The Martian Space Suit

Cleaning and refining the parts. I added a bunch of little details. I want that when you guys get the finished helmet all you do is just add paint and decals and you are done.
CLOSE-UP.JPG

Off to a good start, I think. :)

The Martian Suit Accessories.jpg

Also, I spent the weekend at New York Comic Con chatting up some astronauts.

Look for the transcribed interview soon on astronauts4hire.org.

They all loved "The Martian." :D

Astronauts NYCC 2015.jpg
Pictured: Astronauts Robert Curbeam, Jerry Linenger, and Soyeon Yi.

Astronauts are the chillest.

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm still trying to source a harness and the orange lanyard

I scoured the internet SO hard for that damn harness. Finally came across one UK site that said they still had this ONE left, and I was lucky that they were nice enough to ship it to me in New York since the site is really just for UK orders.

The orange lanyard I got on amazon (are amazon links allowed?): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X9NFQW

Looks like they're currently out of the length that I ordered, the 120 cm, but they might get some back in stock.

Be careful if you order it from other sites though, I tried from TWO sites first and they both sent me the grey/black trim slings even though the image in the listing was the orange one, and both said "we don't guarantee color."

Makes no sense to me, doesn't seem like a good retail practice. And then as you can see in the amazon listing, it's actually considered grey and *gold* rather than *orange,* so try that if you go looking for it.

I'm psyched to be working on this costume, but not psyched about all these excess mishap charges so far. -_-

Yeah I sent Tim a link to the eBay listing I bought mine from. I got the 120cm length 16mm sling by DMM. Thanks to Soulinertia for the find.

For any newcomers here is the Facebook group again for DragonCon next year:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/633142076826256/

I plan on having my suit finished for MegaCon in May but I figured there wouldn't be too many of you guys coming down to Florida for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering getting a blue one and dying it, but for now I'm still searching :/ I might make it to MegaCon

I'm gonna try getting down the patterns of the neoprene and figure out what type of seams go where. I'm also interested in trying to get a run going for the custom metal parts like valves and plates covering the Nautic Cobra buckles. I'll do a print of that amazing compilation PDF Tim managed to put together.

I'm gonna try getting down the patterns of the neoprene and figure out what type of seams go where. I'm also interested in trying to get a run going for the custom metal parts like valves and plates covering the Nautic Cobra buckles. I'll do a print of that amazing compilation PDF Tim managed to put together.

Keep us posted on that pattern. Would love to have something in hand to take to my seamstress when we get the fabric.

I took all of the reference photos being posted, and organized them all into a book - sorted by the various parts of the costume. Hopefully this will help during the assembly process, although I kept the original resolutions of all the images and tried to minimize cropping for layout reasons to trivial parts of the images (non-costume areas of the pictures), so you should be able to zoom in pretty far on each image while still retaining clarity, if needed. If there are any changes/additions you'd like made, let me know. I limited the content to screengrabs, publicity/production stills, and the picture dumps from @jontom and @Frank Ippolito, mainly because I wanted a guide to help me assemble and finish the costume, using other pics on this thread to identify parts. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByIGfquakAu5NXpYVnFnTVFaRWM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks very much Tim, this is beyond awesome! :D

Roughneckone :cool

I was actually thinking a lot of those plates and things would be doable 3d printed and cast. Its a lot of reproduction of the same things. With the exception of the custom male end in the back that the harness is hanging from. Think it might be worth cutting that one out of something, otherwise it might break.

I was actually thinking a lot of those plates and things would be doable 3d printed and cast. Its a lot of reproduction of the same things. With the exception of the custom male end in the back that the harness is hanging from. Think it might be worth cutting that one out of something, otherwise it might break.

That could work but I think it would be easier to make a brass plate and sandwich the neoprene + Nautic between it and some sort of back plate with threads.

I think we have enough reference to replicate the suit accurately enough :)

@CaptainApril awesome job. What's everyone thinking about doing once the 3D model is finished? Unfolding and pep, 3D printing, machining, a little of each?

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_2015-10-14-15-41-27.png
Trying to upload an image from my phone here.
I noticed that the buckles looked different as if they were more loose than the ones you get when buying them and I noticed this little detail showing that all the male ends are thicker brass too!

20151014_141252.jpg20151014_141115.jpg20151014_140424.jpg20151014_140242.jpg20151014_140123.jpg20151014_140004.jpg20151014_135920.jpg20151014_135708.jpg

These are the parts I got so far, got a way to go but I think most of the parts that can be bought are here excluding the webbing, cable connector on the chest plate and of course the buckles.

Edit:
Sorry for the bad quality photos and the tilted ones, I got no computer for a couple of days.

I believe the 2CoolShirt in the movie is also a Badger Sport brand in case someone want to make a DIY shirt. I was considering it earlier but decided to pay the full price since I can't take any risks with leakage inside the suit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back