What highlander sword is the best

For me a fan of the show being able to get a screen cast handle for 300 yup all day long !
I will never understand why anyone needs a "Battle ready " . Your not a highlander this is not ancient Japan . But I guess to say its "Battle ready " wow ? to each his own but I would rather save 1,500.00 and take the Marto . I personally have owned them and the handle to me does not seem brittle at all in my opinion .

It's the same difference as owning something real and owning something fake. Both can be art and there's nothing wrong with owning either or preferring one over the other but one will always be better made/more expensive than the other. Let me put it this way, if a person is into guns but not into killing, do you really think they're going to be happy with an expensive quality made airsoft version of the favorite gun? For most I'd say no. They're not. Both look cool and both can be fired at targets but they are like apples an oranges. The same holds true for a stainless steel wall hanger sword when compared to a battle ready sword. They're just not the same. I used to own plenty of stainless steel swords and some super cheap non-stainless blades (marketed under the bogus terms of carbon steel or spring steel (all steel has carbon in it... or else it would not be steel). I enjoyed them but like a lot of collectors, I always wanted the real thing, even though I knew I would never carry around a sword or ever use one for self defense. I gave away for free all but two of my many wall hanger-ish swords as I only want the real deal now. It's just personal preference for me.

Also, in some rare cases, the price difference between a stainless steel movie replica sword and it's more well built, combat ready version is not that extreme. It usually is but in the case of Connor and Duncan's katanas, it's not. As far as I know, the Marto and UC versions of both those katanas are no longer being made. That means you are getting them used and usually for more than they originally sold for. In some cases though, you will find them on ebay for the average retail of $300. For $200 more, you can get one of those katanas from Texas Steel Props and Replicas that is of a much higher quality. That's a no brainer right there. If I had the disposable income for it, I'd own an H1 mentor for sure. That's a dream sword of mine. Again though, it's just personal preference and price range. for example, I'm perfectly happy with my $175 Graflex 3 cell replica to make a lightsaber out of and see no need for a $500 real one... but I understand why some do feel that need as I feel the opposite way regarding swords (Yeah, yeah, not the best analogy. I know.).

Last edited:
I personally would rather have something they used in the show then a rendition
no matter what blade is on it or how many phone books its can chomp into lol

Well if we are getting technical the Swords on the show only used stainless steel for the Hero shots the majority were fitted with Aluminum blades.

Adrian HATED the Marto version of the SOTD as there was a difference in the handle from Sals

Oh and my dream Kat would be a Season 1 with aluminum blade with that funky paint scheme.

Someday Darryl someday! :lol

Justice .. I offer both, screen production cast and replicas that are just as accurate.. I have a wide price range and offer a lot of choices..

Apollo, Adrain liked the SOTD he hated the official Duncan katana lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did'nt? :lol

Post a pic of that season one with the funky paint job if you can!

God I love that Kat!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451568874.359516.jpg

I received my Irishamericanlad sword the other day. Overall I am quite happy with my purchase. I requested something atypical as well. I did not like the actual movie cast sword. Before I start I want to say to each his own. If I was not friends with a guy that taught martial arts and knows way more about swords that I ever will I think a wall hanger would be fine.
IMG_28172.jpg
That is a pic if one of the movie swords. For me it was not working since you don't get many long good looks at the sword in the first place. I ended up going with a Tsuka by the guy who made the Highlander 3 sword Jose DeBraga. Although the movie does not hold the special place for me has the 1st movie I thought his work on the sword matched Ramirez (Sean Connery) description of the sword better. I found through some searching (ironically I think Irish was one of my sources before I contacted him to purchase) that Jose had post movie made a H1 Tsuka (Handle) that was never used. I wanted a more idealized version of the H1 sword rather than a film replica.

Personally the screen Katana also has some other issues I don't like. This is all nit picking so take with a grain of salt please. For example it has no Hamon since it is probably aluminium. The Hamon is that wavy line you see on a katana. It is made when clay is applied to the blade to harden some parts faster than others. This is one reason I prefer an actual sword over some wall hangers. Wall hangers use a Hamon line that is machined and very uniform. Real swords rarely have such uniformity.

IMG_2813.JPG

This is what I received. Just for the fact that I could get this piece at all I have to give Irish props I'm not sure I could get this anywhere else. I have a few small issues but for the most part nothing I can't resolve myself. Although I prefer to just buy a piece that is exactly what I want I can fix some minor issues on my own.

IMG_2832.JPG

The Tsuba or guard is in rough shape, lots of file or sanding scratches likely to get metal burrs off after cutting the hole pattern. I will wrap the handle and refinish this piece since it seems to be solid brass and is easy to work with to a brushed brass finish.

IMG_2839.JPG

The Mekugi a retaining pin that goes through the handle and Nakago or tang seems to be just a little iron hole here. I am not sure but i think I will refinish this with some plaster colored to match the handle or a brass nub. The plaster would be more accurate to the screen katana.

Lastly the Saya or sheath is a black lacquer finish, nothing wrong with it and it most likely came with the blade which according to irish is from Ronin katana. I would have paid to have the red leather Saya used in the movie which I know he makes but this detail was not covered in our communications.

Overall I am very happy with it and especially with the uniqueness of the piece I am a pleased Highlander fan.

I received my Irishamericanlad sword the other day. Overall I am quite happy with my purchase. I requested something atypical as well. I did not like the actual movie cast sword. Before I start I want to say to each his own. If I was not friends with a guy that taught martial arts and knows way more about swords that I ever will I think a wall hanger would be fine.
View attachment 573052
That is a pic if one of the movie swords. For me it was not working since you don't get many long good looks at the sword in the first place. I ended up going with a Tsuka by the guy who made the Highlander 3 sword Jose DeBraga. Although the movie does not hold the special place for me has the 1st movie I thought his work on the sword matched Ramirez (Sean Connery) description of the sword better. I found through some searching (ironically I think Irish was one of my sources before I contacted him to purchase) that Jose had post movie made a H1 Tsuka (Handle) that was never used. I wanted a more idealized version of the H1 sword rather than a film replica.

Personally the screen Katana also has some other issues I don't like. This is all nit picking so take with a grain of salt please. For example it has no Hamon since it is probably aluminium. The Hamon is that wavy line you see on a katana. It is made when clay is applied to the blade to harden some parts faster than others. This is one reason I prefer an actual sword over some wall hangers. Wall hangers use a Hamon line that is machined and very uniform. Real swords rarely have such uniformity.

View attachment 573067

This is what I received. Just for the fact that I could get this piece at all I have to give Irish props I'm not sure I could get this anywhere else. I have a few small issues but for the most part nothing I can't resolve myself. Although I prefer to just buy a piece that is exactly what I want I can fix some minor issues on my own.

View attachment 573078

The Tsuba or guard is in rough shape, lots of file or sanding scratches likely to get metal burrs off after cutting the hole pattern. I will wrap the handle and refinish this piece since it seems to be solid brass and is easy to work with to a brushed brass finish.

View attachment 573085

The Mekugi a retaining pin that goes through the handle and Nakago or tang seems to be just a little iron hole here. I am not sure but i think I will refinish this with some plaster colored to match the handle or a brass nub. The plaster would be more accurate to the screen katana.

Lastly the Saya or sheath is a black lacquer finish, nothing wrong with it and it most likely came with the blade which according to irish is from Ronin katana. I would have paid to have the red leather Saya used in the movie which I know he makes but this detail was not covered in our communications.

Overall I am very happy with it and especially with the uniqueness of the piece I am a pleased Highlander fan.

Question do you mind asking what you paid? Also the guard looks very ruff no offense. What was the reason or explanation for this did you get a discount ? What kind of handle is that ?

Question do you mind asking what you paid? Also the guard looks very ruff no offense. What was the reason or explanation for this did you get a discount ? What kind of handle is that ?

The Tsuba is in rough shape I agree, thats why I mentioned it. That is probably the biggest issue with the sword in my opinion. No there was no reason given but I did not ask either since I dont think its a big issue. Also, I just received it the other day. That is a part I believe I can fix on my own so I consider it a inconvenience on my time only. It would be easy and only take me an hour if it were not already attached. In the end I think I can turn it around when I am done I will re-post an update.

As far as I know I didn't get a discount it was not mentioned, nor expected, or asked for as I mentioned earlier I wanted a unique handle that was not a screen match for the H1. Fankly, I was suprised I could even find what I wanted. I wont post my cost but I felt it was resonable for what I was requesting. Irish seems to be the market for handmade highlander swords as he can be found posting in every thread on the subject he lists costs in some not in others.

The handle is one made by Jose DeBraga. I mention above he made the sword for Highlander 3. What I heard was he made the handle for a project that never got off the ground and was his interpretation of the original sword.

IMO heavy on the opinion here :) but I have Highlander 1 on Bluray and honestly there are few good close shots of the sword in the movie anyways. It seems you really have to be a knowledgeable fan of the movies it seems to know what I have isn't from the movie so far its fooled my friends and again IMO it looks much nicer hanging on the wall than the actual cast (which I included a shot of 1st pic in the previous post). To each his own I Fully respect a purist who is after screen cast. Most of my props are from newer movies and I like 100% screen acuraccy as well.

So here is the deal.. Because this seems to be a trend as of late.. People want screen accurate or as close to possible, and I used to polish the tsubas outer ring and inner parts.. To almost glass.I would spend hours and hours on it, and usually the customer didn't want such refinement in the tsuba as it would take away from the idea of the screen used with years of battle damage, so what I decided to do was clean up and make the outer ring an even grind and do a rough grind of the top and bottom.. Then file down the inside some to keep the edges less rough... Usually there's not an issue as that's basically the film look.. But In the last 2 days there have been 2 separate 'concerns' about this exact thing.. And I'll offer the same reply I did to my other client, I'll take back the sword and tear it apart, make a new handle and polish out the tsuba like I used to, without any more accrued costs... The hole is indeed a rolled steel pin, and I used to add the putty to cover it however that also wan an issue for some ... Also the saya wrapping is fairy easy and can be done pretty quickly.. No issues or any problem on my side ... However as a guy who toils hard to make exactly what the customer wants... As much info as anyone can fit into an order will be best all around :)

I understand on the Tsuba and can see having looked at the screen accurate ones how that decision came to be (the original in my thread from the film looks like a car hit it lol). I want to stress in both my original post and its followup this is a MINOR issue for me. Don't sweat it man. :) It wasn't something we discussed and it wasn't something I even thought of discussing lol. I am pretty sure I can clean it up on my own and I was asking for a non standard sword. The hole is also something I think I can fix on my own should I even decide to display it facing that way.

I am a little more confused on a the Saya though originally I thought it just didn't come with what I ordered for some reason but the other things you listed you do for screen accuracy why not the Saya? I have seen some of the pictures of your Saya and they are really nice looking.

Don't take one comment that was focused on one of the issues I listed out of context I hope you read my whole review. I was suprised and pleased I could even get DeBragga's Tsuka and am happy with the sword. I wanted to do a thorough review of the piece since I was asked.

So here is the deal.. Because this seems to be a trend as of late.. People want screen accurate or as close to possible, and I used to polish the tsubas outer ring and inner parts.. To almost glass.I would spend hours and hours on it, and usually the customer didn't want such refinement in the tsuba as it would take away from the idea of the screen used with years of battle damage, so what I decided to do was clean up and make the outer ring an even grind and do a rough grind of the top and bottom.. Then file down the inside some to keep the edges less rough... Usually there's not an issue as that's basically the film look.. But In the last 2 days there have been 2 separate 'concerns' about this exact thing.. And I'll offer the same reply I did to my other client, I'll take back the sword and tear it apart, make a new handle and polish out the tsuba like I used to, without any more accrued costs... The hole is indeed a rolled steel pin, and I used to add the putty to cover it however that also wan an issue for some ... Also the saya wrapping is fairy easy and can be done pretty quickly.. No issues or any problem on my side ... However as a guy who toils hard to make exactly what the customer wants... As much info as anyone can fit into an order will be best all around :)

... does not exist. Nor do any sequels exist of the Highlander movie. Anyone who says different is a commie terrorist. ;) Holds hands over ears and says "lalalalalalalala!"
So true.

The serie with adrian paul is more in memory for the time I was young and I admit, his sword handle has a better look ( the one with metal collar)

The says is in itself a completely different animal, the saya has to modified by chiseling out the kozuka knife slot, then has to be wrapped in leather and hand stitched then all the fittings have to be cast in silicon bronze .. Usually about 300 extra depending on how much the saya has to be modified ..

Here are a few of the polished tsubas I used to do and a screen accurate 1:1 masamune I made for Adam savage .. He wanted more polished and less battle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451916518.352639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451916527.237701.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451916536.075541.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451916548.481524.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back