Steve Rogers as... The Captain! (Similar to U.S. Agent's costume)

andrewrgross

I'm going to cosplay as Steve Rogers as he appears in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War. I'm not excited by the costume in the trailers, though. In the comics, when Steve Rogers became disillusioned working for the US (in 1988), he renounced his identity as Captain America and adopted the identity of The Captain, and he adopted a black costume which was later appropriated by U.S. Agent. This is the costume that I'm making.

Steven_Rogers_(Earth-616)_from_Captain_America_Vol_1_345_0001.jpgcaptain-america-1987-the-captain-photo-u1.jpeg

It's based on his classic costume, so obviously it's cheesy as hell. I'm going to try to update it by styling it like a leather jacket. I'm using the Winter Soldier costume from the film as inspiration, although the bars will be fixed to a zip-up panel instead of buttons, they'll form a trapezoid instead of being even horizontally.

Winter Soldier Bucky Barnes Leather jacket costume-800x800 (1).jpg

After that, I'm going to throw in black pants and a brown leather shield harness. We'll see how it comes out!

Tips welcome. This is definitely the most ambitious costume I've attempted.

Sounds like it's going to be a rad costume. I think that the red and white will look great against the black outfit. If you are planning to weather the hell out of it then I'd say to roughly (crudely) paint the red and white stripes on the jacket panels.
Keep up the good work my friend.

@Ciszlak: I'm still new to weathering. I was going to rub Kiwi liquid shoe polish on and then wipe it off. What kind of paint would you suggest?
PunisherNC: That IS perfect. Did you make that? What's it made of?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ciszlak: I'm still new to weathering. I was going to rub Kiwi liquid shoe polish on and then wipe it off. What kind of paint would you suggest?
@PunisherNC: That IS perfect. Did you make that? What's it made of?

I didn't make it, came from another maker. Not completely sure of the material but feels like a ticker, more durable plastic material. Chin cup is resin, strapping is a combo of nylon weave and foam. I dont really need to so was looking to part with it if interested. Goggles are actual goggles.

I've attached all the major pieces to make a jacket. Now I need to hem all the edges, add the collar, add the front panel of stripes, and sew on the zipper.

IMG_20180408_221555307.jpgIMG_20180408_221615364.jpgIMG_20180408_221608959.jpgIMG_20180408_221620713.jpg

I've also been working on the stripes. My plan has been to make them separately and then glue them to the front with Barge cement. I did a test piece to check how the Barge bonded them, and how flexible it was (this is my first time using Barge cement).

I noticed once I tried the jacket on that the front is quite flat. Most good superhero costumes seem to accentuate the division between the pectorals and the abs. I think I can add a bit of suggestion by narrowing the lower half of the bars a bit relative to the bars over the upper chest. If I can get all this done this week, I can move on to the harness.

It's stretchy textured elastic I saw at JoAnn fabrics. I figured it'd help hide my crimes if I had a bit of the jacket stretch, and I think it worked.

With 12 days to go, I'm about 75% done.

Since my last post, most of the work has been attaching the lining to the shell of the jacket and hemming, hemming, hemming. Again, I'm what you call 'self-taught', so there are some ugly parts, but most of them seem hidden okay. The collar was a ton of work, but it seems to have come out alright.

IMG_20180415_182633663.jpg (My brother, modeling it)

The point is that I've got a jacket that I can pull on and off. It's a little tight because I didn't enlarge sufficiently for movement, but oh well. I've completed the field of bars, but I'm going to add that last, after I add the zipper. I bought one, but realized it's the wrong kind so I need to get a new one.

IMG_20180412_081509016.jpg

I made a very basic shield harness. I need to print a back plate for it, but otherwise that's done.

IMG_20180415_212423397.jpgIMG_20180415_212429550.jpgIMG_20180415_212946457.jpg

By the standards of this forum, it's not incredible, but I'm really, really proud, and I think it'll be functional enough to wear as a day-to-day jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_212419246.jpg
    IMG_20180415_212419246.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 274
With five days left, my jacket is about 90% done. I continued to adjust, clip, stitch, and check. The hems are all done, and the front panel is attached.

Began preparing a shield harness and a belt. The faux leather for the harness and belt is darker brown than I intended, but it's fine. Below is my brother modeling it. It's close it its final state. Tips are welcome.

IMG_20180422_201039878.jpgIMG_20180422_201036811.jpgIMG_20180422_201029458.jpg

I'm pleased with the harness backplate. I modeled it in Fusion 360 based on an image from google photos and then 3D printed it and painted it with hammered steel spray paint.

IMG_20180422_220855002.jpg

I'm thrilled with how the costume came out, especially alongside friends dressed as the rest of the Avengers.

9JJdDP9.jpg

I really like how it came together. I'm looking forward to wearing the jacket without the props as a normal jacket.
u5LyNa4.jpg

Before movie, Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Tom Holland took the stage to thank the fans.
bdDJlv6.jpg

I walked out while they were leaving and thanked Tom Holland. He autographed my shield. This is a super cheap plastic shield that I spray painted the back of with hammered steel spray paint, since originally it was unpainted red plastic. I love the way the silver sharpie looks on the hammered steel.
oDwyK3W.jpg

The Arclight in Hollywood displays costumes in the lobby. Deadpool and company's outfits look as great up close as you'd think.
YuJ9uz0.jpg

Hitting the town
p0BllZg.jpg

My brother (above as Thor), husband, and I collaborated on this Iron Man costume. We tried to match the cheesy classic Iron Man to go with my '80s Steve Rogers. This was our first experience making EVA foam armor, and I'm thrilled with the result, especially for a first attempt.

Props to Dr. Strange, who made her own tunic, belt, and wrist wraps, as well as an Eye of Agamoto out of sculpy.
oypJYv0.jpg

KOza0el.jpg

Steve and Tony finally working things out
qaRHMc3.jpg

I really didn't know what I was doing when I started this, and I can't believe this worked out as well as it did.
IMG_20180428_122258161.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back