Black Series Darth Vader Helmet Mod Thread!

I would say it does. My paint job really brought this thing up a notch or two. To say it slightly resembles Vader is a bit harsh . Most people who aren't prop enthusiasts like us wouldn't see a difference. It's not accurate...no,but its damn cool. I polished my dome this afternoon and it looks like black glass.

Could someone post a 6 foot distance pic that shows the neck length? Also the dome interior that shows how the dome attaches to the mask? Much appreciated!

If no one else does i will try tonight. I wish I'd know when I took this pic of my dome after polishing. Zymol made it look like glass.

0420181822_Film1.jpg0420181824_Film1.jpg0418181729_Burst01.jpg0419181154.jpg

The BS slightly resembles Vader, nothing more. Its nice for the price but does not capture the film look of Vader.

Hmm..? The dome is a little small, the neck is short, and the face may be a little wide. Apart form that, it is instantly identifiable as Darth Vader. Dark Helmet from Spaceballs slightly resembles Darth Vader.

If you want the definitive Vader reveal, this is not the helmet you're looking for. Move along.

It's a toy, and there are many considerations beyond pure accuracy... ventilation, electronic functions, and cost being among them. For a toy... A high end toy, but a toy nonetheless, it is a commendable effort, and I think most who purchase it will be perfect happy with it. Some will be even happier once they modify it.

Last edited:
I realize the appearance is different, however I was referring to the size and shapes, (eyes, nose, other details ). Will simple upgrades and paint additions bring this closer to screen accurate?

Closer yes.But if you paint a DP standard helmet with the correct gunmetal areas you are also a step forward to the original.This sounds a little bit hard but it shows how far away the design is from the Original.And its the same with this mask...you can upgrade it to a really good looking piece of art.I also wanna do it as a funproject.
But it will never look really like the Original Reveal.If you want this,its easier to start from scratch or buying a kit with more accurate parts.

I realize the appearance is different, however I was referring to the size and shapes, (eyes, nose, other details ). Will simple upgrades and paint additions bring this closer to screen accurate?

First off let me say I applaud Hasbro for producing a low cost Vader helmet, and also those who have worked hard on them to further improve them. But as a bespoke sculpt/design, no matter what you do to it, it will always look like a comic-book style Vader - as opposed to a 'movie' Vader.

Cheers

Jez

Yes..."Comic book Vader" is the right word,Jez.
The "Rebels Reveal"..yeah!:lol

But I also know that the Rebels Vader looks complete different.;)

I started modding inside the lower jaw this morning. I put in the copper tubes for " feeding tube" things or whatever they are. I ripped out the rubber tube out put in the copper and transplanted the silver tips. I will install the braided metal sheath stuff early in the week if I have time.
Here's a pic during test fitting.
0422181148_Film1.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine over the weekend and masked/painted it.
I need to touch up some areas and paint some details that I didn't bother to mask but it looks far better already.
That said, even next to an old unmodded Rubies supreme, it looks off (not that I care, as I'm displaying it with my other Black series helmets).
IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3283.JPGIMG_3282.JPGIMG_3281.JPG

I need to touch up some areas and paint some details that I didn't bother to mask but it looks far better already.
That said, even next to an old unmodded Rubies supreme, it looks off (not that I care, as I'm displaying it with my other Black series helmets).
View attachment 811899View attachment 811898View attachment 811897View attachment 811896

Love the comparison, really illustrates the difference. I did a quick photoshop here on the BS bucket, and I really think if someone modded the dome arch above the eyes to be less pronounced, it would lose the cartoony effect and help tremendously.

Edited.jpg

I started moddijg inside the lower jaw this morning. I put in the copper tubes for " feeding tube" things or whatever they ate. I ripped out the rubber tubes and out in the copper and transplanted the silver tips. I will so the braided metal sheath stuff early in the week if I have time.
Here's a pic during test fitting.
View attachment 811699

Love where your going with this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 811899View attachment 811898View attachment 811897View attachment 811896

How does it compare when its propped at the neck so the angle is more in line with the position of the Rubies?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back