Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

I did not receive the PM....:-(

Tried to but got this:

YuriGagarin61 has chosen not to receive messages or may not be allowed to receive messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove YuriGagarin61 from the recipient list and send the message again.

Send me a PM instead.

Hey everybody, long time lurker on this thread, but first time member/poster on therpf. I've been thinking about working on an Ash-style flight suit, which I don't think I've seen anyone else do before?

I found some information here, which shows the differences between Ash's flight suit and Ripley's:

http://www.propbay.com/original/ash-ian-holm-jumpsuit-costume-alien-1979-wardrobe-4612.html

The most evident difference are the sleeve laces. I've seen a ton of sleeve laces done for the MK3 Nostromo jacket, is anyone selling lace sets or are most people just making their own from twill tape?

Sub question -- it looks like Ash's mini-WY wings are green. Were Ripley's flight suit wings green as well?

Procuring a G4 flight suit is prohibitively expensive, so I was hoping that with some minor mods I could use a Canadian flight suit. The pockets and collar seemed to be a better match than the current US flight suit.

DSC_8885_large.png

Finally, just eyeballing the photos of Ash's coveralls -- those look like 10" zippers/loops on the rear part of the flight suit? Can anyone who actually has a G4 confirm how long the lacing and zippers are? It's not going to be exact no matter what, but I'd like to get into the right ballpark.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully this will be a productive project.

Yeah, it looks like the mini-wings are on a dark green base in the better photos, including Ripley's. Attached are some screencaps of Ash's flightsuit.

Attachments

• shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 253
  • shot0002.jpg
    shot0002.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 499
  • shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 248
  • shot0004.jpg
    shot0004.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 508
  • shot0005.jpg
    shot0005.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 715
Don't know if you guys noticed this but a man from Dundee is trying to get the cap he bought authenticated as the (of many??) screen worn Brett cap. The photos have shown me more of the details that i was lacking when trying to pin down a good base cap for a replica.
alienhat2.jpgalienhat3.jpg

So, appears to be:
Navy blue six panel, White stitching, Green under skip/peak, snap-back closure, Gold oak leaf on black.

Naturally the patch and oak leaf are easy enough but i am finding it hard to find a similar cap! Anybody got any leads on one?

EDIT: Well, who knew, it appears that the oak leaf/scrambled eggs are not just slightly varied but are in fact different for the depiction of which service your in and/or rank. SO, anyone know which actual type of Oak leaf is on Brett's cap?

Last edited:
Don't know if you guys noticed this but a man from Dundee is trying to get the cap he bought authenticated as the (of many??) screen worn Brett cap. The photos have shown me more of the details that i was lacking when trying to pin down a good base cap for a replica.
View attachment 634051View attachment 634052

So, appears to be:
Navy blue six panel, White stitching, Green under skip/peak, snap-back closure, Gold oak leaf on black.

Naturally the patch and oak leaf are easy enough but i am finding it hard to find a similar cap! Anybody got any leads on one?

EDIT: Well, who knew, it appears that the oak leaf/scrambled eggs are not just slightly varied but are in fact different for the depiction of which service your in and/or rank. SO, anyone know which actual type of Oak leaf is on Brett's cap?
Good question! I have the Nostromo patch and I'm also looking to find a good, close-enough cap and scrambled eggs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you can tell me an approximate time in the film where we get a good look at Brett's cap, I can get screencaps.

Until then, I have these stills. The white stitching makes me suspicious.

Attachments

• still-of-harry-dean-stanton-in-alien-1979.jpg
    still-of-harry-dean-stanton-in-alien-1979.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 198
  • brett and alien skin.jpg
    brett and alien skin.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 278
We get one clean frame of the special effects insert head's cap, which has a patch that looks like a color photocopy?

The 'scrambled eggs' appear to be the fancy kind; I think 'bullion' is the term for them, like the silver & gold 'wings' patches.

Attachments

• shot0002.jpg
    shot0002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
  • jul-02-1979-london-uk-harry-dean-stanton-stars-as-brett-in-the-sci-F6F2NJ.jpg
    jul-02-1979-london-uk-harry-dean-stanton-stars-as-brett-in-the-sci-F6F2NJ.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 276
  • aufm3_zoom.jpg
    aufm3_zoom.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 204
We get one clean frame of the special effects insert head's cap, which has a patch that looks like a color photocopy?

The 'scrambled eggs' appear to be the fancy kind; I think 'bullion' is the term for them, like the silver & gold 'wings' patches.

It is known that they used paper for the badge in that scene because the mechanics of the Alien jaw could not punch through a woven patch.

Chopperinator: don't forget that Ash is the only one with lacing on the sleeves of his flight suit!
Draco: scrambled eggs on the cap are from an officer rank.

Totally! I think that's one of the things that appeals to me about Ash's vs Ripley's suit. Is anyone still selling lacing for Nostromo jackets? Some folks were earlier in the thread...but that was approaching 10 years ago...

Hello all,

I've come very late to the Alien costume and prop party, but have been lurking in RFP for the last couple of months attempting to get my bearings, get a sense of what I'd like to do and what I can manage (in terms of resource availability and skills). I am impressed by the work the group has done, the information shared, and the community spirit.

I had the opportunity to pick up a MKIII jacket (issued in 2010) while I was in the UK this spring (I found nothing older than 2000). Based on the OD color of the synthetic materials, I've about decided to leave it in its production color in lieu of attempting to get the coloring to a more screen-accurate state. I've picked up Banzai88's very nicely done Nostromo stencil, some shoulder patches, and a pair of PF Flyers.

There is so much information, spanning years, in this thread. If anyone has jacket lacing panel construction instructions;current resources on quality patches, decals for WY company ware, uniform clothing patterns; etc. or are willing to point me to the most significant pages (page 25 comes to mind) I would love to hear from you.

Best regards!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work, johnhenryc! It looks like your grosgrain for your lacing is the same for both the edging and the loops - maybe about 5/8" (15.87mm). Do I have that right?
Here are some pics of my finished jacket. It was a little more challenging than I expected, but I'm satisfied with the results.
Special thanks to Banzai88 for the stencil. I used acrylic paint, and ended up with a lot of bleed out (due to lack of experience, I'm sure), but I was able to clean it up nicely.
View attachment 478085View attachment 478086View attachment 478087View attachment 478088View attachment 478089View attachment 478090

Hey all-

I recently finished my Nostromo jacket, Kane's version. I found the info on these pages to be a great help, so I thought I'd share photos of the finished item.

I started with the grey/green jacket. I made a few changes on the lacing panels as I didn't think the screen accurate panels were very convincing in person. Pilots wings are lithe blue from an Argentinian Ebay seller.

Jacket Nostromo.jpg

I had some trouble with my stencil, but since I was going for the "Battered Surplus" look I think its ok. I may work on that more at a later date.

Jacket Back.jpg

I'm in the process of making a crew uniform shirt, but as for now I just wanted to share my results and thank the forum members for their help.

Nice job on this. The lettering looks fine; what do you feel went wrong with it?

I made my own stencil. I should have used hairspray or something to seal the fabric before applying paint. So it ran a little after spraying the paint. I used some model paint (Model Master RAF Dark Green was a perfect match, go figure) to cover where it had ran. Then I added a few blobs of the blue just to give it a distressed look. I had wanted it to be very light, faded looking. It's not bad, bt I think I can improve it.

But next is a crew shirt.

Hello all,

There is so much information, spanning years, in this thread. If anyone has jacket lacing panel construction instructions;current resources on quality patches, decals for WY company ware, uniform clothing patterns; etc. or are willing to point me to the most significant pages (page 25 comes to mind) I would love to hear from you.

Best regards!

I'm sure it's covered on previous pages, but a quick photo instruction on the lace panels for the jackets. Fabric stores sell "cotton tape" in various widths and colors. It doesn't have an adhesive on it despite the name. I used 2" Sage Green cotton tape for the backing, and 1/2" cotton tape for the loops and edging. It looked a little drap, so I put an additional edge of 1/2" military nylon style webbing on top.The nylon is very slippery and tough to work with. Here's a close up photo:

nostromo lacing 2.jpg

Here's a photo of construction. This was a different set that I decided not to use, but it should show how it all goes together. I hand sewed all this, it took forever.

nostromo lacing.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back