The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I had a thought this morning. What if this saber is TFA saber and simply CG'd all the differences? It might make sense that would do that, considering you have a CG blade and hand.

I still think the TLJ box more streamlined than the TFA. TLJ looks like the ISYCANL while TFA looks like the cave-build/idealized hero.

I had a thought this morning. What if this saber is TFA saber and simply CG'd all the differences? It might make sense that would do that, considering you have a CG blade and hand.

i seriously think the box here has some CG work done to it

attachment.php

this would explain the inaccuracy to the shine on the gold traces, and the different trace count in this scene, and the photo we have of white gloves.. just my personal belief right now, no proof to back this up

That's my working theory also - assuming the saber isn't fully CG to begin with, at least the box details would make sense to be rotoscoped into the shot as a background for the CG mechanical thumb that passes over it. If a green-gloved hand was painted out, they'd need to redraw at least that part of the saber, so why not tweak it (and in the process accidentally blur out the groove in the control box button bar - it's already hard to see in several frames in the white glove video). But again, no way to know either way until we see either a prop that matches that shot exactly or a VFX breakdown of the scene showing the white glove prop being used.

A huge difference between the Creepy Uncle and the white glove saber is the finish. The white glove saber has a very dull finish while the Creepy Uncle is quite shiny. But I guess when you throw the CGI argument into the mix there's no way of knowing anything for sure. We might be arguing over something that doesn't exist. But with all the practical effects used in the movie I think the Creepy Uncle is a real prop, activation plate and all. Luke's finger never goes over the plate, just on the side of it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

They're strangely consistent when it comes to the CGI then, because this different view and angle has the same activation plate, with the 12 shiny bars and single dull bar. You would think if the dull bar was a CGI mistake it would only be shown in one shot of the saber, not every single one in the exact same place. This makes me think its a physical prop with a single dull bar and 12 shiny ones. No CGI (except maybe the black bar on the side, since his finger actually does interact with that part of the saber)
abb0e99d82eeb7a6979c5382a2f7e70d.jpg

They're strangely consistent when it comes to the CGI then, because this different view and angle has the same activation plate, with the 12 shiny bars and single dull bar. You would think if the dull bar was a CGI mistake it would only be shown in one shot of the saber, not every single one in the exact same place. This makes me think its a physical prop with a single dull bar and 12 shiny ones. No CGI (except maybe the black bar on the side, since his finger actually does interact with that part of the saber) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180313/abb0e99d82eeb7a6979c5382a2f7e70d.jpg

but the button changes...

I just got my iTunes copy of the film today. I'll start my way through the extras and see if find any BTS pics of the saber

but the button changes...
The black button? Yeah I think that might actually have changed. That's the button Luke presses so that would make sense that they would accidentally remove the groove. His fingers dont even touch the plate though so I'm not sure why they would change that. I don't think the plate was CGIed.

The black button? Yeah I think that might actually have changed. That's the button Luke presses so that would make sense that they would accidentally remove the groove. His fingers dont even touch the plate though so I'm not sure why they would change that. I don't think the plate was CGIed.

The thumb does overlap a small portion of the top - see here: https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=801279&d=1520676093

I agree with Halliwax. Seems to me like the saber is practical (maybe even the one of white gloves), but in this shot, half of the saber from the handgrip down has CGI that gives it a weird shine and streamlined black activation button. Maybe the original hand that was holding it had to be CGI'd out, and they had to make some stuff up to fill in the blanks? The top of the saber looks much less shiny and real to me, while the bottom looks too shiny, like a weird photoshop superimposed effect.
Screen03 (1).png

Last edited:
The fact that we know the hand is cg confirms this is an fx shot that was composited. I'm guessing it's the same process that we have seen bts pics of where Mark Hamilton has green tracking tape on his real hand. That gives them the tracking data for the cg Hand movement. They'd composite that using a static plated of the scene with Mark lowering his hands to get the background of his body. From there his hand and parts of the saber would be roto'd out and then replaced by the cg model. So the idea that we could be seeing a a practical saber, a cgi saber, or a composite of the two in one seemingly single shot is totally possible.

Maybe we can see if the graflex he holds in the beginning has any CGI parts. That could help us know how much replacement occurs with the robotic hand. And we have reference of Rey holding the graflex and BTS videos to compare the real prop and the CGI prop (assuming it is CGI).

So another question for you all. Are we still thinking that card has gold traces? The only reason I ask, is because the fact that the Roman Props V4 had a very shiny card that uses copper traces, and looks awfully similar.

20180129_121434.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back