Ahsoka customs lightsabers in the graflex style

thanks again for your help Ridire Firean :thumbsup

quick picture of the beer tab installed, seems easy but took me some time in between two sanding sessions on my Obi armour. aligning the holes on a cylinder is not easy with my tools, finding a screw the right size, a washer, enlarging the hole on the beer tab and on the washer (fun!). So, yeah, it's a screw for now, but it's very flat and is the right size, another vintage part out of a canon flash. I will eventually file it flat nto mimic more the actual rivet on the graflex but for the time being I need to be able to remove it. (you can also clearly see the mess on red button, have to find a solution for that!)
ahsoka_lightsabers_26.jpg

Will probably not update for a few days, I need to receive that custom saber shop order to continue! I hate the Belgium customs, it's really a pain! more than two weeks that it's stuck, and they just answer: it's not been processed yet! no kidding!
cheers

Hey @eethan ! You should be able to disassemble your replica red button. Which brand is it? Roman's has a spring ring, i think TGS has a screw, and I can't remember right this second on the TCSS one, but one way or the other you should be able to take it apart. I noticed the same thing happening to a TGS button in a youtube video a little while back. It's the brass/chrome edge there that's scrapping the sides of the plunger. It should be easy enough to sand/polish the lip where the red plastic plunger comes through the beveled section and make it nice and smooth. Then just polish the plunger back to smooth and pretty and you're all set!

I hope your order clears customs soon!

Hey there!
so today was our 10th aniversary with my girlfriend so I took my afternoon off, picked up the custom sabers shop order at the post, finally after 2.5 weeks bloked at the customs and I was thinking that tonight I could put both finished lighted up lightsabers on the table when she got back...
well, that was a good plan but I didn't really do as much as I wanted...

here are the new parts
ahsoka_lightsabers_27.jpg

so that's the problem when you are waiting on parts but still have to move forward, the parts don't fit. The threading is almost the same size at the outside of my tubes. the best story is the long one, I spent a long time fitting my tube to the larger one and making them sit flush. I actually needed to have one cm without the thin tube at the end of the long saber. So I had to push back the inside tube out of the large tube... that was fun. and now the lightsaber is 1cm too long so I'll probably try to remove completly the tube and cut it later on...
ahsoka_lightsabers_28.jpg

for the short saber, I filed the threading away and filed the inside of my tube to make them fit. Took a long time but this worked great, both parts are now put together by brute force and are not going to separate any time soon
ahsoka_lightsabers_29.jpg

So, this is what was on the table tonight (next to a bottle of champagne too... :$) She was still really happy, it's starting to look like what I planned even if I hoped I would have done much more today!
ahsoka_lightsabers_30.jpg

also polished some stainless steel screws for the covertec clips, better than the numbers on them like the one on the left of the photo
ahsoka_lightsabers_31.jpg

cheers guys, hpe you like it! :)

Hey @eethan ! You're welcome! Yes 7/64-40 (I don't know the # size for the screw itself). No relation to KR sabers, nor do I currently have any of their lightsabers, l meant that I measured my screw out of my GRAFLEX this morning to answer your call for the size of the one between the two rectangles in front of the glass eye. Yes, the techno speak comes from the GRAFLEX Manual. One of these days I need to compile all the measurements I've taken of mine and go have a shop make me one in Stainless Steel. And the head on the one you made for you Ahsoka looks more correct than the one in your GRAFLEX. Did your GRAFLEX not have one there when you bought it? I thought it was weird that you were asking for measurements on a screw that you already had, but I see now that it looks different from my original one.

Looking forward to your Obi-Wan Armor thread!
Manual eh? Where can I take a look at one of those?

Thanks mate, I worked a bit more on it at some point, made fake bunny ears with 1mm aluminium sheet and couple other details. In the meantime I moved back to France and am super busy building my workshop and renovating a place to leave inside the farm.
I will eventually finish them completely and try to make the electronics work.

I was looking for something GRAFLEX that I'd measured for someone once and bumped into this thread again.

As a contributor towards its success, I evoke the right of Darth Plagueis to revive it from the dead, and request that eethan must post an update posthaste!

Lest he forget that great ideas deserve to be realized... Do. Or do not. There is no eventually! ;)

ahah thanks mate, I will take a photo tomorrow of the set as it is at the moment.
I kind of finished them on time for the convention in 2018 but I wasn't really thrilled, I didn't really managed to do the electronics and I broke one of the bunny ears tab when trying to fold them, so I abandonned that detail.
My girlfriend still loves that set and that's what's important, that and the fact that I worked a bit on my skills with that project. :)

Ok here are a few pics of the current state of those sabers. I wish I could improve them a bit. Maybe I'll try to at least take the time to weather them a bit in the PT style with a bit of black paint in the details.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

Maybe, and I'm really putting an emphasis on the maybe, I'll or my girlfriend will come and post a few pics of the costumes we made that go with those sabers.

cheers

GREAT JOB eethan ! Even with the broken tab, they turned out very nice!

Kudos on the photographs too! They look very professional!

I like the way you routed the ears through the slots on the non-broken side, it's a clever stopping point/compromise to not breaking both sets of ear-tabs off.

Are the Bunny Ears a top and bottom/ left and a right half?

GREAT JOB eethan ! Even with the broken tab, they turned out very nice!

Kudos on the photographs too! They look very professional!

I like the way you routed the ears through the slots on the non-broken side, it's a clever stopping point/compromise to not breaking both sets of ear-tabs off.

Are the Bunny Ears a top and bottom/ left and a right half?
thanks a lot guys!

the way I routed the slots on the non-broken side is the step before bending the tabs, I wish I didnt try to bend them or just went more carefully. But that's ok, I learned from my mistakes and that's the most important!
The ears are indeed two symetrical strips, one whole strip for the top and bottom of each side. It was super fun to fit inside the slots with a curvature of the right diameter inside, and then fit the second tube inside. All of that is really tight!
cheers

Yes very nice work to be happy with, I like this Jedi padwan on clone wars, I still think the the Jedi order did her wrong and was glad to see her older self help Esra on rebels mostly when she dueled Vader in the temple and went with I can't think of her name Mando girl to go and try to find Esra in the end of Rebels cool props I Love these sabers

reviving this thread as it's too fun to see the new saber from the show, so similar to the design I did a few years back! :love:
I know it's basically just 2 Ahsoka sabers, but they are both borowing from such similar ideas, Obi Wan pommels, closer graflex details than what we see in the cartoon! I think they just didn't go with the wider bottom as seen in the cartoon though. Fun stuff :)
comp_Ahsoka.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back