66 Miata Batmobile Build

Sounds like a plan. I do enjoy the cartoonish look you're going for as well as the more serious options I offered earlier.

Nate, the leader of Star Car Central is also involved with the busy forums at 1966batmobile.com - I'm sure those guys could help you get some of the hardware once your body is in place.

One day someone will build an "Outrigger" batmobile car. My next dream car project (after I'm done with the transforming Knight Rider Super Pursuit Mode car, two Herbies and the Bond BMW) is a V12 supercharged 1930s "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" roadster based on the Fleming novel, but after that there's always the chance that some small framed rear-engined car could be a bat-project for me in the future.

--Brian

creebobby, this is definitely a project I'm looking forward to seeing completed!
Keep up the work.
(y)thumbsup

One day someone will build an "Outrigger" batmobile car.
--Brian

I would REALLY love to see the second two of Breyfogle's "outrigger" designs made.

I always thought that later model MR2's or NSX's would be great base cars for these conversions (even though the Honda and Acura NSX concepts would be even more ideal IMO).

Here's how I make diagonal cuts in foam - I line up the bottom edge with the edge of the work table and line up the yardstick where I want the cut on top.
I got 12 yardsticks for free at a church garage sale - looks like their advertising scheme finally worked!

The rig:
View attachment 44828
The cut piece:
View attachment 44829

To trim straight where I've already glued the peices, I glue on popsicle sticks and use them as a cutting guide:
View attachment 44830

I put in a full day of work today, made the eyebrows, doubled the side supports and started working out the mouth and headlight supports.

here's the view from inside the car:
View attachment 44831

Here's the frame at the end of the day:
View attachment 44832

And then my wife gets home from work . . .

View attachment 44833

(She's very understanding. :) )

i'm pretty sure there was a miata with the 60s batmobile paint scheme in a batman fan film a few years ago. might be worth checking out to see what it might look like...

It was a Audi TT in the fan trailer Grayson I believe.

Anyway this sounds like an excellent little project ^_^ Good luck man!

Great progress... cant wait to see this thing done... Whats the plan? Are you going to make molds and sell body kits? This would be a hit for sure..

Wow, you're really making fast progress here. GREAT job.

You're crazy, btw, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. :)

Dude, you are Batspit insane!!! Awesome work so far.

I will probably be heading out to Austin in a couple of months to visit a friend and would love to see this thing in person.

One of the guys that is one of the heads of the industrial design department at the Academy of Art in San Francisco is the guy that originally designed the Miata. I have some friends in there that would probably love to send him some pictures of this when it is done.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back