The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I just noticed something else about the "white glove" saber. The two black "buttons" on the side of the control box seems to have generous bevels on the edges. I can't be sure but this seems to missing on both on all the images of the TLJ saber.

I might add, that I can't help but shake the feeling that the "white glove" saber isn't metal. It looks as if some of the gold/bronze/copper paint from the bars made it on the black "buttons".

Last edited:
That would still fit the composite/retouch theory. In fact, if the real hand that was removed covered the buttons, the rendered/cloned version would be slightly different.

That would still fit the composite/retouch theory. In fact, if the real hand that was removed covered the buttons, the rendered/cloned version would be slightly different.

What do you think of the idea that "white glove" saber might not be metal at all? I swear I can see where some of the bronze/copper paint from sidebars got on the black "buttons".

I agree with Halliwax. Seems to me like the saber is practical (maybe even the one of white gloves), but in this shot, half of the saber from the handgrip down has CGI that gives it a weird shine and streamlined black activation button. Maybe the original hand that was holding it had to be CGI'd out, and they had to make some stuff up to fill in the blanks? The top of the saber looks much less shiny and real to me, while the bottom looks too shiny, like a weird photoshop superimposed effect.
View attachment 802489

Nice photo trick there!! Think your on to something!!

I gotta go check out this white glove saber again... she’s getting a lot of talk right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some new photos in the TLJ Graflex thread are revealing and provide more clues about the Jedi Luke saber. Hamill's hand was bare save for some green tape around the fingers for tracking. Those green bands (and fingers) tended to have a visible reflection even in the satin finish of the Graflex, and so that saber was partly replaced or blended with a CG version to provide proper reflections of the metal hand. Take a look at this image from Cinefex (thx D48thRonin). Funny enough, some green is still visible in the finished shot along the edge of the curved part of the Graflex emitter:

Screen01.png
(posted by accidental)

MDS00030.jpg
(Cinefex / D48thRonin)

Taking the above into account, it's highly likely that the back end of Luke's Jedi saber was similarly modified in post.

And I’m doubly annoyed they didn’t do this to fix all the very obvious shots of the stunt sabers.

That part where Rey takes down one of the guards with a reverse grip. The stunt saber is so painfully obvious, that I saw it the first time I watched the movie!

So here's the paint I think I'm seeing. Which makes me wonder if this particular saber is made from metal? Someone else mentioned that details look "soft" on this one.

New canvas.jpg

damn good looking eyes!! sure does look like a paint job

More like me obsessing over this saber ever since the movie came out:D

I'm inclined to think that "white glove" might be a resin stunt. And that we have at minimum two metal heroes for a total of 3. One built hero for TFA and didn't get used, and the other hero built for TLJ. Unfortunately this hypothesis hinges on how much of the saber they CG'd.

Or we have two sabers altogether. A resin stunt, and a hero, that was made for TFA and had some details changed for TLJ with some 21st century movie magic.

With this new CGI speculation, how many gold/copper traces are we going for on the card? 13 trace or 12 trace starting with black stripe?

With this new CGI speculation, how many gold/copper traces are we going for on the card? 13 trace or 12 trace starting with black stripe?

That’s a good question, lol because now what is screen accurate? The creepy uncle (if it is cgi) card, on the white glove saber card?

There is so many inconsistencies with this saber, I’m going for my own route lol

I’m still not sold on the white-glove saber being the creepy uncle given the box— but again, the retouching and compositing could alter that,

I’m still not sold on the white-glove saber being the creepy uncle given the box— but again, the retouching and compositing could alter that,

I don't think the "white glove" saber is the "creepy uncle" either. I think it is its own saber. Right now I feel there might be three sabers. TFA BTS, White Glove, and Creepy Uncle. Though TFA BTS and Creepy Uncle might be the same, considering the CG changes that could have occurred.

The reason I don't think that White Glove and TFA BTS are the same comes down to the finish. In particular, the cards. The TFA BTS looks like it has a shiny card, while the White Glove looks to have a matte card. And White Glove does seem a little "soft" almost like its made of resin or something.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back