Don Post C-3po

Don thanks for the reply, very informative,
But did they not make a new one for ep 3?
I thought they made a new version for that with sharper details, did they not restore the old one before ep 3 came out.

I recal seeing a news articel with photos of a female restoring the old original.

Another thing. For ANH. It looks like in allot of the shots that Anthony only were a pant on the front with open back.

Regarding the rubber suits.... (Stunt Suits) That version looks different from the C3PO as we know. It looks more chubby, in fact it has similarities to the Disney. Is it possible the disney is partially cast of the stunt / rubber version.

Here are some photos of our interpertation of the protocoldroids.
_and_R_3PO_upper_body_Light_in_eyes..gif

70_K_3PO_and_R_3PO_lifesize_Complete.gif

COMP_R_3PO_full_phose_1.gif

COMP_R_3PO_Upper_body_left_side.gif

C3PO_DESERT_VERSION_TMP_G.C.P.D.V..gif

ble_chromed_front_light_in_eyes_comp.gif

C3PO_dubble_chromed_2_back_comp.gif

O_dubble_chromed_unit._HEY_OVER_HERE.gif

C3PO_dubble_chromed_arm_phose_1.gif

C3PO_dubble_chromed_from_bottom.gif

C3PO_Dubble_chromed_from_top.gif

Just got a question from someone. These photos are not from a ,Disney, Don Post or a Golden Armor.
This is our own version. And its not sourced from any of these.

Attachments

• _and_R_3PO_upper_body_Light_in_eyes..gif
    _and_R_3PO_upper_body_Light_in_eyes..gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 61
  • COMP_R_3PO_Upper_body_left_side.gif
    COMP_R_3PO_Upper_body_left_side.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 67
  • COMP_R_3PO_full_phose_1.gif
    COMP_R_3PO_full_phose_1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 70_K_3PO_and_R_3PO_lifesize_Complete.gif
    70_K_3PO_and_R_3PO_lifesize_Complete.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 57
  • C3PO_DESERT_VERSION_TMP_G.C.P.D.V..gif
    C3PO_DESERT_VERSION_TMP_G.C.P.D.V..gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 75
  • ble_chromed_front_light_in_eyes_comp.gif
    ble_chromed_front_light_in_eyes_comp.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 65
  • C3PO_dubble_chromed_2_back_comp.gif
    C3PO_dubble_chromed_2_back_comp.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 57
  • O_dubble_chromed_unit._HEY_OVER_HERE.gif
    O_dubble_chromed_unit._HEY_OVER_HERE.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 52
  • C3PO_dubble_chromed_arm_phose_1.gif
    C3PO_dubble_chromed_arm_phose_1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 64
  • C3PO_Dubble_chromed_from_top.gif
    C3PO_Dubble_chromed_from_top.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 76
  • C3PO_dubble_chromed_from_bottom.gif
    C3PO_dubble_chromed_from_bottom.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Come to think of it, I read an interview with AD somewhere in which he said the Ep 3 suit had been modified to give him a little more room in the throat area. Don? :)

"They" would be me...and no, we didn't make a new one...I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was one of the ESB suits. Not sure what photo you saw, but four women helped clean up the two suits: Carol Bauman, Randy Ottenberg, Melanie Walas and Zeynep Selcuk. There was a photo of Zeynep painting some details on the hands...perhaps that is what you refer to. More recently, a conservator at the Smithsonian was attempting to stabilize the deterioration of their suit and a news article made the rounds about that process.

For the Ep3 suits, we made a few modifications: the chest would dig into Anthony's belly (down by the big circle detail), so we slit the chest along it's sides and hinged it out by about 3/8". We also made a new wire mid-section using molded silicone and rubber wires to make it more comfortable, and I cut new neck pieces to give Anthony a little more room near his throat. And we sliced up the hands to articulate them, as we did with the Ep2 hands. Except for the aforementioned brass fingers for ANH, the hands were a glove made from some type of flexible plastic, and he couldn't articulate the fingers.

The ANH trunks were a front and back of vacuum formed plastic, and perhaps at times he wore only one side...I don't know, as I didn't work on that one (I was just a kid!!).

As to the rubber suits: That could be a result of the material. I was present when the fiberglass suits that Disney molded returned to the archives. I doubt they would have used those as reference.

-Don

Don thanks for the reply, very informative,
But did they not make a new one for ep 3?
I thought they made a new version for that with sharper details, did they not restore the old one before ep 3 came out.

I recal seeing a news articel with photos of a female restoring the old original.

Another thing. For ANH. It looks like in allot of the shots that Anthony only were a pant on the front with open back.

Regarding the rubber suits.... (Stunt Suits) That version looks different from the C3PO as we know. It looks more chubby, in fact it has similarities to the Disney. Is it possible the disney is partially cast of the stunt / rubber version.

Here are some photos of our interpertation of the protocoldroids.

The parts that attach to one another technically would not fit with an original, though one certainly could use the arms from one suit and the chest from another. Grant was the same height as Anthony, but his legs were shorter and body longer, so the major modification was in the legs. We cast the parts off of existing suits, and modified those directly.

There are enough parts for one complete ANH suit in the archives...I think. I know there was a head with the dent, a chest, the trunks and hands. The other parts were probably used, as they didn't need major modifications.

By the way, if any of you run into Anthony at a convention (or anywhere else), don't bring up the fact that others played his character...it doesn't sit well with him.

--Don

Wow, so the TC-14 suit has never appeared on film as 3PO. Interesting!

Since it was made for Grant, I take it the parts would not be interchangeable with proper 3PO suits? How was it made? Were new (or old) 3PO parts cast and modified then cast again?

Are there any ANH suits or components left?

Thanks for the info Don. And yes.. the articel you reffer to is the one i read. it was a nice aricle with nice photos.

But you guys must have rechromed it for ep 3. Because the earlier version was not that perfect.
I also se that on the photos that was taken for the restoration, i really liked that article.

I personally think the Don Post is to clean chromed. :) To shiny for my taste :)

.. I feel like a kid now :lol:thumbsup

Last edited:
Yes, we did rechrome the two suits for Ep3--George specifically wanted the suit as clean as possible. He joked that this would be the only time you'd see 3P0 in his natural habitat as a protocol droid. And the Smithsonian still has the suit they discuss in the article--and they will not be rechroming. That was not used in the filming, and they've had that suit in their possesion for over 20 years.

And by the way, the Ep3 suits do not have a silver leg...these two suits were all gold.

Thanks for the info Don. And yes.. the articel you reffer to is the one i read. it was a nice aricle with nice photos.

But you guys must have rechromed it for ep 3. Because the earlier version was not that perfect.
I also se that on the photos that was taken for the restoration, i really liked that article.

I personally think the Don Post is to clean chromed. :) To shiny for my taste :)

.. I feel like a kid now :lol:thumbsup

Last edited:
This is so fantastic. I'm gettin the popcorn and see if i can remember any of the many questions i have hope you don't mind;-) I'm in awe right now.

I'm going off to Brussels today for--what else?--a Star Wars exhibit. Not sure if I'll get to check these boards much, so don't think I'm ignoring you guys if you don't get any answers.

--Don

This is so fantastic. I'm gettin the popcorn and see if i can remember any of the many questions i have hope you don't mind;-) I'm in awe right now.

Don, Are you comming to Sweeden this summer with the Star Wars Exebition. I heard they will display all the parts in sweeden because the location got room for all the parts. I also heard they did not have room for the entire exibit in London so this will be bigger and they will display more items on this evnt in sweeden than they have shown before.

I heard romours that maybe George Lucas will be there at the opening..
It whould be great to have you there. :)

I'm bumping this thread because its fantastic, and also because I'm 3d printing a threepio and will prob need to come back to it alot.

And also because its old, 10 years old :)

Thats great @fraaank :)

I'm assuming you already had the gold bits? Are these the files from thingiverse?
yes arms, legs and shorts from thingiverse..but have chest ect from thingiverse too, but on pic are fibreglas stuff from a friend..i think helmet is better when take a fibreglas head. but rest is good to use..

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back