1978 Kenner Star Wars Darth Vader Costume

Wow, I wasn’t sure what I was going to see in this thread, but again WOW!! Awesome idea, and execution! You look like you just stepped out of a 1978 bubble pack!

Just finished C2E2 and had a lot of fun with this guy!

m6WD6K7.jpg

cjdRKXW.jpg

Om7ariW.jpg

Those photos are great- the dull finish of the helmet looks like the cheap plastic- just great!

What did you decide to go with for the cape material and the leather suit? Those are the most mind-boggling parts to this suit as far as I'm concerned! :eek

DUDE!! I saw you at C2E2 this past weekend and didn't have a chance to take pictures with you but was TOTALLY blown away by this costume. Bravo man! SO cool and unique.

Ok, after being out of town for a while, I finally have a bit of time to continue the build thread a bit. Let's move on to the helmet.

With the helmet, I realized I was a bit out of my depth with 3D design so I decided to start with a rough normal Vader thingiverse model and modify the heck out of it vs starting from scratch. There were a number of things I noticed that were different with the toy - some of which I did in design and some of which I did afterwards. I wasn't worried about being flawless, but I wanted that more "dopey" look of the toy and not the more menacing look of the real deal.

Comparison of real vs toy

ppj8cSz.png

You can see a lot of differences. More cone-head shape, much softer features, filled helmet shell, more open and dopey eyes, etc. I decided to catch the proportional changes in 3D while attacking the softening and filling of it later in the bondo phases.

Updated 3D Model

sNxFqhe.png

For printing, I was in a bit of a hurry and I had no idea if this would fit so my buddy Jerry Budde of the 501st printed this in fast/low quality mode just so we could find out. It took so much time to get it to print successfully that I decided to just go with it for the final helmet, which was a ton of work but saved the problem of another 100 hours of printing and a lot of money.

Original raw print

dgs3u21.jpg

From there, yeah - a lot to do. ;)

Knowing I was going clamshell style - both to fit it on my head as well as follow the slanted seam of the toy - I sliced it with a hacksaw and removed all but the outside shell layers.

XDJEhbo.jpg

aAeIpJV.jpg

Next, I ground down alot of the edges and slathered with bondo so that I could get the much softer appearance.

9GQbDoy.jpg

And then, to get that solid effect - as well as to have an easy way to connect the two helmet halves together, I filled with fiberglass bondo.

n1LkjNz.jpg

And then lots of bondo glaze to smooth out imperfections. Have I mentioned how much I hate sanding PLA, especially in deep grooves? This minimizes that.

Izi6C8w.jpg

ZwuZzmV.jpg

pEuaJ18.jpg

And now onto the back, which is much easier as I could do some minor sanding and then right to the glaze.

ioz9Aea.jpg

Y8yyiOU.jpg

h8Za4Wy.jpg

Now - here I was in a hurry and decided not to go very elegant. I used some pla support scrap and fiberglass bondo to reattach the neck piece to the helmet back to make it just strong enough without adding weight.

oytdCzD.jpg

It looks like a mess, but I really wanted to keep the weight down on an already heavy helmet. So I cut a piece of abs to close the bottom, glued it, and stuffed it with paper towel so that I would have some backing to put my fiberglass bondo against. So it's essentially hollow, but it gave me support for the bondo until it cured.

af0ZMMt.jpg

Qj1zvhN.jpg

9PT9ZDT.jpg

UX7jYuk.jpg

A8MiMh7.jpg

And then after a few rounds of sanding and re-applying, I placed rare earth magnets to hold the helmet closed while wearing. The top is anchored with heavy elastic and this holds the front to the back.

9PhlAIX.jpg

And now onto seeing how everything goes together. Alignment was a bit of a pain since there are no interlocking pieces.

9PhlAIX.jpg

od3lB0y.jpg

After a while, I get impatient and just want to see how close I am by using bondo filler spray. It fills in some imperfections and gives me a uniform look to see where I need to clean up.

cdSvBtL.jpg

Z48Aa40.jpg

More to do. I didn't capture every phase of this part, but it's the same routine of bondo glaze, sanding, priming, repeat.

Z48Aa40.jpg

So then I go to black because I think I'm getting close. Not quite though.

rlomj6u.jpg

More glaze and smoothing.

wBkOZrJ.jpg

FfrpNNb.jpg

Now I'm getting happy with it!

petPnlO.jpg

uuJSf41.jpg

HAXkmJ3.jpg

Last edited:
This is looking really cool. The helmet almost has a Ralph McQuarrie feel to it. And the whole costume is superb. I especially like how you emulated the saber insert. Clever stuff and well made. :)

Hi from NZ! Your build is bloody amazing. Any plans on sharing the 3D files?

Hello! Thanks for the kind words. The problem with the 3D files in this case is that I kinda borked the mesh a bit so they all printed super thick and I had to hack the heck out of it to get it into a workable piece, including ripping out most of the inside layers and then replacing with bondo. It was a mess so the files are pretty much garbage. On top of that, the helmet needs to be bigger. Maybe someday I'll redo them, but it's a hard costume to wear anyways so I've stuck to just repairing as I go. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back