ASM2 lens options? Sewn on?

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a face shell with magnetic lenses, but to me it makes my head look too big and it seems cumbersome.

Do some guys not use a shell?

what kind of lenses could be used if you didn't?

I use a shell, but my lenses are glued onto my mask. I would definitely not try to sew the lenses on, that would probably end badly.

Yeah, glue makes more sense for sure.

Perhaps I need to look into a better face shell? Do they vary in sizes. Who offers one that's more on the small side?

By definition, the ASM2 suit used these plastic lens right? I guess I could go with different lens but they all seem to be plastic.

Going with another style would change it from the ASM2 look to something totally different I guess.

Here's a pic without the shell and lens. I think it looks pretty good without the shell but I'm a noob.

And another pic with shell/lens...

To me, the shell makes his head (it's my teenage son) look big.

No shell looks more natural?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
Yeah, I know about pulling it down. :D...we figured that out after awhile. Haha

the first pic with magnetic lens is with the shell...2nd pic is no shell

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks man!...that looks really good...I'll track one down and try it

I need to read through your build threads...they look informative

Question: Do most people use magnets for the eyes? Or do some guys glue them on? What's the preference?

Also...is there any trick to cutting out the "eye holes" that you look though? I assume keep them small?

Magnets really are far and away the best approach if you're going with a faceshell. If you go with glue, you've "married" your lens to your mask and that means if you ever decide to upgrade/replace your mask, you have to replace the lens too (or go through the messy task of tearing the lenses off the mask, leaving you with lots of hardened residue on the underside of the lens that'll be a nightmare to cleanly remove).

But a magnet/faceshell combo means you can switch out masks with ease (as I've done, going through numerous mask prototypes). It also allows you more freedom to re-adjust the placement of the lens on the faceshell if you wanna make them higher/lower.

TIP:
1. Glue rare earth magnets along the underside of your lens (E6000 works great, but the fumes bother some people; I'd imagine hot glue would be a good choice too). The flatter the magnet, the better, but don't go *too* small or the holding power will be weaker.

2. Once the glue on the lens is dry, hold the lens against your faceshell and find the best position. Holding the lens in place with one hand, take some loose magnets with the other hand and put them inside your faceshell until they "find" their mates and click in place. Now you can move/slide the lens around on the faceshell until you find the perfect position that you're happy with. Once you're happy, you can dab glue over the magnets inside the faceshell to hold them in place. You can also tape them into place with packaging tape if you want a less permanent placement if, say, you still haven't made your mind up for the final placement.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back