Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Edit: Gah I'm always replying to the wrong page. I

'm really interested in the Fett, may have to go track one down in town today.

If you look it up on target.com it will tell you which stores in your area have it in stock

I'm not positive that works with these, pretty sure but not positive that the 4 helmets all use the same SKU. I tried Sunday and stores I know didn't have Fett would show low stock when I physically checked it was a Kylo or a trooper.

It worked for me today. My store showed it in stock, but nothing on the shelves. I asked a guy working there, he pulled it up in the system and said "looks like we have one in the back". Went to the back, opened up a box, and pulled one out.

2 questions.

-What kinda paint are you guys gonna use to paint them?

-what are you guys gonna use for lenses?
I'll probably go the rattlecan route, specifically Rustoleum, as that brand has never let me down. As far as lenses go, I'm hoping someone does a run of bubble lenses. Otherwise I'll use a cannibalized welding shield.

2 questions.

-What kinda paint are you guys gonna use to paint them?

-what are you guys gonna use for lenses?

I plan to make some bubble lenses most likely for the trooper. Not sure how I'm going to tackle Kylo. May stick a visor in there just for funsiez. Motorcycle lens for Fett most likely.

Stormtrooper paint will be a rattle can white and black, and an automotive gloss. I'm thinking I may cut out the grill and put in a new one painted black with some mesh behind. Should give the correct look, while also staying very breathable.

Kylo.. well, I designed a very unique metal painting technique a few years ago and I will likely use that in combination with some IST products and an enamel black. I don't think a lot of people have realized the "Mouth guard" is actually a metallic base with black splattered over top. It isn't solid black.

Boba Fett... A month or so of my life masking and painting. Probably won't go super accurate color wise but I hope to get close.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself now. They still need to arrive, and once I have them it will probably take an afternoon or two to fiberglass all three.

Last edited:
Good ideas.

On the painting are you guys gonna prime this plastic? I heard rustoleum makes a good white plastic primer.

Also are you gonna mask off the black areas and then spray them as well? Or should the black areas be hand painted with a quality brush?

Re: Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

thank you for posting this video! the kylo is on my list, the black series is even higher on the list that thing looks beautiful! i noticed it has a glass visor, the celebration 7 pictures i tried looking but it looked like there was no visor at all, and i figured movie magic cgi'ed his eyes out

i havent really been following any kylo threads, until my girlfriend surprised me with the black series saber last week. now with this helmet i wonder if theres enough time to make a quick costume for dec 18th..

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for posting this video! the kylo is on my list, the black series is even higher on the list that thing looks beautiful! i noticed it has a glass visor, the celebration 7 pictures i tried looking but it looked like there was no visor at all, and i figured movie magic cgi'ed his eyes out

i havent really been following any kylo threads, until my girlfriend surprised me with the black series saber last week. now with this helmet i wonder if theres enough time to make a quick costume for dec 18th..

so with very little kylo experience, is there new found evidence the helmet has lenses?

I just took the velcro pieces off of the Kylo Ren helmet. Without them, the two sides fit together pretty well. I'll probably just glue them together and sand the seams down a bit and not bother with filling in with bondo, since it'll be under a hood.
Edit- Here it is with the velcro removed, two parts glued together and primed for sanding.
01-a.jpg

Last edited:
I just took the velcro pieces off of the Kylo Ren helmet. Without them, the two sides fit together pretty well. I'll probably just glue them together and sand the seams down a bit and not bother with filling in with bondo, since it'll be under a hood.
Edit- Here it is with the velcro removed, two parts glued together and primed for sanding.
View attachment 526313

Looks fantastic. I love all these mods to the Rubies stuff. Great foundations. I hope to post my pics this weekend [emoji6]

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I FINALLY found the Kylo helmet! I had to drive pretty far to a Target in another town and a Manager had to dig through a ton of boxes to find it. It's big, but I think that it will look proportionate. I plan on overhauling the entire thing. Probably use the Spray Chrome System and paint the black over that.

You need a black base coat for the chrome anyways, so you might as well do your black first, then mask off for the chrome. If you try masking the chrome then painting black you're likely to ruin the finish

You need a black base coat for the chrome anyways, so you might as well do your black first, then mask off for the chrome. If you try masking the chrome then painting black you're likely to ruin the finish

For sure. I found out the hard way on an IM helmet. Complete disaster.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107.jpg

I got a PM from another member who didn't quite understand what I meant about the mouth guard paint, so I just wanted to clarify.

The area over the mouth has a metallic base tone, and the black is misted/spattered on over it. If you look closely you can see many black specks making up the darkness, and the scratches and weathering goes right to the metallic base. It is not chrome on the faceplate, and it also is not solid black. (I also believe that goes for the rest of the helmet, but there just isn't enough reference to know for sure.)

I hope this clears up what I was saying. :)

(Side note, you can chrome over a white base coat as well if you know the technique. It takes some practice and gives a different result than the black base, but it looks good nevertheless.) :)

Wait, you mean there is actually spray chrome that's available, instead of just shiny silver spray paint? Please, tell me more!!! (yes, I'm serious. I was just going to use silver spray paint for the silver areas but if there is something better, I'm willing to learn)
I just primed my gray for the sanding stage.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back