Bellatrix or Blackthorn Wand - a little help please?

The14thDr

Sr Member
I really like the curved wands in the Harry Potter films, and I wanted to make my replicas using a single piece of dowel (either 1/2” or 5/8” thick). I wondered if anyone has any ideas - I have read about steam bending but I don’t really have the facilities for that, so I was hoping there’d be some other method I haven’t heard about.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

P.S. Here’s the kind of bend I’m hoping to achieve:
d24a0f0e527004d1fc8aae94c4f47222.jpg

71a3ee054b31a9318a14da88d00da2d8.jpg

I would not use a dowel for this. this seems like something you may want to go find a nice natural bend in a branch of hardwood or willow then carve it down by hand. if you cant go out and play in nature go buy a small hardwood flat board (think small shelf) with good grain and cut the curve out of with a bandsaw or scroll saw then carve it down. bending wood is a pain in the butt and outside of some very specific projects, i try to avoid it. if you're trying to do it on the cheap you could knock it out of MDF real easy and add detail with epoxy sculpt then paint it. heck, I bet I have a chunk of firewood lying around somewhere that would make a good wand or two...

Thanks typeomega. [emoji4] I reckon it should be easy to find a nice curved branch that I can use. Carving it shouldn’t be too difficult either; I make all of my wooden wands by hand (no lathes for me!)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back