Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

So I skipped on buying the legit one for $300 cause I was low on cash at the time.. fast forward, they now cost more than $300 on eBay, LOL.. did the official decks ever get restocked? If not, what's my next best option? Also, I'd like to actually shred this board in addition to using it as a prop >;) Cheers!

So I skipped on buying the legit one for $300 cause I was low on cash at the time.. fast forward, they now cost more than $300 on eBay, LOL.. did the official decks ever get restocked? If not, what's my next best option? Also, I'd like to actually shred this board in addition to using it as a prop >;) Cheers!
I picked up two when they were released. I have one that I skate and the other is still in the box and in shrink. Since these were produced by Madrid (and based on the screen used board) they are actually professional quality decks as opposed to the Valterra toystore decks, which were devoid of concave and flimsy. The basic gist is that the screen used deck was a Madrid deck screened with the Valterra graphics. All of that said it skates as well as any professional deck from that era. The only issue I had was with the bushings, which were far too soft . I replaced them with some independent bushings which were the same color and I was good to go.

So far as laying your hands on one, good luck. They pop up on Ebay from time to time, usually listed from $600-1K. All of the ones I have added to my watch list sold for $599-$750. I saw that coming a mile away and picked up two when they were offered. I have also seen a few of the decks go up on Ebay, but I can't recall what they sold for. If you can get ahold of the deck, Madrid has the Fly wheels up for sale on their site. If you wanted to be as close to film accurate as possible you could get a set of the cast aluminum Tracker Six Track reissue trucks, paint them black, and add the red/orange bushings. The trucks on the original were black Tracker Six Tracks, with the aluminum base plates as opposed to the Ultra light (Plastic one).

This is the last one I saw go up for sale and it went for $699
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122163129646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Does anyone here have a file of the design for the Valterra under-deck? Kind of wondering because in gonna make one from scratch. Get a board and screen print the design to the bottom of the board. And then get the stickers one by one. So I ask again if anyone has the design? If not, I'm not sure if anyone can make one? Please? I'm kinda a sucker for Marty Mcfly stuff.

I picked up two when they were released. I have one that I skate and the other is still in the box and in shrink. Since these were produced by Madrid (and based on the screen used board)
Since you have one out of the packaging would you by any chance be willing to do some measurements for me? I have scoured the internet looking for them assuming it wouldn't be that difficult to find, but alas it is. I would like to trim a Madrid explosion, since it is so close and seems to be just slightly bigger, to the exact dimensions. I could send you a photo of the measurments I would like?
I replaced them with some independent bushings which were the same color and I was good to go.
what color exactly was it?

Dream, can you tell us which exact six track trucks are the correct ones? There are four different six track trucks on Tracker's site. Thx!

I picked up two when they were released. I have one that I skate and the other is still in the box and in shrink. Since these were produced by Madrid (and based on the screen used board) they are actually professional quality decks as opposed to the Valterra toystore decks, which were devoid of concave and flimsy. The basic gist is that the screen used deck was a Madrid deck screened with the Valterra graphics. All of that said it skates as well as any professional deck from that era. The only issue I had was with the bushings, which were far too soft . I replaced them with some independent bushings which were the same color and I was good to go.

So far as laying your hands on one, good luck. They pop up on Ebay from time to time, usually listed from $600-1K. All of the ones I have added to my watch list sold for $599-$750. I saw that coming a mile away and picked up two when they were offered. I have also seen a few of the decks go up on Ebay, but I can't recall what they sold for. If you can get ahold of the deck, Madrid has the Fly wheels up for sale on their site. If you wanted to be as close to film accurate as possible you could get a set of the cast aluminum Tracker Six Track reissue trucks, paint them black, and add the red/orange bushings. The trucks on the original were black Tracker Six Tracks, with the aluminum base plates as opposed to the Ultra light (Plastic one).

This is the last one I saw go up for sale and it went for $699
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122163129646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Actually, @Dream34 and @TheRealMcFly let's see if we can have a complete list of the correct parts that need to be ordered for a deck-only:

Trucks: Either Tracker Extrack @Dream34 mentioned these as correct a few pages back, and @knightlife confirmed they seemed close) SixTrack (more recently mentioned above as what @Dream34 thinks is correct), Submodel/axle length:_________?
Truck Bolts: Black, recessed into top of board?
• Truck Nuts: Silver/Zinc locking nuts
• Bushings:
Reddish-Orange or Red? A visual match to those made by ____________?
Pivot Cups: White
Wheels: Madrid Fly wheels, originals had carved letters, re-issues are silkscreened...
Copers: White flat-bottomed made by? Z-flex? or is that just the closest that's been found so far? Correct width? "Madrid" stickers needed from Madrid to apply to the copers.
Bearings:__________?
• Grip Tape:
Madrid Flypaper Grip Tape
• Miscellaneous
info: Screw colors to apply trucks, color changes to trucks (I believe you said we'd need to paint the trucks black, right?) Are the screws that come with the trucks the right color? How are the wheels attached, and what color applies to these fasteners?

Thanks in advance for the help in nailing down this parts list.

Also, can anyone else that ordered a deck-only confirm that the deck comes pre-drilled for truck installation and/or has the Madrid stickers already added? Thanks!

Last edited:
Bushing made by Independent. Harder urethane;) Screws are easy to get: either black already or alu/steel (you'll have to paint them). The nuts have a plastic insert that keeps them from coming off the wheel. Usually, they were either transparent plastic or white (depending on the truck manufacturer, I've seen red, black or green:behave). Tracker trucks made a copping sleeve in the middle ' 70s...difficult to find:cry

Bushing made by Independent. Harder urethane;) Screws are easy to get: either black already or alu/steel (you'll have to paint them). The nuts have a plastic insert that keeps them from coming off the wheel. Usually, they were either transparent plastic or white (depending on the truck manufacturer, I've seen red, black or green:behave). Tracker trucks made a copping sleeve in the middle ' 70s...difficult to find:cry

Actually, looking back at the photos knightlife posted of the screen-used boards, the bushings look red, or at least a very reddish shade of orange. One manufacturer sells "blood-orange" bushings. The Independent orange bushings look pretty light.

EDIT: Revised my post two posts up with more info and questions.

Last edited:
I apologize for not being on here more often. I do miss it.

You have almost all of it already.

TRUCKS
Definitely Extrack axle/hanger size in the film, in black.

Problem is, the offsets are completely different on the two reissue FLY wheels. The 2010s were a match to the correct vintage, use the ExTrack axle size. The 2015 reissue rests on the axle further in, use the Six Track size. Using these combinations will result in the same distance between the wheels mounted on the hanger. The bushings are the original Tracker of the era. They are more red than orange and the cone is slightly darker than the barrel. Modern Venom bushings are nearly a match. Tracker still sells the trucks with the vintage four hole metal plates.

COPERS
Unknown Brand

They are not Trackers. Problem is a lot of copers were cut from longer segments of extruded stock, not only trimmed differently but dropped into many different 'brand' bags. I finally found a match to the film, but there are no markings. They are most like Z-flex, a 'hard' coper. However, the profile of the two are slightly different and also cut/notched differently. In the film, on the outer facing side with the sticker, the leading edge is also notched but only slightly. The width of the flat grinding surface of Z-flex is also slightly less. The film board has copers that were cut down to fit between the wheels, to about 4.5" in length.

WHEELS
With the lettering a part of the mold, these are the second generation of the FLY wheel, and what appear on the film board.

The first have the fly insect graphic molded into a narrower sidewall. The third are by Kryptonics with black lettering and plastic core. The 2010 reissues are the closest to the second generation, a near perfect match in material, color, and dimensions. The 2015 versions are harder, brighter in color and with a plastic core are a closer match to the third generation. Both reissues' overall diameter and radius sizes are the same. The sidewalls and offset are different.

HARDWARE
Unknown bearings. - The original movie board handled by so many, did anyone look?
Zinc plated axle and truck nuts.
Unknown 1/2" risers, black. The film board has a tiny step where the riser meets the truck mounting plate. Tracker brand taper flush.
1.5" truck mounting bolts, head type unknown.
Flat washers, not modern speed rings.

Problem is photos of the movie board as it is now seem to indicate that the trucks have been separated from the board at some point. You can see the impression of larger mounting hardware on grip at the top and perhaps missing risers on the bottom.

GRIP
Madrid Flypaper

STICKERS
Vintage Madrid
3D Banner (top)
Explosion, early version (bottom)
2" circle with "mfg"

Problem is there are different versions of the same graphic out there. It's also hard to tell if the stickers on the copers were printed on a clear or white vinyl.

WHY MARTY WHY?
This all comes from years of research and uneccesary eBay purchases. If you look through this thread I have images of most of the above items in here already. I already have my ingredients for my own 'final' version but if there is anyway to drive the research forward on the last few details I would like to be involved in some way. It would be great to know just a few more things.

As for bearings the ones that were popular at the time were: Sims Gold/Silver, Kryptonic, Z-System, GMN Z-T96H, or SKF, but that last one was most probably used for the European market. As for the Extrack the measurement should be 5" wheel to wheel (as the ad of the time was saying;))

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of info to digest here. Thanks so much!

It had been stated previously that the wheels used for the 2015 30th anniversary edition boards were leftover stock from the 2010 25th anniversary release. But if the offsets and construction aren't the same, that can't have been correct info. It appears that both are reproductions of the 2nd generation FLY wheels, but have screened letters as opposed to inset. So now we'll have to consider the different offsets and construction. Got it.

On the trucks, you're saying the 8.78" axle width Classic SixTracks Polished trucks (which are what is currently available on Tracker's website) put the wheels at the correct width/wheelbase for the FLY wheels used in 2015 (and most-recently put back up on their site for a time, though no there now...), and the 8" Classic Extrack Polished is more accurate in wheelbase for the 2010 FLY wheels, and also for vintage second-generation FLY wheels should some lucky soul be able to get of hold of them? Just want to verify those axle sizes. And @joberg said that there would normally be 5" between the wheels when using Classic Extracks. Can you confirm this this measurement is what you get when using the above-mentioned combinations (8.78" axle SixTracks with 2015 Fly wheels and 8" Extracks with 2010 and vintage Fly wheels)?

I just ordered some vintage white Z-flex copers, and may mold them if I have the time. They are 5.5" I believe, and so will need to be trimmed. How much of a gap should there normally be between the end of each cope and the inside of the wheel? About 1/4"? So if 5" is the correct between-wheel spacing, and that's what you end up with when using one of the above-mentioned truck/wheel combos, that's how you're arriving at 4.5" for the accurate coper length? Also, do you have pics comparing z-flex copers to the ones ou found which you think are more accurate to see the shape difference? I may be able to add/subtract material to mine prior to moulding to better match the correct ones if I had good pics to go by.

From the closeup pics @knightlife posted of the copers, it looks like only one board has a riser on one end, if I'm seeing correctly. The riser is missing on the other end, and one board looks to have no risers. That said, you can see outlines around the truck mounting plates where it looks like something was there. Can you confirm that you believe 1/2" risers were originally placed on all boards? If so, do you know of any risers that produce the small step you mention?

Tracker Trucks sells truck mounting hardware in several bolt sizes...7/8", 1", 1.25".... The bolts don't look to protruse past the nuts on the photos posted by @knightlife. Also, you mention aboe that the head types are unknown, but on p. 1 you had mentioned identifying them as truss head philips bolts. But these bolts' head are flat on the bottom, and sit on the surface of the board. Others stated that the bolts should be recessed. Can you confirm that 1.5" bolt length, that the philips head truck bolts look like they sit on top of the board, vs. being recessed? There are pics of the screen-used boards on p. 10 but I can't tell. I don't have my 30th board with me right now so I can't see what they did there.

Thanks again to both of you for trying to get these details nailed down.

I apologize for not being on here more often. I do miss it.

You have almost all of it already.

TRUCKS
Definitely Extrack axle/hanger size in the film, in black.

Problem is, the offsets are completely different on the two reissue FLY wheels. The 2010s were a match to the correct vintage, use the ExTrack axle size. The 2015 reissue rests on the axle further in, use the Six Track size. Using these combinations will result in the same distance between the wheels mounted on the hanger. The bushings are the original Tracker of the era. They are more red than orange and the cone is slightly darker than the barrel. Modern Venom bushings are nearly a match. Tracker still sells the trucks with the vintage four hole metal plates.

COPERS
Unknown Brand

They are not Trackers. Problem is a lot of copers were cut from longer segments of extruded stock, not only trimmed differently but dropped into many different 'brand' bags. I finally found a match to the film, but there are no markings. They are most like Z-flex, a 'hard' coper. However, the profile of the two are slightly different and also cut/notched differently. In the film, on the outer facing side with the sticker, the leading edge is also notched but only slightly. The width of the flat grinding surface of Z-flex is also slightly less. The film board has copers that were cut down to fit between the wheels, to about 4.5" in length.

WHEELS
With the lettering a part of the mold, these are the second generation of the FLY wheel, and what appear on the film board.

The first have the fly insect graphic molded into a narrower sidewall. The third are by Kryptonics with black lettering and plastic core. The 2010 reissues are the closest to the second generation, a near perfect match in material, color, and dimensions. The 2015 versions are harder, brighter in color and with a plastic core are a closer match to the third generation. Both reissues' overall diameter and radius sizes are the same. The sidewalls and offset are different.

HARDWARE
Unknown bearings. - The original movie board handled by so many, did anyone look?
Zinc plated axle and truck nuts.
Unknown 1/2" risers, black. The film board has a tiny step where the riser meets the truck mounting plate. Tracker brand taper flush.
1.5" truck mounting bolts, head type unknown.
Flat washers, not modern speed rings.

Problem is photos of the movie board as it is now seem to indicate that the trucks have been separated from the board at some point. You can see the impression of larger mounting hardware on grip at the top and perhaps missing risers on the bottom.

GRIP
Madrid Flypaper

STICKERS
Vintage Madrid
3D Banner (top)
Explosion, early version (bottom)
2" circle with "mfg"

Problem is there are different versions of the same graphic out there. It's also hard to tell if the stickers on the copers were printed on a clear or white vinyl.

WHY MARTY WHY?
This all comes from years of research and uneccesary eBay purchases. If you look through this thread I have images of most of the above items in here already. I already have my ingredients for my own 'final' version but if there is anyway to drive the research forward on the last few details I would like to be involved in some way. It would be great to know just a few more things.

As for bearings the ones that were popular at the time were: Sims Gold/Silver, Kryptonic, Z-System, GMN Z-T96H, or SKF, but that last one was most probably used for the European market. As for the Extrack the measurement should be 5" wheel to wheel (as the ad of the time was saying;))

I admit some of my early research and posts may not be correct. The Invaders are a great example. My logic was, Madrid used them on the 25th anniversary replicas, and it was the only way I knew of at the time to arrive the correct axle size with the 2010 reissue FLY wheel. I knew the wheels were a match all-around in dimensions because I had already purchased the correct vintage wheel, but at that time in the wrong color. Invaders were the only other skateboard truck of the era that was available in black with red/orange bushings (and even white pivot cups) in that axle/hanger size. Still a great starting point to arrive at the correct interaction and dimensions of these parts. I did not know of the Tracker Extrack size at the time and my thinking was they all had their own brand of coper that looked nothing like the generics in the movie. Read all of my posts in this thread, I believe I was still uncertain but I apologize if misled anyone.

When I finally found the correct vintage wheel in the correct color, they were what I would call 'seconds' lathed true but some slightly taller than others by only a few mms sitting flat on a table. This is how I can verify that the first reissue is the better match. My understanding is Madrid underestimated the number of Valterra completes they would need in 2015, and had another run of wheels made. They eventually listed them for sale on their site, using the 2010 image instead. When I inquired about my order they explained that the molds for the 2010 no longer existed and that the 2015 versions were as close as they could get given the timeframe. They are a harder rubber than the vintage and 2010 reissue. The brighter color may be more pleasing to some because it's a closer match to the color on the modern deck.
image.jpg

The 2015 Madrid replicas varied greatly. Early versions arrived with a more modern truck and the 2010 wheel/coper combination. The axles/hangers are too wide in this combination so the copers are not trimmed at their ends. Aesthetically, the fit looks good but technically the wheelbase is a little too wide compared to the movie board. Maybe they realized this and switched to a smaller axle size of the same black trucks. But by then they were onto the next version of the wheel, resulting in a too narrow wheelbase. A friend of mine sent the first one they received back because the front and rear axles were these two different sizes. They made good and delivered a board with Invader trucks and a fairly accurate coper. The irony is someone must have realized an accurate combination was possible because that's exactly what they advertised in their "Your board is ready..." teaser image. The wider axle with the 2015 wheel, trimmed ends on the copers. We are lucky they offered it again, but they underestimated the demand and this is the reason for all of the variation. Offering just the deck was a great value. They did an incredible job matching the correct vintage stickers.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The copers are about 4.5" perhaps only slightly wider with probably only 1/4" of material trimmed off the ends to fit between the wheels on the Extrack hanger. This is the movie board's combination. The Z Flex come the closest but rarely do you find them with the correct notch on the inside. Trim some down to the correct size, and there's not much left to grab the hanger on the ends. I believe the copers I have now match the close ups we have now. I haven't posted these yet, I'll try to get some photos up soon. I cannot comment on the exact dimensions between 2015 wheels and the SixTrack hanger because I only have Extrack.

If anyone is serious about casting copers please contact me.

I do think they are philips truss head bolts but could not say for certain, same goes for the riser pads. And the bearings. I have some risers marked Made in USA, scavenged from an old board I had but I am willing to travel to research these unknowns.

Last edited:
I admit some of my early research and posts may not be correct. The Invaders are a great example. My logic was, Madrid used them on the 25th anniversary replicas, and it was the only way I knew of at the time to arrive the correct axle size with the 2010 reissue FLY wheel. I knew the wheels were a match all-around in dimensions because I had already purchased the correct vintage wheel, but at that time in the wrong color. Invaders were the only other skateboard truck of the era that was available in black with red/orange bushings (and even white pivot cups) in that axle/hanger size. Still a great starting point to arrive at the correct interaction and dimensions of these parts. I did not know of the Tracker Extrack size at the time and my thinking was they all had their own brand of coper that looked nothing like the generics in the movie. Read all of my posts in this thread, I believe I was still uncertain but I apologize if misled anyone.

When I finally found the correct vintage wheel in the correct color, they were what I would call 'seconds' lathed true but some slightly taller than others by only a few mms sitting flat on a table. This is how I can verify that the first reissue is the better match. My understanding is Madrid underestimated the number of Valterra completes they would need in 2015, and had another run of wheels made. They eventually listed them for sale on their site, using the 2010 image instead. When I inquired about my order they explained that the molds for the 2010 no longer existed and that the 2015 versions were as close as they could get given the timeframe. They are a harder rubber than the vintage and 2010 reissue. The brighter color may be more pleasing to some because it's a closer match to the color on the modern deck.
View attachment 699999

The 2015 Madrid replicas varied greatly. Early versions arrived with a more modern truck and the 2010 wheel/coper combination. The axles/hangers are too wide in this combination so the copers are not trimmed at their ends. Aesthetically, the fit looks good but technically the wheelbase is a little too wide compared to the movie board. Maybe they realized this and switched to a smaller axle size of the same black trucks. But by then they were onto the next version of the wheel, resulting in a too narrow wheelbase. A friend of mine sent the first one they received back because the front and rear axles were these two different sizes. They made good and delivered a board with Invader trucks and a fairly accurate coper. The irony is someone must have realized an accurate combination was possible because that's exactly what they advertised in their "Your board is ready..." teaser image. The wider axle with the 2015 wheel, trimmed ends on the copers. We are lucky they offered it again, but they underestimated the demand and this is the reason for all of the variation. Offering just the deck was a great value. They did an incredible job matching the correct vintage stickers.
View attachment 700000View attachment 700001View attachment 700002

The copers are about 4.5" perhaps only slightly wider with probably only 1/4" of material trimmed off the ends to fit between the wheels on the Extrack hanger. This is the movie board's combination. The Z Flex come the closest but rarely do you find them with the correct notch on the inside. Trim some down to the correct size, and there's not much left to grab the hanger on the ends. I believe the copers I have now match the close ups we have now. I haven't posted these yet, I'll try to get some photos up soon. I cannot comment on the exact dimensions between 2015 wheels and the SixTrack hanger because I only have Extrack.

If anyone is serious about casting copers please contact me.

I do think they are philips truss head bolts but could not say for certain, same goes for the riser pads. And the bearings. I have some risers marked Made in USA, scavenged from an old board I had but I am willing to travel to research these unknowns.

Would you know why Madrid didn't use the right colored hardware? I had to get a few pieces from a skate shop and online to make the bottom parts more accurate.

Ok, here's where we're at right now with the latest info from TheRealMcFly. Let me know if any detail is missing, and if anyone has answers to anything in red.

• Trucks
    • Type/Model: Made by Tracker per Jerry at Madrid. Submodel: Extrack, in black. (Though when 2015 re-issue wheels are used, SixTracks trucks provide a more-accurate wheelbase. See "Wheels" below for more info.)
    • Board Attachment BOLTS: 1.5" Black Philips head, exact type/recessed into top of board?
    • Board Attachment NUTS: Silver/zinc-plated
    • Washers: Flat, not modern speed ring
    • Risers: Black 1/2" unknown brand
    • Center Bolt: Silver/zinc-plated What is this bolt really called?
  • Bushings
    • Color/Brand: Reddish-Orange or Red? Per TheRealMcfly: "Vintage Trackers. More red than orange and the cone is slightly darker than the barrel. Modern Venom bushings are nearly a match." They look a true red to me, despite orange being used on the re-issues. I will post a montage of pics of the real boards sowing just the bushings...
  • Pivot Cups
    • Color: White
    • Measurements: Unknown. Need to measure cavity in Extrack trucks and post back here. Will then search to see if any vintage pivot cups are available in this size in white.
  • Wheels
    • Yellow 2nd Generation Madrid Fly wheels with inset letters and _________ offset (need measurement). I can measure my 2010 wheels as used on the first 2015 boards when I have access to my board to get that offset, which TheRealMcFly said should be very close to the vintage offset. Silver/zinc-plated wheel bolts.
    • Re-issues: Screened letters as opposed to inset. Further differences are as follows:
      • 2010 Re-issues: The 2010 re-issues were used on the 2010 25th Anniversary replica boards, and leftover stock was also used on initial wave of the 2015 30th anniversary boards. They have similar internal construction as vintage. They also have a similar offset as vintage, meaning their use with Extrack trucks will result in the film-correct wheelbase of about 5" between the wheels.
      • 2015 Re-issues (also sold separately on Madrid's website in 2016 while stock remained): The 2015 re-issues were installed on the second wave of 2015 30th anniversary replica boards. Lighter in color, harder, plastic core. Higher offset, which results in them tucking further in towards the center of the board. To restore the film-correct wheelbase of 5" between the wheels, the slightly wider SixTracks trucks by Tracker must be used.
  • Copers
    • Color/Brand: White flat-bottomed made by unknown manufacturer. Vintage white Z-flex copers are very close.
    • Width: About 1/4" from each wheel. Assuming the correct wheelbase of 5" between the wheels, the copers wil be about 4.5" wide. Include "Madrid" stickers in black font on a white (or possibly clear) background.
  • Bearings
    • Unknown manufacturer. Unseen, so not important for visual purposes.
  • Grip Tape
    • Type: Madrid "Flypaper"
  • Stickers
    • Vintage Madrid
    • 3D Banner (top)
    • Explosion, early version (bottom)
    • 2" circle with "mfg"

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think they are Philips Trusshead. The variant board that Jerry Madrid has with the unusual sticker placement (maybe the one from the sneaking out deleted scene) features these and they are not recessed. Although the stickers might have changed over they years, my feeling is this board was never disassembled.
image.jpg
It appears that screen matched board has been taken apart. I question the authenticity of the hardware on that one because of an impression in the grip from a larger head bolt around the current hardware. Also wondering if any board of the era would have had anything but a Philips Trusshead. Might be worth taking a look at the bluray. I think we can rule out recessed, likely just the first ply of the deck compressing if the truck mounting bolts are over-torqued.
image.jpg

The large bolt of the truck itself is called the kingpin. I also wouldn't rule out the riser being 7/16" - 9/16" or even a metric height.

The official recipe looks great but technically speaking the pivot cup is a bushing. All bushings were simply what Tracker trucks came with from the factory at that time. I will eventually be able to make a comparison with a color reference. Mercifully, there are many aftermarket options available and I will try to find the closest match to the vintage. The white cups are the hardest part. Again, another reason Sure-Grip is a great option and what I went with initially. The cups are the correct color. The kingpin bushings are only guilty of being off a shade and all are interchangeable with Trackers, at the exact same dimensions. The pivot cups are .75" in diameter and about the same in depth. Before this post skyrockets the value on the secondary market for these... consider that only the top of the cup is exposed and that it would be easy to paint /cover the lip for the look. Consider also that you can find new old stock frequently, even if not always available. Not sure there are enough of us to drive up the price but for this specific part my advice is to not spend.

I do do not know if there is an official term for the position of the bearings in a skateboard wheel. If the board was a car I would say that all FLY wheels have a negative offset because they overlap the hanger seated on the axle. This is why the distance between the wheels is less than 5" and why the copers are trimmed at the ends to fit. The cuts on the movie board's are not neat and the fit is tight. Because many vintage wheels are lathed to remove mold flash and to guarantee a true shape, there is some individual variation on the inside of the vintage wheels that is not present on the 2010 reissue. So while the offset maybe be the same there could still be less material on the inside, removed by this QC process, even if only by microns. Certainly a detail only discussed here on the RPF. The correct distance between the wheels is somewhere around 4.625" and why the copers should be only slightly less than that. The gap between the wheels and copers is very small on the movie boards, just enough to not bite the wheel.
image.jpgimage.jpg

My only other advice would be to bump the coper stickers into the sticker section. Ages ago I tried to buy one of what I thought was a match, lost in the mail. Literally sent in a folded over segment of cracker box from Hawaii without tape on the ends.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff @TheRealMcFly. So that brings us to (revisions in BLUE, remaining questions still in RED):

• Trucks
    • Brand/Model: Tracker per Jerry at Madrid. Model: Extrack (Though when 2015 re-issue wheels are used, SixTracks trucks provide a more-accurate wheelbase. See "Wheels" below for more info.)
    • Hangar and Baseplate Color: Black
    • Board Attachment BOLTS: 1.5" Black Philips, likely non-recessed Philips trusshead (as seen on Madrid-owned "C" board)
    • Board Attachment NUTS: Silver/zinc-plated
    • Board Attachment Washers: Flat, not modern speed ring
    • Risers: unknown brand, Black, likely 1/2", but possibly anything from 7/16"–9/16"
    • Kingpin and nut: Silver/zinc-plated
  • Bushings
    • Kingpin upper (conical) and lower (cylindrical) bushings
      • Brand: likely Vintage Tracker
      • Color: Reddish-Orange or Red? Per TheRealMcfly: "Vintage Trackers. More red than orange and the cone is slightly darker than the barrel. Modern Venom bushings are nearly a match." They look a true red to me, despite orange being used on the re-issues. I will post a montage of pics of the real boards sowing just the bushings...
    • Pivot bushing:
      • Brand: likely vintage Tracker
      • Measurement: 3/4" OD X _____ length?
  • Wheels
    • Yellow 2nd Generation Madrid Fly wheels with inset letters and _________ offset (need measurement). I can measure my 2010 wheels as used on the first 2015 boards when I have access to my board to get that offset, which TheRealMcFly said should be very close to the vintage offset. Silver/zinc-plated wheel bolts. Flat washers used for wheels as well (as opposed to speed rings)?
    • Re-issues: Screened letters as opposed to inset. Further differences are as follows:
      • 2010 Re-issues: The 2010 re-issues were used on the 2010 25th Anniversary replica boards, and leftover stock was also used on initial wave of the 2015 30th anniversary boards. They have similar internal construction as vintage. They also have a similar offset as vintage, meaning their use with Extrack trucks will result in the film-correct wheelbase of about 4.625" (4 5/8") between the wheels.
      • 2015 Re-issues (also sold separately on Madrid's website in 2016 while stock remained): The 2015 re-issues were installed on the second wave of 2015 30th anniversary replica boards. Lighter in color, harder, plastic core. Higher offset, which results in them tucking further in towards the center of the board. To restore the film-correct wheelbase of 4.625" (4 5/8") between the wheels, the slightly wider SixTracks trucks by Tracker must be used.
  • Copers
    • Color/Brand: White flat-bottomed made by unknown manufacturer. Vintage white Z-flex copers are very close.
    • Width: About 1/16–1/8" from each wheel. Assuming the correct wheelbase of 4.625" (4 5/8") between the wheels, the copers will be about 4 3/8"–4 1/2" wide.
  • Bearings
    • Unknown manufacturer. Unseen, so not important for visual purposes.
  • Grip Tape
    • Type: Madrid "Flypaper"
  • Stickers
    • All are Vintage Madrid
    • Board top surface: 3D Banner
    • Board bottom surface: Explosion, early version, NOT the green Day-Glo version (top), 2" circle with "mfg" (bottom)
    • Copers: Madrid logo with white or clear background

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back