Iron Man Mark 1 Build. JF foam template.

Helghallen

Hi folks. After trying my hand using the JF Foam files to build the Helmet of Nabu and Captain America's helmet, I got adventurous. I am wanting to do a Mark 1 suit. Have for a long time. But I am having serious issues getting things to work for me.

After a fourth attempt at the helmet, using a 15% increase in size, I have one that fits. Yay me.

Now however as I move down the body, the everything else is giving me fits. Using the torso file, I have the pieces cut and glued, but I am not understanding how I am supposed to curve the side pieces to sit on my frame. I am 5'8" and yes the current work is in the original size supposedly meant for a 6'0" person. Trying to glue the pieces as shown in the pep file leaves nearly no room for my body inside the center. I am stuck....at one point quite literally.

I have some shoulders complete, but not sure if they are too big for my body or not. And do the lower portions connect to each other around the arm?

I really want to do this but am so frustrated at this point. And now I can't figure out how to add pictures. I am going to post this and add them later....argh

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mark 1 Build/Help

Hi Helghallen and welcome to the RPF.
It sounds to me that you may have scaled your torso piece slightly too small.Aside from that,it is my understanding that in most cases the torso armour is cut in half and assembled later,often with velcro,straps or magnets (I tried to pull foam armour over my head and it's just way too rigid that way),unless the design allows you to scale bigger and wear it that way.
I was also taught here on the forum that as a golden rule you scale the armour to fit you,not the other way around.
I haven't actually looked into the MKI design,but I will have a look into your problem today and will get back to you.I hope all this made sense and helped you somewhat.

Okay, figured out pictures....

Here are shots of my Helmet of Nabu.
20161118_220133.jpg20161211_200739.jpg

Here is Cap's Helmet
20161211_200727.jpg

Mark 1 Helmet
20161211_200628.jpg

And here is where I run into issues. This first shot is the upper torso. The opening is where the head goes. Those loose pieces are supposed to attach to the back portion which is the left side of the picture.
20161211_200618.jpg

Finally, the shoulders.They are identical on both sides,, but two questions. 1: in the third shot you can see the underside. Should that right portion connect with glue, or am I thinking it should be strapped, leaving an open space? 2: how does it attach to the upper torso from above, or does it even do that and the shoulders should just kinda be under it, being loose?
20161209_130805.jpg20161211_200640.jpg20161211_200648.jpg20161209_130754.jpg

To my knowledge,the shoulders are usually treated like all other parts: separate and strapped.I know of few builds that are made as one,with exception latex covered builds like the Rhino.I still have to find a moment to look into your chest armor question.What is the problem exactly with this part? Do the sides not line up?

Correct. The sides don't really line up. I believe it is supposed to slide on like a shirt, I think. But even if not, the gap doesn't really seem to have room for a person.

Have you measured all 3 dimensions of the chest beforehand? Even for paper test builds you need to have some estimate before you start.Rule of thumb to many = snug+foam thickness.

Most chest pieces will not slide on because of the solidity of foam.People often either use straps,magnets or elastics to (re)connect the pieces and unless you scale your armor size xl,you won't get past the bottlenecks in chest,forearms and shins.

For as far as I could see,the chest piece is not connected all the way round,so I am guessing the ends either need to be strapped or glued to where the drawing says they should,eventhough there are no edge IDs to guide you.You'll have to keep Pepakura Designer open as you glue/strap them.

Last edited:

I haven't really had the chance to solve it yet. After taking your suggestion about measuring beforehand and testing with foam, I realize I was just futzing about really. I have printed new versions of the patterns, scaled down by 10% and will be trying them out in foam in to see if the size is better. Doesn't do me any good if the pieces themselves are too large to fit me to begin with.

So, I am starting from scratch and we will see. I definitely understand how everything fits together better now and that will help in the long run.

Thank you for the advice and assistance. And definitely thank you for checking back with me. I very much appreciate it. I will be updating this thread as I get into the project for real and try again.

You're welcome.I believe you can change the title of this thread,so in due time you can make it your personal building thread for multiple projects.

With regard to testing patterns,I would highly recommend to test with cardstock/paper rather than foam.The latter will be quite expensive just to test with.Save the best for last.
Good luck for now :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back