half ass job of establishing the character.

* Grew up on the streets, stealing and conning to make a living, yet throughout the film is surprisingly happy go lucky. I mean damn, is he a happy chap for having such a ****** life.
* Why/how did the man get his blood stripes?
* We are supposed to be sold on Han being a good pilot, yet we open with him crashing the speeder he stole, even if you say this plays on the characters cockiness, what did the film establish to back up why Solo is so self assured?
* How is it that both Han and Lando always have the killer hand on Sabbac? I get Lando cheating, but come on...Han is one hell of a player. Just how did he get that skill?
* It was completely out of character for the Han we get to know in this film to shoot first. That was nothing but fan service.

This gripe goes to the Producers:

* The Kessel run...what a HUGE wasted opportunity to set up a high stakes, no holds barred race, or smugglers run with ships competing against each other, smashing into each other, any amount of more meaningful more things they could have added to at least make Han actually have a reason to boast other than adding a drop of liquid Schwartz to escape a black hole.

Darth Maul.png
Rare colorized version of Han and Chewie in the shower
Solo a Star Wars Story 2018.png
She watched Solo:
She Watched Solo.png

* Grew up on the streets, stealing and conning to make a living, yet throughout the film is surprisingly happy go lucky. I mean damn, is he a happy chap for having such a ****** life.
* We are supposed to be sold on Han being a good pilot, yet we open with him crashing the speeder he stole, even if you say this plays on the characters cockiness, what did the film establish to back up why Solo is so self assured?
* How is it that both Han and Lando always have the killer hand on Sabbac? I get Lando cheating, but come on...Han is one hell of a player. Just how did he get that skill?
* It was completely out of character for the Han we get to know in this film to shoot first. That was nothing but fan service.
* The Kessel run...what a HUGE wasted opportunity to set up a high stakes, no holds barred race, or smugglers run with ships competing against each other, smashing into each other, any amount of more meaningful more things they could have added to at least make Han actually have a reason to boast other than adding a drop of liquid Schwartz to escape a black hole.

I'll take a crack at your challenge questions.
1. Happy go lucky? No he presented as a young man whose assuredness and cockiness are a venner to hide deep insecurities.
2. News flash, no one but a pedantic EU reader even knows what that is.
3. In the film he mentions his father was a pilot, although estranged from his life. He also does mention he did attend the Imperial Flight Academy before being tossed out into the infantry.
4. He was lying to Lando, clearly Han had been playing Sabac on Corellia for a long time.
5. Beckett told him numerous times during the film to trust no one. This was his pay back for that advice.
6. Now i have to pose you a question. Why did the Kessel Run have to be a race other then the EU treatment of it? Isn't it reasonable it was a smuggling route designed to avoid the Empire or to previous steal the fuel source?

You were one of 8 people out of 186 who thought this film was bad.

I'll take a crack at your challenge questions.
1. Happy go lucky? No he presented as a young man whose assuredness and cockiness are a venner to hide deep insecurities. (Okay, believable.
2. News flash, no one but a pedantic EU reader even knows what that is. Fair enough
3. In the film he mentions his father was a pilot, although estranged from his life. He also does mention he did attend the Imperial Flight Academy before being tossed out into the infantry.Missed opportunity, and lazy writing. They could have shown something better, ala Anakin in TPM. You can easily see how this kid got a rep for being a damn good pilot...not flying a ship in a straight line when the four armed pilot just drops a good pilot line....pathetic.
4. He was lying to Lando, clearly Han had been playing Sabac on Corellia for a long time. Again, it would have been nice if they established that Han was a card shark prior to his amazing hands.
5. Beckett told him numerous times during the film to trust no one. This was his pay back for that advice. Be that as it may, it still did not fit with the character we got to know on the screen in this film. So edgy.
6. Now i have to pose you a question. Why did the Kessel Run have to be a race other then the EU treatment of it? Isn't it reasonable it was a smuggling route designed to avoid the Empire or to previous steal the fuel source?It didn't, but it sure would have been more interesting...at least for me.

True, but then again...it is only a poll on a very small forum, and I know of multiple areas where that number is considerably reversed. At the end of the day, it's my opinion, and your argument does not invalidate my criticisms

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but then again...it is only a poll on a very small forum, and I know of multiple areas where that number is considerably reversed. At the end of the day, it's my opinion, and your argument does not invalidate my criticisms

For sure. :)

Regarding #3, there is a deleted scene of Han at Imperial flight school probably rocking it that will appear on the home release.

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure. :)

Regarding #3, there is a deleted scene of Han at Imperial flight school probably rocking it that will appear on the home release.

Serious question, would you feel the same way about this film if Star Wars was not associated with it in any way? I think it plays more like an episode of Star Trek TNG. or even Firefly.

@MooCricket Question #4 brings up a thought in my head regarding the director change. Yes they could have shown a young Han on Corellia cheating in a game of Sabac or something to show he is competent at it. But the scenes on Corellia and Mimban I think are stuff Lord and Miller shot. In editing those sequences seem to be a bit disjointed and rushed. I think a lot was cut from those scenes, not Han playing cards per set but the flight academy stuff, because they likely had the "tone" the Kasdan's didn't like and so it was chopped down to make room for the other 2/3 of the film that scream Ron Howard and are very well done, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Serious question, would you feel the same way about this film if Star Wars was not associated with it in any way? I think it plays more like an episode of Star Trek TNG. or even Firefly.

I see the Firefly analogy and I think that's an apt and welcome comparison, I love that show. But yes, this really felt like Star Wars to me with a Firefly wrapper.

I think I would have liked it better without the SW attachment. It's a decent, fun adventure that feels like a lot of 80's era films. I would expect and prefer more from SW but what is there isn't bad in any way. Same with R1, though I got more of a SW vibe there. I feel the anthology "Star Wars Story" films should have more leeway than the saga episodes, but even without that leeway they've been better than the sequels.

re: Blood stripes, like Bryan says. I've heard them mentioned but I have no idea what it is. Han wears military style trousers with stripes, that's all they are and all they were ever meant to be. I never followed the EU and I don't care what was established there. All that matters to me are the films.

I don’t know quite how to feel about the celebratory bonfires I see on YouTube. Negative fan-bashing has become a cottage industry in and of itself; much of it simply clickbait, in my opinion. It says a lot morn about “us” that we gravitate to gratituitous bashing complete with supposition and innuendo regarding the makers of these films. One thing that the OT was not up against was a cottage industry seemingly rooting for failure. Could you imagine ROTJ being released now? Ewoks?? Leia is Luke’s SISTER?? When did “Star Wars” decide it was condoning incest?? How much of this cottage industry of negativity is impacting our perceptions about the films and the film makers?

Have there been missteps? Maybe. The thing about art is that it’s defined by the beholder and is a subjective experience.

Could I make a better batch of movies? Absolutely not. Frankly, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. 99% of fans, if given a larger budget, still would likely set many of their films in a forest with extended Lightsaber battles that would give the length of time of the ROTS Lightsaber battle a run for it’s money (based in the number of fan films taking place in a forest with extensive Lightsaber battles). In that way, I’m just a popcorn muncher that hopes for the best. That attitude really should be the majority, shouldn’t it? Instead, that almost appears to be a shrinking minority with many audience members seemingly rooting for failure and disappointment.

Last edited:
I’m finally going in to see Solo.... As for SW fans I’m one but just want to enjoy the movie... I bet if most haters admitted this they just jumped on the band wagon and haven’t been around like others to have seen all the SW movies at there original release dates from the 70s til now ... we’ll I have and yes some are better than others but don’t be a Hollywood movie critic.... just enjoy that they are still making them not stating than do to poor returns we’re stopping making them, then we’ll be left watching junk like Saw, Insidious, etc.... Thanks Disney Tganks Marvel you make life interesting

Can the people here who want to endlessly repeat the same ****ing arguments about TLJ go do it in The Last Jedi thread. I mean take your pick:
The post TLJ thread is a mere 183 pages long, the last 4000 posts of which are nearly completely filled with the same people making the same observations as if they are stuck in a time loop that just keeps repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating ............ gets boring doesn't it, like reading your comments.
OR
The pre TLJ thread at ONLY 266 pages in which we speculate over how good / bad its going to be then cheer/weep over the result, before going over to the post release thread to do the same thing there.

This is the SOLO thread. A film that MOST of us (about 80%) who actually paid to go see it thought,admittedly against the odds, it was actually a great or quite good SW movie ,and definitely WORTH seeing.
So if you haven't seen it ,then push off into some other thread until you can risk spending £8 or $10 to praise/ validate your criticism of SOLO.

Here`s the thing, whether you like it or not the film that cant be named played an extremely major role in the situation of where the Solo box office is today. When statements are made that disregard that fact for whatever that reason is, they have every right to be challenged. Its all part of the overall Solo discussion and that`s just reality.

It takes a hell of a lot less time to use your scroll wheel than to make some kind of hollow stand and complain about it. Telling people to eat their shorts or call them idiots, not you btw, is far more annoying to those people that they are directed to, yet those people seem to be capable of not getting to fussed over it.

I liked it a lot. Going to just spit-ball some reactions here.
There were a great many nods to the old EU, some more obvious than others, and I really liked how similar the Maw/Maelstrom ended up being portrayed. No, it wasn't exactly the same, but clearly someone had done some reading.
Glover nailed it as Lando. That guy can do anything.
Alden was completely inoffensive, good even.
Joonas is doing a fantastic job as Chewie. I hope this guy sticks around forever.
The plot was predictable, but in a way that fed off the other Star Wars movies rather than feeling like some weird rehash to me.
Powell did very well with the score, though I'm partial to the original music by Williams. The rearrangement of the Tie Fighter Attack and Asteroid Field themes was pretty balls-out amazing for me.
L3 was a ton of fun. I want a prequel where she and K2 go on an adventure.
A few shots looked like they had been filmed in '77. Not a ton, but there were a couple times where the look was a tad grimy and the framing was just right. I don't know if it was intentional, but I dug it.
There are still Rodians. I appreciate the classic aliens showing up.
There's a bust (half statue?) of a Mandalorian in Dryden Vos's apartment/lounge whatever.
I had been spoiled on Maul already, but still found that to be a pretty cool thing. I love that they don't separate the cartoon universe from the movies.
Also, it was an off-handed line from Lando to Beckett, but apparently Beckett killed Aura Sing by pushing her off something? Friggin wow.

Ok, I'm done for now. Will see again. Can't wait for the 4k disc.

I love this statement. It’s not the first time someone has mentioned the poll to try and justify there opinion, or to discount someone elses. Do you really feel that the 150 or so people who liked it, on a forum of 100,000 plus members, validates the movie as good? I didn’t like the movie, and if those numbers were flipped, I’m smart enough to know that wouldn’t be an indication the movie was bad. That poll is absolutely meaningless at that sample size. I realize not all members here are SW fans and not all will see it none the less vote, but lets not jump to conclusions just yet on what that poll implies.

After seeing Solo and the Kessel thing I wonder how Rey even knew this info about the falcon so many years later as if it was such an amazing feat that the universe knew about this as famously as the legend of Luke Skywalker.

By contrast I don't see what they did in the film to have been so noteworthy that the speed at which the falcon navigated through the space winds was noticed by so many, and so much that the story would be one day told to Rey. I guess Han bragged to a lot of people about it....

I always thought the Kessel run was some intergalactically famous race of sorts that the falcon held some record in, but I was very wrong about that.

And on that note, also why I would have been good with not knowing that full story and retained only what Han touted about at the Mos Eisley cantina.

I love this statement. It’s not the first time someone has mentioned the poll to try and justify there opinion, or to discount someone elses. Do you really feel that the 150 or so people who liked it, on a forum of 100,000 plus members, validates the movie as good? I didn’t like the movie, and if those numbers were flipped, I’m smart enough to know that wouldn’t be an indication the movie was bad. That poll is absolutely meaningless at that sample size. I realize not all members here are SW fans and not all will see it none the less vote, but lets not jump to conclusions just yet on what that poll implies.

Any poll is a sample and they are used as a representation of what a bigger - equal - ratio is more than likely to represent so, to say that this poll is meaningless is a little odd - given that polling is used every day, all over the world.

That said, while others (me included) would disagree, your opinion regarding the fact that movie didn't work fo you is more than fair.

Best
MARK

For those of you that loved this film...why? What was it about the film that made you say that it is a good Han Solo Star Wars film? I've said it multiple times now in this thread, and I'll say it again. If this was a generic sci-fi film without Star Wars being attached I bet it would score 4.5/10 at best, at that is being generous.

For a film with Han Solo in the title, they sure did a half ass job of establishing the character.

This gripe goes to the Producers:

You really wanted to know about the ****ing stripes on his pants? That's the kind of wanky EU minutia that makes me cringe so hard I almost turn inside out.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back