Help with Naked Snake costume from MGS3

Wingman

Hey guys, I'm putting together a big boss costume and hope to get it done for fan expo in late august. This will be a sort of build thread, where I'll document the pieces I get and where I got them, and hopefully you guys can help me with some things I might not be sure about. I hope there's some metal gear buffs on here.

The only piece I have is the STABO harness which was a repro that luckily someone started offering on ebay after months of searching for one. I also found the right jungle boots and a con-safe kabar knife on amazon. I've seen tiger stripe camo and similar gloves at an army surplus place in the states, so I'll go there as soon as I get my passport renewed. I can get a throat mic at a nearby airsoft place, and maybe a gun. I need to figure out how to make a cqc knife and possibly a sheath for it, and his radio switcher. I need to track down the bags/pouches, and everything else should be easy. I'd love to get my hands on a real an/prc-90 radio but they're expensive, I'll just have to find an antennae.

Lastly, I've already started growing my beard.

If anyone's done a snake costume and have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Yay more metal gear threads! Well it's not naked snake but last month I put together a quick punished snake from the upcoming game (or venom snake as he is now called) for a con, I plan on going back and reworking a lot of it IMG_20779713200269.jpeg
Here is my thread http://www.therpf.com/f24/metal-gea...shed-snake-big-boss-costume-lots-pics-212938/
As for your build have you seen this site? Gives tons of useful information for naked snake, check it out and keep updating!
ne0ven0m's Geeky Side: Metal Gear Solid 3 Naked Snake Costume Tutorial - 99% COMPLETE

That's a nice costume, the arm looks great! That link will be useful, I've only been using this - Anatomy of a Snake
I have to make the cqc knife and I have no idea what I'm doing, I've never made a prop before. I can't seem to find any good tutorials either, any suggestions?

I used this site when I first started cosplaying Naked Snake crumahara talk » Naked Snake/Big Boss Cosplay : A*How*To some of the links are old, but if you do some searching you can find the same thing at other sellers.

Since then I've gone beyond that and then some. Here's my costume. I need to get updated pics, as well as show the progress of my Spirit Camo.

I don't see your costume, did you forget to post the link? How are you making the spirit camo? I want to somehow make the red square camo some day because it matches the red carpet of the convention centre

Nice, I wish I had the black straps for my stabo, it'd be more accurate to the game. What buttpack did you use?

The black looks great, but it was a serious PITA to work with. The only thing is could find in the right width was super heavy duty mil-spec webbing that's almost impossible to sew. I broke probably 20 needles sewing my harness together. I charge double when I make black harnesses instead of green

The butt pack is actually a messenger bag style purse that had a dumb iron cross sewn to the top flap. I found it in an army surplus store. Everything else was either too big or oddly shaped. I just took a little extra strapping from my harness remnants and sewed loops onto the back of the purse, removed the strap and the cross patch, and WALA! Perfect butt pack.

The black looks great, but it was a serious PITA to work with. The only thing is could find in the right width was super heavy duty mil-spec webbing that's almost impossible to sew. I broke probably 20 needles sewing my harness together. I charge double when I make black harnesses instead of green

The butt pack is actually a messenger bag style purse that had a dumb iron cross sewn to the top flap. I found it in an army surplus store. Everything else was either too big or oddly shaped. I just took a little extra strapping from my harness remnants and sewed loops onto the back of the purse, removed the strap and the cross patch, and WALA! Perfect butt pack.

I'll get looking in the army surplus places. I was going to use an m1961 butt pack but it doesn't look anything like snake's pack. Did you find a good radio pouch? I hope to one day get an actual an/prt-4 radio so I want a pouch that would actually fit it.

Last edited:
I'll get looking in the army surplus places. I was going to use an m1961 butt pack but it doesn't look anything like snake's pack. Did you find a good radio pouch? I hope to one day get an actual an/prc-90 radio so I want a pouch that would actually fit it.
I love wandering through the surplus stores around here. They usually have all sorts of awesome stuff that's just useful for cosplay in general. My radio pouch is one of the few pieces that isn't period correct, but it's good enough. My latest post on my thread shows it and my black M1916 holster.

Ok so I found surplus jungle boots, and I've ordered the correct(I think) repro advisor sparce tiger stripe camo and ammo pouches, I'll have pictures later. If anyone has advice how to make the radio switch box, I'd like to hear it.

What adhesive do you use to stick the layers of foam together? And did you finish it with plastidip?

I hot glued mine together, but I would use superglue/CA glue if I ever redo it. I did plastidip the whole thing, then hand painted the letters and drybrushed some weathering on.

I'm also making making my own template for the radio. The notches on the sides near the bottom are unclear though, it's hard to tell what kind of shape they are, I wish I had the hd remake. When I'm done with this, I'll put it up on deviantart or somewhere for download.
radio-work.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back