Chewbacca at long last

real_ronin677

So after many years of being on the back burner I decided to pick up my Chewbacca costume again. I started it back in 2005 and remember reading at the time that about 80% of Chewbacca costumes never got completed due to the amount of work involved. Anyway I'm almost there :)

Got my bandolier on order from the States and the voice box awaiting collection at the post office. I gave the mask and torso a quick test fiting and I'm very happy so far, although there is still a lot of thinning to do. The legs are done but the hair needs straightening on them (it was the legs that I started over 10 years ago and have since been in a box in the loft). I am using plasterers stilts to get a height of 7'2".

Excuse the pyjama trousers in the photo (I'm just a very chilled guy at home)
JDBx9jE.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t agree, that Chewie looks too straight and fur seems a little long. Whenever I see a long straight Chewie, this comes to my mind
TOY_Yorkshire-Terrier.jpg

Instead it should be wavy and look at his arm the fur is shorter than the width of his arm looks that it is like 5” when curled, probably is like 6” or 7” long. And thats the other thing the suit should be fitted, like a wetsuit, because you can see the shape of his arm.

noticia-star-wars-nota-chewie.png

chewbacca.jpeg

Other than that, It looks good! Nice color shades, would try to fade the grey a little bit more [emoji3]
Keep up!

Last edited:
I don’t agree, that Chewie looks too straight and fur seems a little long. Whenever I see a long straight Chewie, this comes to my mind https://www.purina.com/sites/g/files/auxxlc196/files/TOY_Yorkshire-Terrier.jpg
Instead it should be wavy and look at his arm the fur is shorter than the width of his arm looks that it is like 5” when curled, probably is like 6” or 7” long. And thats the other thing the suit should be fitted, like a wetsuit, because you can see the shape of his arm.

https://prod-media-larepublica-pe..../2017/12/29/noticia-star-wars-nota-chewie.png
https://cdn2us-denofgeek-com.cdn.a...e/public/2016/10/chewbacca.jpeg?itok=sfDLqR8A

Other than that, It looks good! Nice color shades, would try to fade the grey a little bit more [emoji3]
Keep up!

Thanks for the comments (they all help). The hair is actually only 7" long but as I said it does need further thinning. The under suit is in fact quite tight and my arms only just fit through the sleeves :) I'm hoping that once I've finished with the thinning and the hair has settled, it will start to become more 'tangled'

- - - Updated - - -

I found this video about the costume quite interesting... talks a bit about the length of the hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7u1CVe9BYE

Cool link. Cheers man

Last edited:
That’s awesome! But I still feel it is too dense, too straight, too long. You should do some curling /waving and trim /shape it a little more. And the sideburns and eyebrows are too long, I know you’re still touching up.
Still, great job!

Darth Gardea uses Tapatalk

That’s awesome! But I still feel it is too dense, too straight, too long. You should do some curling /waving and trim /shape it a little more. And the sideburns and eyebrows are too long, I know you’re still touching up.
Still, great job!

Good tips. I'll take them on board. I'm a bit worried about thinning the arms too much as the mesh will start to show through. I only latch hooked every centimetre or so. Agreed about the face now I look at it

Good tips. I'll take them on board. I'm a bit worried about thinning the arms too much as the mesh will start to show through. I only latch hooked every centimetre or so. Agreed about the face now I look at it

Well, you should be wearing under armour or a body suit that matches the color of the mesh suit to camouflage it. Even if it shows a little people will not be looking at it (it’s more your *OWD than anything else).

In fact, Now that I think of this , I believe this is what they did: they used a brown bodysuit under the mesh suit, and the mesh suit is actually brown as well. So infact we do see some of the undersuit but do not really notice it because it camouflages with the fur.

Here you can clearly see at the neck the body suit is brown.
1d4a293eb046ecbd9433bd551bdc0e51.jpg

Look at his thighs in this shot, you can totally see thru the grey fur that backing is brown.
b6e080b8051a9d8f82593e829a2e38f0.jpg

Close up here
db1a24e72573b03f0b0331fd271372f3.jpg

At least that’s my theory, got no solid proof.

So as long as you match your mesh color to your under suit color, no one should really notice it, unless the mesh suit is way too loose for the light to pass thru between the mesh fabric and the body suit fabric.

If you haven't already, you may also want to check out Adam Savage's episodes on making Chewie as they discuss the mask/hair/blending/shaping in great detail! Keep it up, almost there!

Here’s a little Chewie groomin’ from TLJ, moustache is not so dark , and I think the eye holes perimeter is darkened (not light brown). Checkout head hair length and the size of those hair rolls
a2a87ccc8b1ce7113004594da88d3215.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back