Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Just went a second time with my two teenaged boys. They both loved it. I feel about the same as I did on first viewing. I do have to revise my estimation of the soundtrack. At first I had said it was forgettable, but on a repeat viewing, consciously paying attention to it...it's really quite interesting at times. I like the Ennio Morricone spaghetti western flavor in some bits.

You'll be vindicated if a couple more bomb. One isn't enough to Disney, but multiple will cause a regime change for sure.
Unfortunately your right however, I think her issues started already with TLJ. Sure it didn't bomb, but it underperformed from its projections and it had the largest first to second weekend box office dollar drop in history. That along with dividing of the fan base and doing similar if not more damage to the SW name than the prequels did. Surely Disney is keeping tabs on this as well as Solo bombing. I would like to see KK gone but I think E9 would have to fail or do bad at the BO before anything like that would happen.

Well having read up this afternoon on how and why Maul would appear in the Solo Movie, i have a theory ................................ the introduction of Maul (which i now conceed to be true) is actually setting up the antagonist for the Obi Wan stand alone movie .....................
Except they already had this showdown in Rebels. Normally I's day they wouldn't care about what happen in a cartoon in making a movie, but everything that informed Maul's appearance in Solo was based on material fromTCW/ Rebels-- his robot legs, his lightsaber, his growing criminal organization, etc.
with that in mind then, IMHO he has no place in a Han Solo story if it were to continue
I agree! At first I was all "OMG COOL!" Then I was like "Wait whaaaaaat?"
When we see him in rebels he is broken and desperate with his hatred for Ben as bad as ever, someone has to break him.
Couldn't they meet again as long as it wasn't on Tatooine?

That last bit is what I think his arc in these movies -- be they sequels to Solo or the Fett/Kenobi standalones or both or whatever -- will be: How he goes from clawing his way back from Sidious' smackdown toward the end of Clone Wars and Son of Dathomir to this to the broken wreck Obi-Wan puts out of his misery. I have a feeling Qi'ra might play a role in that...

Having Han a good guy from the beginning undermined his arc in Star Wars.

I feel like we're only seeing the beginning of that. He goes from a trusting but streetwise urchin to learning hard lessons of betrayal from both Beckett and Qi'ra. By the end of this film he's been stung bad twice now. Depending on what happens over the course of potential sequels (or just the next decade of his life in general) I can easily see it shaping him into that "I can only count on me... and Chewie" guy we met in Mos Eisley.

There is no doubt that the previous three SW movies also openned in a vacuum of competition. No other studio used to risk it.

So Solo is the first to really go up against other big hitters. The BO takes for Deadpool 2 at $42 million and Infinity War near $18 million. Thats a potential $60 million that MIGHT have gone to Solo had nothing else been showing this weekend. Infinity War also came out in China on 11th May but its still a crushing "bu" (no) to another SW movie.

We tend to see this every summer where the big blockbusters crowd out the schedule. There are always one or two good movies that simply don't gain the interest of the general cinema goers and don't perform as expected, though I grant nobody was expecting a SW movie to be the one.

And its not really a bomb, its a failure only interms of the other SW movie performances and the hugely inflated costs of reshooting it. For a sci fi movie its a good take and as Bryan points out perhaps word of mouth may give it some longer term returns at the BO, there is nothing really out until " Jurassic World 2".

And I would point out to everybody who has said the other films are "already happening". NO, they are already "under development". Which means they can be cancelled anytime before the movie moves into production for whatever reason if the company doesn't believe they are going to worth the investment.
They can produce profitable "Boba Fett" and "Obi wan" movies if they keep the budget tight and the production costs low as possible (as well as make the films good and don't release them next to a Marvel movie, and only shoot them the once).

As regards the calls for KKs head, I think Solo showed that they honestly tried to make a great SW film that appealed to the old OT fans and it very nearly almost succeeded perfectly. If you look at the poll scores here then hell, its a hit, it didn't just impact on the surface.The huge majority of us liked it.

Given the investment Disney and Lucasfilm has in SW I don't EVER think they will ever stop making them, I didn't say that at all. I just think this head long rush into producing so much of it so suddenly is counter productive. Outside of the fandom there just doen't seem to be the interest in space westerns (look at "Serenity" s performance ) when there are so many other different choices across so many forms of entertainment these days.

Last edited:
I'm still -- thirteen years later -- mightily peeved at George for borking his own timeline. The shift from Republic to Empire was originally supposed to be so gradual, no one realized it was happening until it was too late. The parallel drawn was to how Julius declared himself Emperor, and the progression from that up to how Octavian/Augustus expanded and militarized it.

Except that never happened, Julius Caesar never delcared himself Emperor or anything else and the Senate never declared him Emperor either. The closest he became to Emperor or King was being granted the tile of Dictator for Life and that was it. Had he not been assasinated and set off and successfully completed his planned Parthian campaign then he might have come back from and actually became Emperor, which was precisely the reason why Caesar was assasinated when he was.

Except that never happened, Julius Caesar never delcared himself Emperor or anything else and the Senate never declared him Emperor either. The closest he became to Emperor or King was being granted the tile of Dictator for Life and that was it. Had he not been assasinated and set off and successfully completed his planned Parthian campaign then he might have come back from and actually became Emperor, which was precisely the reason why Caesar was assasinated when he was.

I was going for oversimplified, and in Star Wars terms. We remember Julius as "the first Roman Emperor", even if he wasn't, because of the way he was consolidating power in his hands versus how things had been done before. I was trying, while half-asleep, to say that Palpatine is basically Julius and Augustus merged.

I finally got out to see it Saturday, and I have to agree with everyone... It's not as bad as everyone expected it would be. It's not the best film ever, Star Wars or otherwise, but I didn't walk out of the theater feeling cheated in any way.

Gotta love Hollywood math though. A profitable film that doesn't meet earning expectations is a failure.

Its only made around $140 Million worldwide so far so it has around another $160 Million to go yet before it becomes profitable. That worldwide total is still way below the initial Disney estimate for just the US market on opening so its tracking as a failure at this point. The second week will determine that in the long run.

It failed. It didn't fail because of Star Wars fatigue nonsense, it failed because people are sick of the lack of quality in the recent films. I hope it goes to DVD/Blu Ray soon and I hope that they learn that just because you slap Star Wars on something, doesn't guarantee it'll be good. You have to work to make it good. I'm no fan of the prequels, they are pretty lousy, but Lucas was a great idea guy. They should have kept him involved in the stories and we would have gotten something better. The problem with Lucas is, specificaly with the prequels, is he was surrounded by people that didn't want to say no to him. The original trilogy didn't go that way. Kathleen Kennedy needs to go.

I voted "It was good. Liked it very much". Wasn't quite in the great category, but given all the bad buzz surrounding it I was expecting a total trainwreck and came out pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it. I still don't think Emilia Clarke can act in movies(she was awful in this and the Terminator reboot), Bettany was a very weak "villain" if you can even call him that and everything after the Kessel Run was a little underwhelming except for the Maul reveal. Still a very enjoyable flick that probably could have been even better if they had taken the time to tweak it instead of rushing to meet the May release date.

Watching with my kids, where Q'ira and fembot are having a Sex in the City gab session about how Lando and the appliance can screw made me want to blow my head off. THAT crap needs to go away. Deadpool can do that, it's modern and raunchy and irreverent. Star Wars is innocent and wide eyed and child-like. They need to start making these movies PG again, and they need to make them an escape from the real world and its issues, rather than tainted by it.

Its only made around $140 Million worldwide so far so it has around another $160 Million to go yet before it becomes profitable. That worldwide total is still way below the initial Disney estimate for just the US market on opening so its tracking as a failure at this point.

I get that Solo might not turn a profit, but I was speaking more in general terms.

Watching with my kids, where Q'ira and fembot are having a Sex in the City gab session about how Lando and the appliance can screw made me want to blow my head off. THAT crap needs to go away. Deadpool can do that, it's modern and raunchy and irreverent. Star Wars is innocent and wide eyed and child-like. They need to start making these movies PG again, and they need to make them an escape from the real world and its issues, rather than tainted by it.
Although I do agree that these need to be pg. Absolutely.

But t I loved that scene.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back