ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

you tell em Scott.

Funny thing is, it wouldn't take all that much to do it right. Guess they don't want to spend the money on the tooling.

Weird that Denix would pursue making parts. Looks like they might make a c96 without the logo though? Shame for those who just bought Denix's existing gun...like me...

Weird that Denix would pursue making parts. Looks like they might make a c96 without the logo though? Shame for those who just bought Denix's existing gun...like me...

Don't sweat it, the logo is the easiest thing to fix on a Denix [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

...you have to remember that these mounts were jury-rigged onto the Mausers. The mounts used in SW were not production Mauser C96 mounts and were simply bolted and screwed, and glued onto the frames.

The Hero ANH mount that was also used in Sitting Target was a custom or limited production piece mounted on the left. (at least we think it was custom since no one can find another like it)

When they used it for SW, it was just bolted on with those two side mount thumb screws and crossbar. A short threaded rod was threaded and screwed (maybe welded/silver-soldiered) to the frame receiver, then two disk spacers, then the crossbar then the two thumbscrews to hold it all tight to the frame. The T mount slides over the dovetail on the crossbar and is tightened by the center thumbscrew. Viola !

Some others here have a long history and knowledge of the parts such as Chris (lonepidgeon) from Parts of Star Wars and has described the way it came about.

Did you guys ever find out any specifics for the spacers and threaded rods that were used? I was working on my Yoda saber recently and a few of the flash's components caught my eye. The saber is made from a Praco flash. Even though this saber wasn't in the OT, it seems like the props department liked using crazy components and must have had a lot flashguns at one time. The Praco flash had a mounting bracket that seems like it's similar in size to the scope mounting bracket on this blaster. I am not fortunate enough to own a Praco and my Yoda saber is built off of the US version (a Bosley flash gun), but they shared similar construction. Although the mounting system was different, they both had a couple knurled washers and a knurled thumbscrew. I have included a picture of these items that came off of my Bosley as well as a couple pics of a Praco Flash and most notable the mounting bracket.
Comp. 2.JPGComp. 1.JPG

Praco Image.jpgPraco Image 2.jpg

Do you think it's possible the bracket was modified and these washers/thumbscrew were used?

Nice find. Seems possible the thumb nuts may have been used. They look like standard types.
The threaded rods would have needed to be attached very strongly. We have guessed that the "washers" were silver soldered on the frame and the threaded rods screwed down.
Some members here have built live fire versions and shown that any blast strong enough to cycle the action would have shaken the mount off quickly. I think they added the crossbar and 2 thumb nuts later to help hold it on.

Nice find. Seems possible the thumb nuts may have been used. They look like standard types.
The threaded rods would have needed to be attached very strongly. We have guessed that the "washers" were silver soldered on the frame and the threaded rods screwed down.
Some members here have built live fire versions and shown that any blast strong enough to cycle the action would have shaken the mount off quickly. I think they added the crossbar and 2 thumb nuts later to help hold it on.

OK. Thanks for clarifying the mounting system. I'm always first to doubt myself, so it's most likely a coincidence. I just thought it was quite interesting when I thought more about what might have just been "laying" around when the time came to assemble this. (Oh, we have this box of flashguns and parts over here...) And I also caught the live-fire models being built. Very awesome to see being shot!

I thought I would get a pony into this horse race...unfortunately I started with a mule.

Unhappy with my MR DL-44 I was hunting for a base pistol...MGC being ideal. Unfortunately anything remotely close to a mauser is a no no in Canada.

I had a BB-gun with sharper details than the denix...but the body had buttons all over it. (just found out today that TFA used this as the base...too bad I am making ANH prop)

So....I think I voided the warranty on the MR replica and the BB-gun.

I completely demolished the MR denix....started machining out the details...and made room to accept the top portion/hammer/safety etc. from the BB-gun. I stripped both to the bone and also machined in some details on the BB-gun bits.

Luckily the metal took well to blackening. I got a bit artsy and laser etched in the writing on the barrel. Still more to do on those parts but its a start.

Chemically colouring "sketchy" metal is always a gamble...luckily the BB gun bits are liking it. If anyone is interested...the metal was bead blasted and then dipped 6 times in this product:

https://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=37

A-15

Next bits will be to finish machining the denix...fill some more holes...and blacken it as well.

Im planning on laser etching the marking on the side of the denix as well (crazy since they are covered up by the scope mount) Once I have the CAD done up I will post both sets of graphics for anyone who wants to do some scribing on their replica C96's

Thanks to all for the leg work in this thread...its a great foundation.

Attachments

• FRANKENSTEIN DL-44.JPG
    FRANKENSTEIN DL-44.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 174
  • MAUSER ETCH 1.JPG
    MAUSER ETCH 1.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 176
  • BB GUN PARTS.JPG
    BB GUN PARTS.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
P.S.

Forgot to ask...

Has anyone done any CSI business on the images of the ANH hero gun and determined what the proper stamped numbers were?

It is shown very faint in this image...but Im having a hard time making out the numbers. Looks like there are 4 of them for starts though....

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• anhrealheroleftiu1.jpg
    anhrealheroleftiu1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 153
Awesome! I had plans to add the writing details back in on my build as well. Looking great so far!

I thought I would get a pony into this horse race...unfortunately I started with a mule.

Unhappy with my MR DL-44 I was hunting for a base pistol...MGC being ideal. Unfortunately anything remotely close to a mauser is a no no in Canada.

I had a BB-gun with sharper details than the denix...but the body had buttons all over it. (just found out today that TFA used this as the base...too bad I am making ANH prop)

I completely demolished the MR denix....started machining out the details...and made room to accept the top portion/hammer/safety etc. from the BB-gun. I stripped both to the bone and also machined in some details on the BB-gun bits.

Luckily the metal took well to blackening. I got a bit artsy and laser etched in the writing on the barrel. Still more to do on those parts but its a start.

Chemically colouring "sketchy" metal is always a gamble...luckily the BB gun bits are liking it. If anyone is interested...the metal was bead blasted and then dipped 6 times in this product:

A-15

Next bits will be to finish machining the denix...fill some more holes...and blacken it as well.

Im planning on laser etching the marking on the side of the denix as well (crazy since they are covered up by the scope mount) Once I have the CAD done up I will post both sets of graphics for anyone who wants to do some scribing on their replica C96's

A-15

Awesome job on doing the etching! I plan on doing them too on my mauser for extra details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work on those etchings, Jason!

The last 4 remaining digits of the serial number are 2813. Their placement and such can be seen better in photos of the ESB/ROTJ stunt blasters, which were cast from the same Mauser as the ANH Hero.

ESBstunts_zps466lnhhf.png~original

-Carson

P.S.

Forgot to ask...

Has anyone done any CSI business on the images of the ANH hero gun and determined what the proper stamped numbers were?

It is shown very faint in this image...but Im having a hard time making out the numbers. Looks like there are 4 of them for starts though....

Thank you in advance for any insight.

I'm about to start tackling the process of increasing the accuracy of my Denix. Has anyone created a template for milling out the extractor feature? I've been searching for the specs and or dimensions of this but to no avail... The only thing I have been able to source is technical exploded views of the C-96 and it's parts. I'd like to reference a template that's been created, before I go and try to guess at making it the right size.

I'm about to start tackling the process of increasing the accuracy of my Denix. Has anyone created a template for milling out the extractor feature? I've been searching for the specs and or dimensions of this but to no avail... The only thing I have been able to source is technical exploded views of the C-96 and it's parts. I'd like to reference a template that's been created, before I go and try to guess at making it the right size.

Scottjua has some great photos that I saw somewhere that compares the real C96 and a denix. I downloaded them for reference. I hope he doesn't mind if I repost it here.

2ab09cf2f9780f8c91ddab326b306102.jpg

as long as you say it came from me I'm good. ^_^

When I mill the extractors, I just reference my real mausers. I don't use a template, just measure and cut.

for a denix, you could simply make a template from clear acrylic, like from a new shirt collar, Krazy glue it down lightly and scribe a line on top of the bolt.
file/scrape off the glue...unlike the HERO builders... ; )

Use a darker/more color on the extractor and buff/sand the bolt head and viola... done.

It's artisans like yourselves that give fanboys/fangirls a 'bad' name in the BEST possible way (and also started revolutionary companies like Apple, Microsoft, and a little concern called ILM).

Being a cosplayer, I truly appreciate the diligence with which you pore over every minute detail in an effort to get as much correct to the nth degree! I've wanted a DL-44 since 1977, and thanks to everyone's efforts and especially cöoperation, I now have the wherewithal to fulfill that childhood dream.

Keep up the fanTAStic work, and thank you again!!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'd like to step in here and say that for the first time I stripped and blued a Denix and a DEC scope, flash hider and bbarrel tonight. After methodically heating, applying Aluminum black, rinse and brush, over and over I actually got the mottled deep gray/brown/blue look of cold steel. My scope is almost the same shade as a Hensoldt now, this is freaking incredible, and I understand the appreciation for real looking parts.

****, I forgot to mask off the disc, oops :lol

Scottjua has some great photos that I saw somewhere that compares the real C96 and a denix. I downloaded them for reference. I hope he doesn't mind if I repost it here.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/2ab09cf2f9780f8c91ddab326b306102.jpg

as long as you say it came from me I'm good. ^_^

When I mill the extractors, I just reference my real mausers. I don't use a template, just measure and cut.

for a denix, you could simply make a template from clear acrylic, like from a new shirt collar, Krazy glue it down lightly and scribe a line on top of the bolt.
file/scrape off the glue...unlike the HERO builders... ; )

Use a darker/more color on the extractor and buff/sand the bolt head and viola... done.

Thank you guys! I appreciate these helpful tips. kpax that is an awesome idea to use that collar piece. I actually have a few extras around here. I may give that a try.

I just wanted to make sure I can recreate this feature to the best of my abilities. It seems like an easy enough task, then that one slight screw up...

Thanks All

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back