Amazon's The Expanse

Re: SyFy's The Expanse

Can anyone screen grab some of the scenes that feature the Martian Military Uniforms for me please? Thanks so much!

David

You mean the officers' uniforms, not the space suits?

What was that pill the Martian interrogator was taking supposed to do? Was that giving him psychic powers or something? That wasn't immediately clear to me.

Attachments

• 151207_2949752_The_Expanse___Sneak_Peek___Season_1__Episode_3000x1688_581523523810.jpg
    151207_2949752_The_Expanse___Sneak_Peek___Season_1__Episode_3000x1688_581523523810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 259
  • 151210_2952349_Inside_The_Expanse__Episode_3_1100x620_583838787563.jpg
    151210_2952349_Inside_The_Expanse__Episode_3_1100x620_583838787563.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 179
  • mcrn-min-2.jpg
    mcrn-min-2.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 246

You mean the officers' uniforms, not the space suits?

What was that pill the Martian interrogator was taking supposed to do? Was that giving him psychic powers or something? That wasn't immediately clear to me.

I'm thinking it had something to do with being able to detect if the suspect was telling a lie. Like heightened senses or something. I think the information he had was just from a really good intel network. I can see how being able to tell, just by watching someone, if they were lying or not would be a pretty friggen useful skill as an interrogator.

I've watched the 4 episodes and REALLY enjoyed it. it gives me a bit of a Total Recall vibe, but not a replication of it.

I also like that the suites, especially the helmets, are very well done ( DAVIDYR1 ). I enjoy that the actor can keep the helmet on, with the faceplate, and we can still see what's going on and their reactions and such. Not where you have to remove the faceplate. Gave some very nice "feelings" with the set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also assuming it's something for focus/concentration. Like taking a pill to make you a perfect Jack Brynes from Meet the Parents. Lol

Obscure prop: The tool that Miller used to get the data thing out of the dead guys leg was stored in a Systainer. It looked to have a green latch making it a Festool. The art director probably saw one of the carpenters with one. http://www.amazon.com/Festool-49756...7UIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451587257&sr=8-1

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Thanks for ID'ing that. Good lord, those are expensive. Why is nothing on this show cheap? If it is / was cheap, it's out of production. They do look cool, though. The coroner has a taller one, but I think we might be seeing the back side of it.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 204
  • shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 169

Thanks for ID'ing that. Good lord, those are expensive. Why is nothing on this show cheap? If it is / was cheap, it's out of production. They do look cool, though. The coroner has a taller one, but I think we might be seeing the back side of it.

-MJ
They come in a few heights. If you think the cases are expensive you should see what the tools go for.

There are still six episodes left to air of season one. Looking forward to more!

If you've not read the books definitely give them a shot.

There are still six episodes left to air of season one. Looking forward to more!

Hey, I know you! I was just looking at your drawings of the ships & what-not...

...So, that's your MacArthur I saw on Starship Modeler a million years ago? That's very nice.

I read "Drive" online a few days ago. Thought it was pretty good. http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/prequel.php

Was up 'til 3 am last night, recreating the "Beratnas Gas" logo which we're going to see soon, from limited references...

Guys who have read the novels, is that a reference to something specific or did they make it up for the show? I can't find any pre-show 'fan art' for it like I can for the Roci, or the OPA. Is it something spelled backwards, or what?

-MJ

H
Guys who have read the novels, is that a reference to something specific or did they make it up for the show? I can't find any pre-show 'fan art' for it like I can for the Roci, or the OPA. Is it something spelled backwards, or what?

-MJ

Redownloaded to my kindle and did a search. Couldn't find the reference in the first two books.

Pūr & Kleen in the book as Pur'n'Kleen, but I like the little changes and details bits they've added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for checking.

It seems "James Corey" is in unusually close collaboration with the show. That's good to know.

-MJ

I'm torn. On one hand I want to read them at the end of the season to see what details were left out. On the other hand I do not want spoilers for next season.

Edit: Bought the first book but I'll wait until the end of the season to read it.

Last edited:

Thank you for checking out my site, Mike!

That was my MacArthur - and it's still on my shelf. Someday I'd like to turn it into a kit.

Leviathan Wakes (the Book) really got me going on drawing spaceships again. Just loved this book series. As to Beratnas Gas I don't recall specifically where it came from, although the concept behind the short story Drive is mentioned a few times - which makes it all the more fun to read the short story. I'd assume the name Beratnas Gas is some flavor of belter-speak. Logos for the OPA, MCRN, etc. are talked about quite a bit.

So I'm new to The Expanse, both the books and the TV series, but I'm hooked. Especially the vision of the Martians- from their unified society to the utterly-badass MCRN.

I wonder if anyone has considered doing a build of one of the MCRN Marines from the Donnager? Those were some of the most thoughtful and detailed space-combat ensembles I'd seen in movies, TV or video games in the last five years.

Haven't read the books, but I'm all caught up on the show, and I'm loving it. I love a good mystery story where the writers don't spoon-feed you what's going on. The writers here seem to believe that their viewers are smart enough to pick up on things, including just having them speak in Belter language without subtitles, putting the onus on the actor to convey the meaning of what they are saying.

I like that it's hard sci-fi and that the tech is useful without being pretty. So often you see a piece of tech where they prettify it up by adding pointless lights and useless sounds to it just to show the audience that it's currently doing what it's supposed to (kinda like my biggest pet peeve of someone hanging up on a landline and the other end hears a dial tone or a busy signal, neither of which would be there in reality, but are still used because they think that we the audience are too stupid to realize they hung up).

The MCRN suits are the highlight of the show from a costuming perspective for me; it's really exciting to see an RPF member was directly involved! I watched the Donnager scenes repeatedly just to soak in the realism of the MCRN armor.

I was trying to figure out what kind of helmet you guys used as a base for the MCRN helmet/mask? Was it an original design or did you use a commercially-available helmet and build from there?

Also, was the backpack/oxygen supply a separate piece of equipment from the chest plate? Or was it integrated into it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back