The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I won't play anything but single player games, so apparently, someone is just wrong.
Same here. I've played a few games where you help each other out online, but much prefer by myself. Any game where is VS someone, I always get killed/beaten, because those people live and breath the game so much, you have no chance.

which just proves people are emotional and put in 0 effort researching anything. They just need to feel like they're a part of something and jump on the bandwagon.. I'll give vegas odds all those games that were gone were the current releases like COD: WWII and NBA18K etc.... all full of RNG micro transactions you can buy with money and in the case of NBA18K, straight up P2W. All the stuff gamers were apparently outraged about in SWBFII. Even the current AC game, while doesn't have Crates you can buy with real money, still contains RNG crates you buy with ingame money you earn.

It's less about what's researched, and more about what's breaking through to popular culture and the broader internet outside of gamer crowds. The gamers paid attention, mostly but the big difference is that the news broke through to a LOT of mainstream news. The gambling aspect of this also probably made parents wary.

There's a big difference between what you can buy and what it does in the game. I don't care if people can buy things in the game, I just don't want those things to give someone an unfair advantage. If someone put the time in and unlock something, then that's fine if they are better. I just don't want Joe Blow buying the game and five minutes later having everything unlocked. I also don't have a problem if they do what Battlefield 3 or 4 (I forgot which) where after the game was out for a year they started allowing people to buy some or all of the upgrades. The people who already put the time in had the rank to have those unlocks so by then it didn't make any difference and let new people get into the game on a fairer playing field.

To be honest, I don't really care whether they have a store where you can directly purchase the upgrades you want. These games reward investment of time or money; they don't really reward skill. And really, they shouldn't be giving people in-game advantages at all, especially not if they're already doing well. Most older games had progression systems that were relatively manageable, and which were more about "sidegrades" than "upgrades." This game is ALL about upgrades, and requires massive time investment to progress.

I wish games just didn't have progression systems at all. Let people use their guns and abilities equally from the start. That, to my way of thinking, is the only way that player skill really ends up mattering.

And I'm sure most of them were bought by well-meaning family members buying things for Christmas. That's why stores put slow-selling merchandise on endcaps around Christmas because people buy what they see and it's a way to get rid of things that otherwise don't sell.

Exactly. And because the well-meaning parents didn't see news about NBA2k18 or other games including loot boxes, but DID see all the stuff about "Star Wars gambling!" they are a lot more likely to skip the game they know has a problem and buy the game they're totally unaware has a problem.

I wish games just didn't have progression systems at all. Let people use their guns and abilities equally from the start. That, to my way of thinking, is the only way that player skill really ends up mattering.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer. Most fun I've ever had playing PvP.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer. Most fun I've ever had playing PvP.

Yes!!! My go-to example of ideal multiplayer. I had some of the best experiences playing on this server called Timelords. And the best part was that the game really rewarded support classes. Lieutenant and Medic were regularly top scorers. That's just not the case with most online shooters anymore, which prioritize kills over teamplay.

Same here. I've played a few games where you help each other out online, but much prefer by myself. Any game where is VS someone, I always get killed/beaten, because those people live and breath the game so much, you have no chance.

Actually, I was wrong, I will play cooperative games like the Lego games with my wife but I will never play with anyone online, especially strangers. It isn't about getting beaten, although considering you have a lot of fanatics out there, that happens. It's just that the online communities of most games are toxic. High testosterone, low class, obnoxious jerks who spend all of their time dick waving and don't care what they have to do to win.

Pass.

Like real life friends, you just have to find a good group to play with. The last multiplayer games I played were Battlefield 3/4 and I found a really cool clan Xtreme Idiots and it was a blast. They played the objectives and banned jerks and it encouraged other people to play that way.

I'm playing Skyrim. Having more fun than I thought I would.
Why can't I adopt just one more kid? It breaks my heart to see Sofie sleeping on the cold ground in Windhelm. :cry

We got a Nintendo Switch at Christmas and while we have SM:Odyssey I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to the system as a whole. We love our Wii U and use it regularly, and so far the majority of Switch titles seems to be old multiplatform ports like Skyrim, and now newly announced ports of Wii U games like Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze. BOTW is great but I beat it months ago for Wii U. No virtual console, obviously no backwards compatibility, it just feels a little punishing to people who invested in the prior generation. All the accessories like Pro Controllers are incompatible too which is just a cash grab.

Hi all Super Nintendo mini is now back in stock at the official nintendo shop online uk it’s one per customer here is the link
https://store.nintendo.co.uk/?sourc...CuHUQAvD_BwE&dclid=CLiOspyN09gCFWYh0wodDS8Agw

These are neat, but I don't understand the "sold out everywhere" desire for them.

People can just go buy an original, cheap, and get a multi-cart or do the Raspberry Pi emulator thing.

@harrisonp
Nintendo typically has lots of third party games the first year or so, then it usually drops off and the big games will be Nintendo and second party titles with drought in-between.

These are neat, but I don't understand the "sold out everywhere" desire for them.

People can just go buy an original, cheap, and get a multi-cart or do the Raspberry Pi emulator thing.

@harrisonp
Nintendo typically has lots of third party games the first year or so, then it usually drops off and the big games will be Nintendo and second party titles with drought in-between.

I know what you saying, I have both the original and the mini, collectors also like them, also I think it takes people back to when they had one as a kid! they buy one to show there kids what kind of game they used to play etc..... and the rest is about people buying lots of them and making £€$
i agree the original is great to have....
whats other peoples thoughts?...

for Switch owners, check out Stardew Valley. its not that new a game but I just recently got into it on PC and its crazy addicting.

I'm playing Skyrim. Having more fun than I thought I would.
Why can't I adopt just one more kid? It breaks my heart to see Sofie sleeping on the cold ground in Windhelm. :cry

I never bought Skyrim until the GOTY version was on sale on Steam. I didn't think I'd like it because the whole D&D/Conan/etc stuff was always boring so I dismissed it. I was way wrong. I think I played it four times in a row. Every time I see that girl in the game, I keep saying "It's a game..." then I still adopt her. You can adopt two kids if you have room for them. I think you have to have the Hearthfire DLC that let's you build a house. I don't think the houses in the main game have enough room for two kids, but I may be wrong. Although I seem to remember my nephew having two kids in the Markarth house you can buy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back